• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

casual hats thread!

mfais

Reaction score
I have been wanting to get a casual hat. Maybe a straw pork pie, a driver cap...even a newsboy.

Any tips on picking a shape or style for different shaped heads? Smaller brims for smaller features/narrower bodies, any kind of rules of thumb about that?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like this thread to do well... however i have no info to give.

skunkworks

Reaction score
rejectedicon.gif

I feel silly wearing hats for some reason. Are there people who just aren't suited for hats? Am I nuts? Baseball bats?

Stewie

Reaction score
Hit up a hat shop and sit yourself in front of a mirror and try on the different styles. Some folks just dont look good in a hat, others look good in any style. It has to be something you like, bring a friend, wife, gf or significant other along as well so that they can give you honest criticism will help as well.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own and wear a lot of hats. Picking one that looks good is not that hard. The hard part is wearing it well. If you're self conscious and fiddle with it constantly you won't pull it off.

My favorite hat is a a bowler. Next in line would be what's referred to as a safari style hat.

4825bfa5.jpg

You know it just might be time for a?

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I have a straw panama fedora of medium quality (probably retailed for ~$100-120) which I got at a hat shop that I've been wearing semi-regularly in the summer. It doesn't look out of place with a suit, but because it's straw, I feel comfortable wearing it with cut off shorts, a t-shirt, and boat shoes. It's saved me from facial sunburn several times.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I own only a couple summer headwear things. One's a Columbia safari thing that I wear if I'm doing outdoorsy play or work (kayaking, hiking, yardworkd, etc.). The other's a nice driver's cap I picked up at J. Crew for 15 bucks. I wear that if I'm going to be outdoors a lot and want to protect my balding head. Other than those, I think hats look silly.

chiamdream

Reaction score
What do people think of this? It's kind of silly to be buying a hat from the Bob Denver online store, but this looks a little nicer than other bucket hats. I don't wear hats often, but I don't want to bake when I'm out in the sun all day.
GIhatGG.jpg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good bucket hats are among the hardest things to find, hat-wise. I probably wouldnt dare get one online, since the fit has to be pretty right for it not to look marsupialed. I really want to try out EG and WWM, but have yet to see em irl.

Otherwise, I like cotton porkpies, well made and clean baseball ahts and tweed ivy/news boy hats for casual. Im a big head wear fan myself, but sometimes "less is more", and ive only got a few hats in stady rotation

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiamdream
What do people think of this? It's kind of silly to be buying a hat from the Bob Denver online store, but this looks a little nicer than other bucket hats. I don't wear hats often, but I don't want to bake when I'm out in the sun all day.

GIhatGG.jpg

Try here instead.

mfais

Reaction score
no tips on how to choose the right one other than wearing and trying them out?

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like wearing hats quite a bit, used to wear regular baseball caps and some variants back in socal when I was younger, now I mostly wear hats in fall/winter since it keeps me warmer up here in canada, however I dont feel comfortable with baseball caps anymore, no longer goes with my style and wouldnt wear one to the office either, also they're not warm enough for fall/winter temperatures here.

I initially went to several hat stores and tried a shitload of different types of hats, most didnt fit my head/face type or my current style, but finally found that the newsboy cap fit me well and look pretty damn good too, so I ended up getting 3 identical wool newsboy hats (dark brown, med grey and dark blue almost black) that I found by accident @UO, dont really like much stuff in that store so was pretty surpriced when I found them there.

They're actually pretty good quality, dont remember the make though and I'm pretty sure I removed the tags on all of them 'cuz they kinda bothered me a bit but I'll double check, they were about $30 or $35 each, they all work well from semi-formal to casual/streetwear which is great and they all have like little sprinkles of several colors in the material (like tiny off-colored spots within the main wools color) and they all blend in pretty well with most color combos, besides with those 3 main colors I can pretty wear one with most outfits in my wardrobe.

Stokely

Reaction score
I've worn hats off and on for the majority of my life. In my 20s it was due to some ridiculous insecurity about balding.

I rarely wear ballcaps. Mostly porkpies, derbies, skullies, kangols (when done tastefully).

Usually these hats come from unusual places. I don't think I could buy online. I probably couldn't spend too much money on one either......they get wrecked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics