• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I appreciate the previous gen of cars that give you a warning light that says "low oil". You can look at it and say, oh my oil is low. I should go buy more.

The other day my wife's Macan said "engine control fault - driving permitted". What the **** is an engine control fault?? And who's good graces am I relying on now so that I am permitted to drive?!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The PL is moderated by AMG employees so it's actually a good perk of owning an AMG over BMW M or Porsche since I don't think neither of them have anything similar. They do monthly giveaways, $500 certificate towards the purchase of a new AMG, 20% off AMG Driving Academy, etc.

Also if there's a serious issue with your car and your dealer is having trouble fixing it you can raise it up on the PL and someone from AMG will get involved. I know there was one person with an S63 AMG that needed a new windshield and the dealer couldn't get it and quoted like 2-3months in the shop. The person brought it up on the PL and AMG shipped the windshield like the next week.
Sounds like a really cool forum with some nice perks. No, Porsche doesn't have anything like an AMG lounge. I can't speak for BMW but a friend who is big into BMWs, owns and M3, and is on the board of BMWCCA's local chapter never mentioned an "M Lounge." The giveaway for AMG driving academy would be very nice. I know with purchase of the car she gets to go to 1 day AMG driving academy for free...but that is probably just for 1 person, so a discount for person #2 would be nice.

Also cool that the AMG employees look out for customers and can provide help when necessary.
Thanks again for info on the private lounge.

So when is she taking it to an autocross?

Is that a dealer dependent thing? I thought some subie dealerships did have loaners. I could be completely mistaken though. You just got this car too right? New as well?
lol8[1].gif
I doubt she will do autocross with it. She liked autocross when she did it, it was with Boxters...which are a lot lighter and smaller. Still with a lot more power than she is used to, I'm sure she will enjoy the new car wherever she drives it. Plus she is can go for a free day of driving school at the AMG driving academy.

The Subie dealers I have used in the past didn't have loaners. They are affiliated with a rental car company like enterprise. If the car is under warranty and needs warranty work, and its a significant amount of work, sometimes they will cover the rental car cost. Also, one dealer occasionally sends coupons or has service specials on their website for a free rental car if you are having work done that is $250 or more.

I do know one of the bigger local dealers in New England (Lexus, Infinity, BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, etc), used to have a loaner car policy whereby if they notify you that the work on your car is completed, and you keep the free loaner car for more than 4 hours after you are notified, they whack you with a $40 rental car fee. The MB place near us, if I'm at a meeting and can't get the car back to them before they close and I return it early the next morning, its no big deal and they don't hit you with some silly rental fee.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
We ordered Mrs. Dino's new daily driver, a C43, a few months ago and tonight it came home. Wife seems happy, and you know what they say, "Happy wife, happy life!"

I test drove this car around two weeks ago and I LOVED it. Interior was luxurious, exhaust was nuts. Felt considerably more substantial and faster than the CLA45 that I drove. I'm seriously considering spending ~20k more on one of these than on a used M3/C63. I might pester you via PM if I an considering ponying up for one in a few months.

Plus, since I'm in Canada, all wheel drive would be nice. S5/S4 is a good alternative, but I loved the bratty exhaust noise of C43.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
The PL is moderated by AMG employees so it's actually a good perk of owning an AMG over BMW M or Porsche since I don't think neither of them have anything similar. They do monthly giveaways, $500 certificate towards the purchase of a new AMG, 20% off AMG Driving Academy, etc.

Also if there's a serious issue with your car and your dealer is having trouble fixing it you can raise it up on the PL and someone from AMG will get involved. I know there was one person with an S63 AMG that needed a new windshield and the dealer couldn't get it and quoted like 2-3months in the shop. The person brought it up on the PL and AMG shipped the windshield like the next week.
This seems like a great initiative. something other companies could learn from.
best i get here is a cup of coffee, and the dearlership owner coming outside to help me wrench in the parking lot.
lol8[1].gif

My low oil light came on for 2 seconds then went away. Hasn't been back since. Checked and it is marginally (at the low end of full line).

Only at 3k miles since my last service. Dealer said they could do an oil consumption test, and it is likely bad piston rings. Dealer what's $6k to do it if that's the case.

I call bullshit because this is a well known issue on a small percentage of 2006 and 2007 GSs. There is even a service bulletin, and Lexus was doing it proactively on cars up until 70 or 80k miles.

The other option is just to periodically top off or do more regular oil changes.
what oil are you running? if a 5w-30 , you could run a 10w-40 oil. which might slow consumption somewhat.

brokencycle

Reaction score
This seems like a great initiative. something other companies could learn from.
best i get here is a cup of coffee, and the dearlership owner coming outside to help me wrench in the parking lot.
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

what oil are you running? if a 5w-30 , you could run a 10w-40 oil. which might slow consumption somewhat.

I believe it is 5w-20 per the manual.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not had a loaner from a "non-luxury" brand, just rentals. I had a rental when the clutch was being replaced on my GTI and now a rental from the Outback. The MB dealer is only a mile from work so I have a tech drop me off and pick me up instead of getting a loaner but if it was something larger, I would get a loaner.

Low oil lights are interesting in cars without dipsticks....you just have to trust the computer is reading everything correctly.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
yup, been doing some reading. there are 2 issues with that engine.

1.Carbon buildup.
2.Ring clearances.

- do an engine clean flush. run a slightly thicker oil. good to go.
fing02[1].gif

not sure of your wrench level. so forgive me if i am speaking what you already know.
- Running a thicker oil is an old trick for Turbo cars and higher mileage engines. just run the absolute best you can. at a 10w30-40. let it warm before you drive it. to make sure the oil has got around. doing a engine flush will help it all get around better. also removing a majority of carbon buildup. at running temp the thicker oil should be fine. and not burn through so much.

well, that's my take on it.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As opposed to CAI/long tube headers/chip for a meager ~20hps/torque or this and a whipple supercharger to get into the 440s I'm looking at full on crate motors 525hp. (well beyond the 5.3L 'hoe's benchmark 6.2L denali/'slade cousins at 420). It'd be hilarious to have a sleeper Caymankiller at the lights (for reference I lost a slingshot against a frickin CRV the other day with my current stock 320hp lol). Aside from taking my project from ~$3/4k to 10(!) I'm like 'what the hell is the resale on a stock vortec 5.3 with 70k klix'? Probably sit in my garage for months and generate repeated complaints from the wife. Ideally the performance shop could sell it for me. Another issue is the stock brakes may likely be inadequate with this much HP. Champion Motors east end is the only full service serious GM tuner in town. Gets stellar reviews on all the forums. Ima head out there for a complete diligence on my options next Saturday. :)

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New caymans are all over 300 hp, half your weight, and most have the lightning fast pdk. I know you're talking figuratively, but with them as a benchmark you need to shoot for more than 525 hp and change dem lame stock tires that will just turn into smoke

And crate motors are a bear to dial in. That car will sit in a garage for weeks, cashing checks, while the shop is doing that. Coincidentally I just spent an hour last night with my buddy listening to him ***** about his Mustsng project with a crate motor

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
As opposed to CAI/long tube headers/chip for a meager ~20hps/torque or this and a whipple supercharger to get into the 440s I'm looking at full on crate motors 525hp. (well beyond the 5.3L 'hoe's benchmark 6.2L denali/'slade cousins at 420). It'd be hilarious to have a sleeper Caymankiller at the lights (for reference I lost a slingshot against a frickin CRV the other day with my current stock 320hp lol). Aside from taking my project from ~$3/4k to 10(!) I'm like 'what the hell is the resale on a stock vortec 5.3 with 70k klix'? Probably sit in my garage for months and generate repeated complaints from the wife. Ideally the performance shop could sell it for me. Another issue is the stock brakes may likely be inadequate with this much HP. Champion Motors east end is the only full service serious GM tuner in town. Gets stellar reviews on all the forums. Ima head out there for a complete diligence on my options next Saturday.
smile.gif

Bruh. Turbo. wheel tubs. slammed. federal 595RR's. can describe this vision in greater detail......

Get yourself a medium sized turbo. like a T67. a front mount intercooler kit. a fuel system. and ecu. put it all in a box and seek out the most Jedi indie with a sense of humor you can find.
lol8[1].gif
600hp is not a big ask for a V8.

Last edited:

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol - I knew hroi would be all over that Cayman dig :p Flooring it you'd probably be neck and neck rather than "lose" the slingshot which is still a massive improvement. Yeah crate is a helluva project. Offline way longer is a crucial point I hadn't considered. So much room around the 5.3 in the engine bay though lol. They shoulda done 6.2 for the entire lineup, yargh.

Vader- I thought supercharger > turbo for power, non?

brokencycle

Reaction score

yup, been doing some reading. there are 2 issues with that engine.

1.Carbon buildup.
2.Ring clearances.

- do an engine clean flush. run a slightly thicker oil. good to go.
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

not sure of your wrench level. so forgive me if i am speaking what you already know.
- Running a thicker oil is an old trick for Turbo cars and higher mileage engines. just run the absolute best you can. at a 10w30-40. let it warm before you drive it. to make sure the oil has got around. doing a engine flush will help it all get around better. also removing a majority of carbon buildup. at running temp the thicker oil should be fine. and not burn through so much.

well, that's my take on it.

What do you recommend for an engine flush?

The dealer should have done that as part of the 120k maintenance if I'm not mistaken, but what do I know?

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vader- I thought supercharger > turbo for power, non?
Are you trolling?

Superchargers are a drag on the engine itself. They take power to make power. (engine drag)
Turbos are basically free power because they run off of the exhaust which is always there. (which is also what causes "turbo lag" when the turbos need the extra rpms to spool)

In adding the power, superchargers are usually easier than turbos.

Why not just spray nitrous? Cheap and easy.
peepwall[1].gif

Kaizen

Reaction score
After many years of owning vehicles that just get me from Point A to Point B, I picked up this E350. It's a 2014, and only had 12,500 miles on it. I may still be in the honeymoon phase, but this is a car I actually look forward to driving.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After many years of owning vehicles that just get me from Point A to Point B, I picked up this E350. It's a 2014, and only had 12,500 miles on it. I may still be in the honeymoon phase, but this is a car I actually look forward to driving.

I came dangerously close to buying one of these not too long ago. Nice car, nice interior

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads