• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for the responses!!
The car is 20,995, it had every single option added when purchased new, and like I said was sent to Dinan in Silicon Valley to be upgraded. I'm not sure exactly whats on it, I know it has full exhaust, new intake, and "motor upgrades" as well as a tune of course. To those comparing Subarus to BMW's I didn't mind the cost of subarus they just don't have anything that interests me. I'm use to a high service cost, and dont mind it, I've just heard too many horror stories to jump in without asking. I figured a lot of people on the forum would own BMW's and it looks like I was right. Again THANK YOU for all the responses, I really appreciate it!!!
Personally, if shopping for a higher level performance BMW, I'd rather have an M series car than a car that was sent to Dinan for upgrades. Good luck and happy shopping!

deepitm

Reaction score
@white collar, I would agree with @Dino944 here. It's def gonna be more expensive than a Subaru. It will not be in Porsche territory for the parts, but the services are nearly comparable (at least around here where BMW mechanic hourly rate is almost as high as Porsche).

I think 3k of work (including regular service, oil changes, inspection 1/2, tires) is probably a reasonable estimate. If I had to guess, I would say $1500 worth of work to my '06 M3 over 2 years of ownership and 12k miles. Keep in mind I do not work on my own cars. If you can @GreenFrog it, you can probably do it for less. He can even help you jack it!

deepitm

Reaction score
That said, sounds like a good car @white collar and not a terrible price.

white collar

Reaction score
That said, sounds like a good car @white collar and not a terrible price.

3k Per year for service sounds fine to me, the lack of an M badge was something that bothered me but my insurance would rather me not have something with an M badge.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the lack of an M badge was something that bothered me but my insurance would rather me not have something with an M badge.
I definitely get the insurance issue. Although, I think you probably get a better built, engineered, and maybe more reliable car when its something designed, made, and tested by the factory, rather than something that is sent to an aftermarket place to add on a bunch of upgrades. Wishing you luck with your potential purchase.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what sort of nuts insurance you guys have. I have State Farm 1k deductible 100k/300k/unlimited umbrella for ~$240 a month combined between my M4, P85D and my renters in California.

Also, there's a negligible difference between a 320i and an M3/4 in my case.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I pay about 160 a month for one car : (

(But I drive about 2k miles/month so that probably doesn't help)

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mileage shouldn't really matter much if you have a clean driving history. I'd cross shop.

I did. In the same way you can get a low mileage discount, many charge extra for high mileage. (not explicitly, but still)

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Dino944. I've owned several BMWs, Mercedes and Audis since the 80's. One theme remains constant "The higher the mileage, the more constant and expensive repairs. My wife and I each drive about 25k to 30k a year. We put the high miles on our 2 Hondas and reserve the BMW and Audi for fun days. She thought I was crazy at first, but now she gets it.

It is no fun shelling out $1,000 every other month after warranties run out. And I must say also, after the Germans reach 100k miles, the BMW mechanics scratch their heads on most repairs they have no expertise in and troubleshoot on your dime. They wanted to charge me $8,000 at the dealer to repair carbon buildup on my 545i.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Dino944. I've owned several BMWs, Mercedes and Audis since the 80's. One theme remains constant "The higher the mileage, the more constant and expensive repairs. My wife and I each drive about 25k to 30k a year. We put the high miles on our 2 Hondas and reserve the BMW and Audi for fun days. She thought I was crazy at first, but now she gets it.

It is no fun shelling out $1,000 every other month after warranties run out. And I must say also, after the Germans reach 100k miles, the BMW mechanics scratch their heads on most repairs they have no expertise in and troubleshoot on your dime. They wanted to charge me $8,000 at the dealer to repair carbon buildup on my 545i.
Most of my friends with nice cars, particularly those with sports cars, tend to have average cars for everyday, to put high miles on or for grocery store or department store parking lots (where a really nice car could pick up some shopping cart dings.

Yes, as the cars head into the higher mileage ranges when more repairs tend to be made, it seems rare to find great techs at dealers who can diagnose a problem and fix it, rather than simply replace all the parts around an issue until the problem goes away (which is what they are used to doing while the cars are under warranty). Most of my friends and I who own sports cars that are roughly 15+ years old or older tend to bring those cars to independents, as some of our cars are older than the techs at dealerships and they have little to no experience on anything that they can't just plug into a computer.

$8K for carbon build up ...ouch!!! Hope someone else took care of it for a fraction of that amount...if that was even the issue.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. I agree 100%. I found an independent to do it --- for less than a grand.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine got a wheel & tire warranty from BMW for $2400 or so and it has been worth every penny. Scratched wheel? Refinish or replace. Bent or cracked wheel? Replace. Bubble in tire? Replace. In the last year he has probably had 6 wheels replaced and bent another one just last week. Its a 550 with M wheels and those damned run flats so you know they cost

Last edited:

white collar

Reaction score
Lack of warranty is the main reason I'm thing about walking away. As for the insurance thing, I'm 20 and totaled 3 very nice cars my first year driving.. they hate me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads