• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring for Leather Interiors of Shoes?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear everyone,

I've noticed there is something of a dearth of information out there on how to care for the leather interiors of shoes. What sort of products and how often should they be applied to assure that the leather insides do not deteriorate over time and become unwearable and, worse, unfixable?

For instance: I noticed that my 6-month old Allen Edmonds Jefferson 2.0s were showing a serious discolouration in their sheepskin lining from where, presumably, the sweat around my ankle was staining the interior. How do you avoid damage from that and what can you do to protect the leather from your own sweat harming it?

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Although there is significant information regarding the care and feeding of shoes...including linings and insoles...on this forum, your specific question raises all sorts of issues. If your perspiration is caustic enough to rot out a lining or even to begin to affect a lining within 6 months, then there may be no remedy. It's your body chemistry.

@patrickBOOTH --a long time member of this forum has expressed similar frustrations.

That said, sheepskin is not really regarded as good choice leather for shoemaking, esp. linings, and is known for peeling and deteriorating long before something like calf.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although there is significant information regarding the care and feeding of shoes...including linings and insoles...on this forum, your specific question raises all sorts of issues. If your perspiration is caustic enough to rot out a lining or even to begin to affect a lining within 6 months, then there may be no remedy. It's your body chemistry.

@patrickBOOTH --a long time member of this forum has expressed similar frustrations.

That said, sheepskin is not really regarded as good choice leather for shoemaking, esp. linings, and is known for peeling and deteriorating long before something like calf.

I mean, it definitely isn't burning through the lining, but it definitely is causing a noticable discoloration. The lining feels great, but perhaps in this case it is ap oor choice.

Apologies if I hadn't seen any information elsewhere on the board, but my (admittedly cursory) searches found nothing about it off hand.

Where would you direct me for more information on linings and such?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologies if I hadn't seen any information elsewhere on the board, but my (admittedly cursory) searches found nothing about it off hand.

Where would you direct me for more information on linings and such?

No worries.

As far as other threads, well, you already know of one--The Official Shoe Care Thread.
But sometimes you just have to ask.

And as far as more information, same thing--you have to ask. But when you get down to the nitty gritty and objective facts, probably the most point specific and reliable are those that come from people that actually work with the leather, actively, not passively or in passing--actually make shoes, IOW.

FWIW, I wouldn't ever choose sheepskin or kidskin for a lining. Or, if I had my druthers, chrome tanned or glazed leathers. To be fair, however, not every maker would agree with me on that score.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I recommend the same thing for liners as I do for exteriors--keep them clean and occasionally apply a light non-greasy conditioner such as Bick4.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather with discolor due to oils and other chemical exuded by your skin.
The best way to protect the lining is:
1) give your shoes 1, preferably 2 days of rest between outings.
2) use shoe trees when your shoes are being stored.
3) wear socks

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I recommend the same thing for liners as I do for exteriors--keep them clean and occasionally apply a light non-greasy conditioner such as Bick4.

+1 vote for Bick4.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear everyone,

I've noticed there is something of a dearth of information out there on how to care for the leather interiors of shoes. What sort of products and how often should they be applied to assure that the leather insides do not deteriorate over time and become unwearable and, worse, unfixable?

For instance: I noticed that my 6-month old Allen Edmonds Jefferson 2.0s were showing a serious discolouration in their sheepskin lining from where, presumably, the sweat around my ankle was staining the interior. How do you avoid damage from that and what can you do to protect the leather from your own sweat harming it?

You might also post your discoloration question in the AE thread. I don’t recall anyone ever posing the question or noting the phenomenon there. I have two pair from the Indy line, the Jefferson 1.0 and the Hopkinson, and not experienced any discoloration of the lining. Of course, that a tiny sample size but I’ve had each pair for a few years.

Regarding non-sheepskin linings, please record another vote for Bick 4. It’s great stuff, can be applied bare handed, and is relatively inexpensive. And in my experience it will not over condition the leather. The leather seems to absorb only what it needs and any excess can be simply wiped off.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather with discolor due to oils and other chemical exuded by your skin.
The best way to protect the lining is:
1) give your shoes 1, preferably 2 days of rest between outings.
2) use shoe trees when your shoes are being stored.
3) wear socks

I do all three of those for sure. I've over a dozen pair of shoes, so I hardly wear a single pair of shoes more than once a week, excluding shoes I don't care too much about.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As it so happens, I used Saphir creme universale, and then some renovateur on the linings and they are quite moisturized now. I'll pick up some Bick4 soon to try it for the next time.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For reference, here is the discolouration which still shows.

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_0452188.jpg
    IMG_20200310_0452188.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200310_0452543.jpg
    IMG_20200310_0452543.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 38

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads