• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cao Minh Tailor Vietnam

Rekevalate

Reaction score
Hi,

Mat had some experience with Cao Minh tailors in Vietnam. I gave them a go and here is the result if anyone is interested. I was going to use Dung Tailors but did not have enough time.

Any comments are appreciated.

Rekevalate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Sleeves are long, otherwise looks good. How's the construction?

Thanks for the advice. I'll get the sleeves shorten by about 1.5cm. That should be about enough.

The jacket is canvassed, 2 button, dual vents and made using super 100's fabric with a very firm hand.

Rekevalate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Agree that the sleeves are a touch too long, and I might opt for just a little more waist suppression, but otherwise, it's very nice.

I have a very unatheletic build
confused.gif
so I have to be careful with my waist suppression. The jacket already has no give in the body but I'll see what my tailor can do.

By the way, that's a very cool avatar you have. Who is the guy?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Yeah there is something about the sleeves (baggy maybe?)

Ill drag your post from the other thread over here, keep it all together.

Originally Posted by Rekevalate
1. They're damn expensive compared to everyone else

about the same as Dung, but youre right, double to triple the street vendor guys.
2. They're slightly inconsistent i.e. three suits made, each with very slight differences i.e. sleeves in one suit longer than sleeves in another
a little deviation isnt a bad thing, but youd think theyd get the sleeves even.

3. They make great ladies suits
what you choose to do in the privacy of your own.......

4. Customer service is average
Probably better than Dung - his wife/translator can get quite snappy. Shes nice to me (cos I make her money), but can be a little intimidating.

5. They took nearly a month dispite my request for quick service
Thats weird, they normally bang em out in a few days for the tourists. Dung takes a month or more, but he warns you of it up front.

I don't know how good they are at bespoke though cause I gave them one of my bespoke suits to copy. They did a good job copying the details and measurements.
So what did it cost all up? When is the next trip?

Rekevalate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Yeah there is something about the sleeves (baggy maybe?)

Ill drag your post from the other thread over here, keep it all together.

about the same as Dung, but youre right, double to triple the street vendor guys.

a little deviation isnt a bad thing, but youd think theyd get the sleeves even.

what you choose to do in the privacy of your own.......

Probably better than Dung - his wife/translator can get quite snappy. Shes nice to me (cos I make her money), but can be a little intimidating.

Thats weird, they normally bang em out in a few days for the tourists. Dung takes a month or more, but he warns you of it up front.

So what did it cost all up? When is the next trip?

Haha, a little cross dressing on the weekends doesn't hurt anybody
tounge.gif
. Nah, it's for my girlfriend.

The cost of the fabric is A$110 and the tailoring is A$109. I'll be back in Vietnam maybe when I finish my professional year of study. The sleeves are a little large cause my arms are pretty big. In fact, all my limbs are not in proportion to the rest of my body. I blame my unusual body shape on my dad's genes. I get all my suits tailored for this reason.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My impression from reading this post is that there isn't much of a drop-off in quality between Dung and Cao Minh. Can someone who have had tried both(m@t,..) confirm this? Thanks,

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
no, i would not agree with that.

I consider Cao Minh the best of the tourist tailors. I consider Dung the best tailor in the country.

Certainly among expats, diplomats and ultra rich locals, Dung is the tailor of choice.

Cao Minh is starting to franchise now, think they have four stores, but their customers are almost all tourists. They fuse them and bang them out in 48 hours - and by 48 hour turnaround time standards, they are OK.

If I was on holiday and wanted to take my suit with me, yeah, Id go to CM.

The OP requested canvassing and it took a month to arrive - in this case, I'd use Dung, hands down.

The fit, detailing, cloth available, attention to detail and so forth at Dung are a lot better. Cao Minh has friendlier staff sure, but Id rather a better suit. I have a Cao Minh suit that I never wear because I was very unhappy with it (documented elsewhere), and would not go to Cao Minh again.

Rekevalate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
no, i would not agree with that.

I consider Cao Minh the best of the tourist tailors. I consider Dung the best tailor in the country.

Certainly among expats, diplomats and ultra rich locals, Dung is the tailor of choice.

Cao Minh is starting to franchise now, think they have four stores, but their customers are almost all tourists. They fuse them and bang them out in 48 hours - and by 48 hour turnaround time standards, they are OK.

If I was on holiday and wanted to take my suit with me, yeah, Id go to CM.

The OP requested canvassing and it took a month to arrive - in this case, I'd use Dung, hands down.

The fit, detailing, cloth available, attention to detail and so forth at Dung are a lot better. Cao Minh has friendlier staff sure, but Id rather a better suit. I have a Cao Minh suit that I never wear because I was very unhappy with it (documented elsewhere), and would not go to Cao Minh again.

I can only comment on their construction skills as I gave them a suit to copy and gave them fabric I bought in Australia. I've tried Baron Boutique, My Suit Shop and tailors in Hong Kong. I've also had suits made by tailors in Australia. These guys are as good or better than the others I have tried.

Having said this, I still think you should choose someone else other than Cao Minh as other tailors in Vietnam would be able to do the same job for cheaper or do a better job for the same price.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
I went to Cao Minh's District 3 branch last week to try them out and see how they compare to the tailor I've been going to, and as I was waiting when I went back there for the fitting, they showed off this ridiculous Scabal wool pinstripe and chalkstripe fabric, where the pinstripes weren't made of wool, they were made out of solid gold thread. They said it was $1500 a meter. You couldn't tell it was gold until you were close to the fabric. I thought the very thought of having a black suit with real god pinstripes was a little silly, and I tried to joke with them and said "woah, I bet that's dry clean only, huh?" and the very seriously replied "yes, dry clean only." They also had a slightly less expensive Scabal fabric ($1300/meter) which had diamond dust embedded into it somehow, although there was no way to tell that by looking at it. I commented on this to the lady there, and she said, "yes, but you know that it has diamonds in it." Huh? What I'm wondering is, why would anyone get a suit made out of this stuff? Anyway, I'm picking up my regular old-fashioned cashmere suit from them tomorrow, I hope, and I'll show off some pictures or something.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
So here's what I just picked up from Cao Minh, a 2-button 3-piece cashemere suit. It seems to be well-made, considering I only ordered it 8 days ago. It feels a little baggier than I had hoped, but other than that, it's fine. I don't think the shirt I got to go with it was worth the price, however. I won't pass judgment on them until I get another suit from them. But so far, I'm happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads