• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvassed RLPL vs. fused Armani Collezioni Tux and Silk-trim Lapels for guest at black tie wedding??

brisoh

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

This Saturday I'm attending an old friend's wedding. I am 27 years old and since I have at least a couple weddings coming up soon, I decided to purchase a tuxedo. My budget was about $1,000 for the tuxedo. I read some advice on other forums and decided to shop online for the best value. I ordered two tuxedos and must decide which one I will keep for the wedding. The first one is a new Ralph Lauren Purple Label Drake with tags for $5,300 that I acquired for $1,100. I've tried it on and it fits very nice aside from armholes that are a bit too low (DAMN all these companies for shifting toward bigger armholes on all their suits!). It's currently at the cleaner (I know, not great to dry clean a tuxedo but I had to) because I was very allergic to it after putting it on and am hoping that it just had some dust from being in storage that a good dry clean can take care of. The second tuxedo I will receive tomorrow morning. It is an Armani Collezioni "soft new line" tuxedo for which I paid $750 (retail for about $2,000).

Now I'm looking for advice. I'm 27, just over 6' (probably and extra inch and a half in my long neck), and about 180 lbs. I'm slim compared to the average American but not super slim. I'm looking for that sleek, fitted, but not too trendy/fashionable appearance. Both tuxedos are one-button with shawl lapel, besom pockets, and ventless. Firstly, I'd like thoughts on keeping the canvassed RLPL vs. the fused Armani Collezioni that may a bit slimmer/ligher (I live in Florida). Also, the Armani Collezioni actually comes with "silk-trimmed" lapels. For anyone unfamiliar, it is a lapel that has a thin line of satin facing around the perimeter as opposed to the entire lapel being faced with silk. My main question is... what is the general consensus on the appearance of satin-trimmed lapels for a black tie wedding? I know they aren't the norm but according to the "Black Tie Guide" they are a valid alternative. I'm just not sure about the look, as it calls a little more attention. Any thoughts on these matters are much appreciated.

The RLPL Drake tuxedo:
The Armani Collezioni with silk-trim lapels

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RLPL all the way. The lapels on the Armani are hideous.

Last edited:

brisoh

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually chose to keep the RLPL and wore it for the wedding. I think it looked unbelievable. I now have to decide whether to return the armani. It was a good deal and it is a very light fabric. I was considering keeping it, mainly to use the jacket to dress up a pair of jeans for special occasions that aren't "black tie." Are the lapels that bad? From a fasion/ style perspective, I want to like them, but....

brisoh

Reaction score
jrd617, you're video post to the thread "The tragedy of life and clothes that "make a man"" was hilarious.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads