• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't decide between NST boots and cap toe service boots

thms

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently looking for some new boots and need some advice. I'm torn between a NST boot and a "classic" service boot with a toe cap. While the latter is seen very often, I haven't seen NST in the wilds so far.

I'm planning to wear them mainly with raw denim and sometimes with chinos.

What are your thoughts?

TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-204841.png
    Screenshot_20231028-204841.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20231028-204821.png
    Screenshot_20231028-204821.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 56

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captoes all the way.
I got a pair from Meermin shearling lined for my rare venture into cold territory, burgundy pebble grain captoes with no speed hooks and dainite soles. I love them and when I wore them in the snow my feet remained toasty.

I never got the love for NST and especially not the boot version. I like the pseudo military look of jump boots.

thms

Reaction score
I vote for captoes, esp if you're wearing them with denim. NST with denim looks a little off to me.

NST for your next boot!
Your green boots look amazing. Actually I had the caper green version on my list, too. These would probably go better with black jeans. Not sure about tan or olive chinos though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029-071704.png
    Screenshot_20231029-071704.png
    526.3 KB · Views: 94

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote goes for cap toe!

Badar

Reaction score
Choosing between NST (Norwegian Split Toe) boots and Cap Toe Service boots ultimately depends on your personal style preferences and the occasions you plan to wear them. Here's a comparison to help you make an informed decision:

**NST Boots (Norwegian Split Toe):**

1. **Distinctive Design:** NST boots feature a unique split toe seam on the front, creating a distinctive and visually interesting look. If you appreciate intricate detailing and craftsmanship, NST boots might be the right choice.

2. **Casual Elegance:** NST boots often have a casual and rugged vibe, making them suitable for various casual and semi-formal occasions. They pair well with denim, chinos, and casual trousers.

3. **Versatility:** While they have a distinct design, NST boots can be versatile depending on the leather and sole choice. You can find NST boots in a range of materials, from smooth leather to suede, allowing you to choose a style that suits your preferences.

4. **Heritage Appeal:** NST boots have a long history and are often associated with traditional craftsmanship. If you appreciate classic styles with a touch of heritage, NST boots might appeal to you.

**Cap Toe Service Boots:**

1. **Timeless Classic:** Cap toe service boots are a timeless and versatile choice. They feature a clean and simple design with a cap toe, making them suitable for both casual and formal occasions. These boots can easily transition from work to social events.

2. **Formal Versatility:** Cap toe service boots can be dressed up or down, making them suitable for a wide range of outfits. They look great with tailored suits, business casual attire, and even jeans, offering a high level of versatility.

3. **Minimalist Aesthetic:** If you prefer a clean and minimalist design without intricate detailing, cap toe service boots provide a sleek and understated look.

4. **Durability:** Service boots are often designed with durability in mind, featuring robust construction and high-quality materials that can withstand various weather conditions and everyday wear and tear.

Consider your personal style, the occasions you plan to wear the boots, and the overall aesthetic you prefer. If you appreciate unique detailing and a more casual vibe, NST boots might be the way to go. If you prefer a timeless and versatile option suitable for both formal and casual wear, cap toe service boots could be the better choice.

thms

Reaction score
Thank you for the great summary!

I still didn't come to a decision and in the meantime the Redwing Blacksmith came in as a third option - either in Copper Rough & Tough or in Briar Oil Slick. One advantage would be that I could try them on in a local store. On the other hand they're way more expensive (and therefore of higher quality?).

basu13

Reaction score
Both styles go well with denim. I wear both equally frequently, and think they both work well.

IMG_20231107_113751.jpg
IMG_20231107_113830.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads