• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canon Loyalty Program

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a heads up, if you have a busted Canon of any kind (or buy one for $7 off Ebay hint hint) you can call Canon's Loyalty Program (Google for the number, I forget) and get a great deal on a refurbished compact or SLR.

I called today to try and trade in an ancient SD200 I got off Ebay for a 5D II (which were going for $1699), but the 5D IIs have been pulled from the program. The only quote I asked for was a 7D - $1087. Figure that every model down steps down a couple hundred - $800ish for a 60D, $520 for a Rebel T2i, etc. I hear S95s are going for less than three bills.

I wound up getting a regular refurb 5DII (10% coupon took it down to $1800), but if I had the lenses to make it work (I'd have needed to buy a 24L II to get my preferred 35mm-ish focal length) that 7D price is a steal. I might still get one and use it for... something.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
As a heads up, if you have a busted Canon of any kind (or buy one for $7 off Ebay hint hint) you can call Canon's Loyalty Program (Google for the number, I forget) and get a great deal on a refurbished compact or SLR. I called today to try and trade in an ancient SD200 I got off Ebay for a 5D II (which were going for $1699), but the 5D IIs have been pulled from the program. The only quote I asked for was a 7D - $1087. Figure that every model down steps down a couple hundred - $800ish for a 60D, $520 for a Rebel T2i, etc. I hear S95s are going for less than three bills. I wound up getting a regular refurb 5DII (10% coupon took it down to $1800), but if I had the lenses to make it work (I'd have needed to buy a 24L II to get my preferred 35mm-ish focal length) that 7D price is a steal. I might still get one and use it for... something.
I got to do this with my father in law's old broken G7 two years ago. They only had the G10 replacement for something like $220. I sold the refurb G10 (which was probably brand new) on eBay for near $400. That high of a price was shocking to me since there was G11 out at the time. I did the google coupon/dealnews/ect and found the G11 for even cheaper $360 on overstock. So essentially I profited in my quest to get my father in law a Xmas present. lessons: - its a really really good deal if you can find a super broken one for free -you need to find the kind of people who just keep their old broken electronics (like the elderly). - eBay still has people willing to pay top dollar for older legacy camera models (even used) cons: - its actually hard to find old broken models for cheap because people have caught onto the loyalty programs. eBay nets a lot even for the broken models because of this. - my sister in law ratted me out on what I did and made it look like i took advantage of her father by doing the loyalty program with his old broken G7. (*************). - the models offered are limited and if you "trade up" you pay a lot more to the point where it almost makes sense just to buy the new current model. even brands like Lumix has loyalty programs (I did it to get a TZ5 for my broken TZ3). but you cant really trade up or down like the Canon.. I remember you could even trade in the old broken G7 for a Rebel for $400 which is pretty good.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just how low are the S95s? S90s?

I have a broken canon or two around.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight before I start reading. You can essentially trade in an old or broken camera for a discount on a refurb one? I mean I have an old canon power shot digital I bought in high school like 10 years ago that I can trade in for $x towards a refurb. Jesus.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The non-profit where I work is selling fully refurb'd 5D Mark I's for $1000, body only no lens. These were used as part of a large book scanning program and are being retired after 100k cycles (and replaced with new Mark IIs). Not looking to violate any B&S rules, but if anyone wants to know more, PM me.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i called yesterday. i can trade in my SD600 that is ready crap out soon for an SD1200 for $80, a t2i and a lens for $500, or a G11 for $200ish

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GRRRRRRR

wouldn't you know...the *one* time I decide to throw away some old broken electronics...it is an old canon S500 that stopped working right.

I went to pull it out last night so I could call and check prices...and remembered that I had tossed it (I think my mom still has one that is also on the way out...I'll call her up).

I would love a G11 for $200 or an s95 at a discount (I know they might not have them now, but I can wait)

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S95 (and S90 for that matter) isn't available through the program. lady sort of laughed when i asked about it. oh well.

i might try the t2i

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
S95 (and S90 for that matter) isn't available through the program. lady sort of laughed when i asked about it. oh well.

i might try the t2i

I know they aren't now...but I believe the S90 was at some point and so I would imagine in a few months the S95 will show up when it isn't quite so new.

Right now I have a pretty old canon dSLR body and an SD1200IS. Both are great for what they are but the S95 (or G11 although I'd lose a lot of the pocketability) would basically put the two together into one.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
S95 (and S90 for that matter) isn't available through the program. lady sort of laughed when i asked about it. oh well. i might try the t2i
just sell off the refurbished g11 on eBay. as long as your auction/listing is well made with tons of high quality pics you'll still get around $300 for the G11. with the eBay sale you have seed money for a new S95. Its like getting a s95 for $100.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads