• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can the highest quality raw denim hold up 4 years?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought about the college fashion discussion thread and I was wondering if I bought like some of the highest quality raw denim and plan to wear them for 4 years (probably at least 4 days a week) will they hold up? Which brands should I look for?

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
sure, they can hold up for 10 years. But color is going to fade much faster- from sunlight and pollution (smog), producing a photochemical reaction when you wear it outside. I soak quality jeans in water and the first time i washed it, i saw the water turn murky from the dye fading lol.

apparently theres 2 kinds of dye- one is based on plant extract or something- more expensive and color lasts longer. other is fully chemical and thends to fade relatively easily.

Pre-faded ones will hold their color longer as the most of the fading already has been washed away.

JSTF

Reaction score
ironheart

DrPat

Reaction score
The question is, will you still fit in your jeans you bought before freshman year after thousands of beers and slices of pizza?

If you do attempt this, please document with pics. It would be quite an accomplishment to make it through college on 1 pair of jeans.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be pretty sweet.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are vintage levi's that go for stupid prices from ages ago, which have been worn for 10 years+ (granted the levi's were of better quality then than they are now), you don't need the highest quality raw denim to live through them for 4 years.

The reason you see people getting rips quickly is because they either A) don't wash them often enough (fer bettur fadez) which hastens the wearing process or B) size down till they fit like leggings which causes the denim to be permenantly stretched, eventually giving way to your legs but not before weakening the denim.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the not washing the jeans part.

Sizing down is going to give you more blowouts.

Denim that is easy to fade also will break quicker.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Ironhearts and Somets, as long as they fit you.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well washing in the washing machine will surely do some damage, I meant hand washing/soaking in cold water. I remember hearing that regular washes keeps denim for longer on more than one occasion on superdenim.

Oh and +1 for the flower tag.

centrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrPat
The question is, will you still fit in your jeans you bought before freshman year after thousands of beers and slices of pizza?

If you do attempt this, please document with pics. It would be quite an accomplishment to make it through college on 1 pair of jeans.

+10000000000000000000

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard the opposite as well.

The big difference is cotton quality, weaving speed, pattern and finish. Also, wether you wear it hard or not. Alot of people wear thier denim crazy hard to get fadez.

Speaking of which, when I showed my GF the sufu pic of the cockfade guy she thought it was hilarious.

Don't get cockfadez.

Buy Iron Heart mate.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't understand how people walk around with stinky jeans.

Febreeze them, when that stops working, just wash them.

It's not as if hand washing and drying is going to smash your indigo away anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads