• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can/Should Middle Aged Men Wear Jeans?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the respect thing. My father is well respected in his profession, by any standard, and wears jeans all the time. I think that whether someone looks ridiculous or not depends on whether that person is comfortable in his own skin. This is the opposite of a "desperate attempt to look young". Same thing goes with guys in suits. If you feel good with a jacket, you will look good in that jacket. Otherwise, you will feel, and look, like an organ grinder monkey.

mattjames

Reaction score
I've only ever seen one person wearing nudies, and he was over fifty.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I don't know about the respect thing. My father is well respected in his profession, by any standard, and wears jeans all the time. I think that whether someone looks ridiculous or not depends on whether that person is comfortable in his own skin. This is the opposite of a "desperate attempt to look young". Same thing goes with guys in suits. If you feel good with a jacket, you will look good in that jacket. Otherwise, you will feel, and look, like an organ grinder monkey.
Totally agree with this. I kind of find the question ridiculous (maybe because I'm middle-aged myself; first time I ever uttered it
blush.gif
). I've been wearing jeans since I was 8. Why should I stop now? Of course I wouldn't wear D&G with Swarovski but then again, I wouldn't wear such monstrosities full stop. But really, who are we to tell them not to? Just focus your attention somewhere else--- like the crocodile loafers.
smile.gif

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be 90 years old still wearing jeans. I can't think of any other piece of clothing so classic and versatile at any age.

EdMan

Reaction score
Wow! A post I can really get into. I'm a middle aged 43 yr old guy myself. I think blue jeans are timeless and I intend to keep wearing them as long as I can. I wear suits and dress clothes 5 days a week and I love to unwind in my jeans. I workout and look very fit. However I will not wear jeans with holes and rips in them. I think that's a no no for older men. Nice classic fitting dark denim is the recipe I think works best.

But having said that, wear what you want. Connecting with your style is what it's all about anyway. I love to see tastefully stylish older guys. So many guys can't dress young or old.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I find myself envying older mens jeans on an almost constant basis.

That being said; no one, old men especially should wear demolished denim.

stylish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blenheimer
IMHO this guy, immortalised by the Sartorialist, tends to demonstrate that you can rock selected "streetwear" items with panache well past the "middle age" zone.

meso5.jpg

LOLZ at his clean converses.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I think this thread is teaching me that SW&D actually has an older demographic than MC. Freakin' awesome. Tom

pinchi22

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments. Greatly appreciated. I contribute to other sub-forums here, but it´s the first time I´ve strayed here. I think this is the first time I´ve publicly stated I´m, gulp, middle aged.

1. Chukka boots. Good idea.

2. I want to "act my age". I´ve got no intention of looking like I´m 18. Been there, done that. Think understated, but more original than Levi 501s. I´m seeking suggestions for brands or style that are more or less appropriate. That is where Im comfortable. I´m mature/capable of deciding which ones I like. Yet, I haven´t followed the rapidly evolving jeans culture, so I´m not sure where to begin. I´ve seen other middle aged guys look OK in Zegna, but I´m sure there are much more savvy choices.

3. I´m athletic. I workout at the gym 3 times a week, but I´m short (think 5 foot, 8 inches).

4. Sorry, but I intend to walk around town as much as I like for as long time.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, if he can find a brand that's comfortable enough to wear.

EdMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
Thanks for all your comments. Greatly appreciated. I contribute to other sub-forums here, but it´s the first time I´ve strayed here. I think this is the first time I´ve publicly stated I´m, gulp, middle aged. 1. Chukka boots. Good idea. 2. I want to "act my age". I´ve got no intention of looking like I´m 18. Been there, done that. Think understated, but more original than Levi 501s. I´m seeking suggestions for brands or style that are more or less appropriate. That is where Im comfortable. I´m mature/capable of deciding which ones I like. Yet, I haven´t followed the rapidly evolving jeans culture, so I´m not sure where to begin. I´ve seen other middle aged guys look OK in Zegna, but I´m sure there are much more savvy choices. 3. I´m athletic. I workout at the gym 3 times a week, but I´m short (think 5 foot, 8 inches). 4. Sorry, but I intend to walk around town as much as I like for as long time. Thanks again for any suggestions.
Well Ernest Sewn makes some very nice choices of washed denim. Another would be Rag and Bone. The RB6 is a nice all around jean. APC works well for just about anybody in my opinion however you would probably have to get them hemmed as they run very long. Sizing on them can be a little tricky but there is tons of info on them on this site. But the price is great @ $140.00, even cheaper if you can find them at denimbaronline.com with the Styleforum discount. 5EP is another top choice of premium understated denim. While the Japanese brands make nice dark denim, I don't know if you're the type of guy who want to deal with raw denim and the whole shrink to fit thing. You could always get the one wash versions where possible. That way most of the shrinking would be out of the way. Sugar Cane, Studio D'artisan are the two that come to mind to me. I'm sure others will chime in and offer some other suggestions. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father (50s) has a mix of Acne, Nudie, Notify, Rock and Republic, Corpus, and Imperials (puts my jeans collection to shame) and wears it all quite well. My grandfather (almost 80) favors J Brand, and it also works quite well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads