• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can any shirt be tucked in?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Purplelabel That's what I thought, but it's good to have it confirmed by someone with more experience than me (in dressing well I mean, I'm really new to this stuff).

Read threads, ask questions, watch videos online... This forum is the best place in the world to learn.

AmirF27

Reaction score
Read threads, ask questions, watch videos online... This forum is the best place in the world to learn.
Yeah I've been learning a lot of stuff since I signed up. If there are any threads and/or videos in particular you think I should check out, it would be great!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've been learning a lot of stuff since I signed up. If there are any threads and/or videos in particular you think I should check out, it would be great!
The WAYWT? (what are you wearing today?) thread would be a good place; both Classic Menswear and Streetwear & Denim.

shorts17

Reaction score
I'm considering tucking my shirts in from now on, however with the ones I have I'm not sure it would look good. I got those two shirts recently:

https://m.castro.com/he/MEN/Shirts/Denim-shirt-with-pockets-291511.html

https://m.castro.com/he/MEN/Shirts/Blue-check-button-down-shirt-289585.html

Almost all of the shirts I own are in the same style. I was just reading a few articles on which shirts to tuck in and which not to, but I'm still not sure if the type of shirts I have can also be worn tucked in.

So my question is, can any shirt be tucked in? What about the ones I linked above (I'll be mostly wearing jeans with the second one, if this makes a difference)? I also have an additional question. Can you wear sweaters over the shirts I linked above? Would it work? And in such case, then my first question would still apply because I wouldn't want the bottom of the shirts to show from underneath the sweater, so they would have to be tucked in.

Formal/dress shirts are longer, done so to tuck in, where casual shirts can(should) be left out.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I do like the untucked look, especially since the hem is curved, which to me at least looks better than shirts with a flat hem, like polos for example.
Generally, one can distinguish supposed-to-be-tucked shirts from supposed-to-be-untucked shirts based on this characteristic: curved-hemmed shirts are designed to be tucked, whereas flat-hemmed shirts are designed to be untucked.

AmirF27

Reaction score
Generally, one can distinguish supposed-to-be-tucked shirts from supposed-to-be-untucked shirts based on this characteristic: curved-hemmed shirts are designed to be tucked, whereas flat-hemmed shirts are designed to be untucked.
The confusing part is that in the stores I buy my shirts from the hems are always slightly curved, yet they are too short and look too casual to be tucked in. I ordered a casual oxford shirt online, and the hem is straighter than shirts I get locally. I guess that's just how casual shirts are made here, curved hem but too short to be tucked.

And now that I've gotten like 5 or so casual shirts in a month, I've decided I wanted to try to go tucked in. I thought that untucked shirts is a more mature look than tees, but in all honesty the difference seems to be very small. What do you guys think? Would you wear tucked in dress shirts all the time? The thing is that I want to change my style to a more grown look, but so far I'm kind of lost. I went the untucked casual button up way because I've always liked this look and thought it's the next logical step from graphic tees. I hope I made the right decision, but I've been thinking maybe it wasn't the best decision.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I thought that untucked shirts is a more mature look than tees
I understand your logic, but a t-shirt is a t-shirt---a purely casual shirt not intended to be tucked. A real shirt (I won't call it a 'formal' shirt, as that label has many connotations) isn't intended to be untucked, and it just looks sloppy if not inserted into pants. Yes, there are buttoning shirts that are designed to not tuck, but those have much less material below the waist and often are slimmer in that area, too.
Often when one purchases a product with the goal of fitting into two categories, the product instead doesn't fit into either.
If you want a nicer casual shirt, wear a polo. If you want a nicer less-casual shirt, try a button-down collar shirt, but definitely tuck it in.

AmirF27

Reaction score
I understand your logic, but a t-shirt is a t-shirt---a purely casual shirt not intended to be tucked. A real shirt (I won't call it a 'formal' shirt, as that label has many connotations) isn't intended to be untucked, and it just looks sloppy if not inserted into pants. Yes, there are buttoning shirts that are designed to not tuck, but those have much less material below the waist and often are slimmer in that area, too.
Often when one purchases a product with the goal of fitting into two categories, the product instead doesn't fit into either.
If you want a nicer casual shirt, wear a polo. If you want a nicer less-casual shirt, try a button-down collar shirt, but definitely tuck it in.
So I probably didn't make the best decision by going the untucked shirt way didn't I? Would you recommend that I try out the tucked in look? My goal is to look more mature and less childish while still looking causal, and I'm just lost and thought that the untucked shirt way is the most logical step, but apparently maybe it wasn't. I must say though that this is a look I've always liked, buy if it isn't the right decision, I'll make better ones in the future when buying clothes. I would be grateful for any advice.

ThomGault

Reaction score
So I probably didn't make the best decision by going the untucked shirt way didn't I? Would you recommend that I try out the tucked in look? My goal is to look more mature and less childish while still looking causal,
You're using conceptual terms that vary depending on wearer and situation. A 20-year old would answer your question very differently than a 50-year old. Personally, I think http://belk.scene7.com/is/image/Bel...4_T10L00&layer=comp&$DWP_PRODUCT_PLP_DESKTOP$
is a solid mature casual outfit (note the loud colored shirt, open neck, and buttoned down collar.) A teenager, though, might say that it looks like old man clothing. You'll need to define what youre comfortable wearing.

AmirF27

Reaction score
You're using conceptual terms that vary depending on wearer and situation. A 20-year old would answer your question very differently than a 50-year old. Personally, I think http://belk.scene7.com/is/image/Bel...4_T10L00&layer=comp&$DWP_PRODUCT_PLP_DESKTOP$
is a solid mature casual outfit (note the loud colored shirt, open neck, and buttoned down collar.) A teenager, though, might say that it looks like old man clothing. You'll need to define what youre comfortable wearing.
I would say that's a pretty solid outfit. Honestly that's the way I've been dressing but with an untucked shirt, and sometimes chinos instead of jeans. The only change I would make you look like that guy is to get shirts which are meant for tucking in. So I guess I could stick with my current style for now. I like it, but maybe it's not the most grown up look ever. Maybe I need to give myself time to figure out my style.

AmirF27

Reaction score
We would like to know what style Tshirts you'd like to see trending in 2018?

Take our very short survey and sign up to be the first to receive deals on upcoming styles.

If you do not want to participate in the survey but have ideas that you'd still like to share, please do! We would like to hear your unique input on trends for the new year, anyway.
None. I don't wish to see any t-shirts trending at all, not just in 2018. Have you even read what this thread is about?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads