• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J vs Bonafe

carve

Reaction score
Which one would you choose ?
C&J balfour antique tan
https://www.crockettandjones.com/balfour-tan. (Still avaible)

or bonafe derby

What are your thoughts in quality, patina development, value for money etc
Bonafe is 625 EUR and c&j 745 pounds

Attachments

• SS16-Details-Balfour-Balfour-1.jpg
    SS16-Details-Balfour-Balfour-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:

UNOAIMX

Reaction score
If you are thinking of reselling it somewhere down the road, Crockett and Jones gets sold off much quicker / retains more value possible, when you list it on Ebay (from personal anecdotal experience selling 10 + pairs of Bonafes and C&J etc.).

carve

Reaction score
Im thinking about as a shoe you buy and keep till it cant be re-welted anymore and you discard it

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I have the EB split toe so can only speak on that. One thing to know is that the apron is not a pie crust stitch and the split toe is a faux split toe. What that means is the leather at the toe is not 2 pieces stitched together but one piece. It is stitched like a reverse skin stitch, so it's stitched through half the leather (like a EG dover) but there's not actual split at the toe.

I would say EB provides you the better value with a handwelted shoes over the CJ, which is GYW. The EB is on the 363 MOD last which is a classic round toe.

carve

Reaction score
I have the EB split toe so can only speak on that. One thing to know is that the apron is not a pie crust stitch and the split toe is a faux split toe. What that means is the leather at the toe is not 2 pieces stitched together but one piece. It is stitched like a reverse skin stitch, so it's stitched through half the leather (like a EG dover) but there's not actual split at the toe.

I would say EB provides you the better value with a handwelted shoes over the CJ, which is GYW. The EB is on the 363 MOD last which is a classic round toe.
What about sizing compared to c&j do you own both? What size should i go for?

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Unfortunately i don't own any CJs. I did try some when leatherfoot had their selloff, i did find overall i was a 8.5 over a few pairs they had, penny loafer, wholecut and wingtip but can't speak on which last they were.
EB i find the 8.5 pretty generous but i've stuck with 9UK. They have a high instep and quite roomy in the ball to toes. I'm currently wearing an EB penny loafer in 363MOD and the heel is snug, not loose like say, a carmina Rain last.

Braid

Reaction score
Which one would you choose ?
C&J balfour antique tan
https://www.crockettandjones.com/balfour-tan. (Still avaible)

or bonafe derby

What are your thoughts in quality, patina development, value for money etc
Bonafe is 625 EUR and c&j 745 pounds
Not a fan of the Balfour last, I would consider the hardwick instead. I own the suede variant (available also in grain) and find them amazing (and are also cheaper than balfour)

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both the C&J Lonsdale (363 Last), and a EB 363 (boot). I realize that they are different shoes, but I own other shoes from each maker on different lasts.
The Enzo Bonafe feels a sturdier shoe. I believe this has to do with the level of arch support and construction (handwelt). I actually would give the leather nod to the C&J, only in that the leather is more supple.

Based on construction alone, the EB is a better shoe, and should outlast the C&J. Honestly though, you will have to resole both and both would probably give you 3 to 5 years before a recraft is even necessary (YMMV).

Were it my money, I would go with the EB on the grounds of construction, price, and it is slightly more sleek. This minor stylistic difference, has to do with the toe, means you can dress it up a bit more. The Balfour looks ever so bulbous compared to the EB.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So basically i should try my usual size

Yes! If possible, try them both on and wear the trouser/chinos you intend on wearing them with. Provides you more insight and concrete evidence of what they look like on you (as opposed to Instagram or the standard model pictures).

carve

Reaction score
Yes! If possible, try them both on and wear the trouser/chinos you intend on wearing them with. Provides you more insight and concrete evidence of what they look like on you (as opposed to Instagram or the standard model pictures).
Unfortunately either one is to be ordered but returns are possible. Im 7.5 in Crockett connaught and Ashdown and some church

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately either one is to be ordered but returns are possible. Im 7.5 in Crockett connaught and Ashdown and some church

The EB 804 fits me the best. It is a bit longer than the 363M or 363 Boot. The C&J 363 is my best fitting last due to my thinner heels.

I would say both 363s are fairly comparable in regards to size. You should be able to order both in the same size without experiencing noticeable differences.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you can see how close these really are from an overhead prospective. Left is EB363M, right C&J363. The only challenge is envisioning that EB boot in a dress shoe.
20190903_163408.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads