• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying First Suit - Need Advice

iono

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an OTR (with tailoring) or MTM suit roughly in the $1,500 to $2,000 USD range. I'm looking at brands like Canali and Z Zegna. I'm about 180 cm / 70 kg. Most suits fit me reasonably well OTR, but I want a suit that really fits.

Can you let me know your thoughts about the brands I'm currently looking at as well as give me a few suggestions?

Thanks!

iono

Reaction score
I also found that Giorgio Armani is in that price range? What is their reputation? Do they make their own suits?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget Armani, an expensive label attached to a poor suit.

How about researching by reading the many threads here on the subject? There are many tales, some good, some horrendous and you will likely learn more than will be written here on a subject which is raised at least every other day.
  • "A suit that really fits" says nothing as no verbal advice tells the suit to adapt itself to your body or vv.
  • Weight and height give no further clues as to what will fit, sloping shoulders??
  • Go to some bricks and mortar shops and try some suits in the price range you prefer but avoid slavish devotion to labels.

jts287

Reaction score
You found Giorgio Armani black label at that price point? I'd bet it's Emporio Armani or left over Collezioni.

My advice: ZZegna and Hugo Boss (and Emporio, though I've never owned one) are going to have more modern, slim fits with narrower lapels. You'll be able to get a Boss Z, or EA cheaper than your budget, but as many will shout, they're fused, won't last, etc ad infinitum. Maybe split the difference and consider a Brooks Brothers 1818 in a Fitzgerald fit.

iono

Reaction score
We need much more context. Age? Purpose of suit? Etc.
You found Giorgio Armani black label at that price point? I'd bet it's Emporio Armani or left over Collezioni.

My advice: ZZegna and Hugo Boss (and Emporio, though I've never owned one) are going to have more modern, slim fits with narrower lapels. You'll be able to get a Boss Z, or EA cheaper than your budget, but as many will shout, they're fused, won't last, etc ad infinitum. Maybe split the difference and consider a Brooks Brothers 1818 in a Fitzgerald fit.
thanks for your advice!

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an OTR (with tailoring) or MTM suit roughly in the $1,500 to $2,000 USD range. I'm looking at brands like Canali and Z Zegna. I'm about 180 cm / 70 kg. Most suits fit me reasonably well OTR, but I want a suit that really fits.

Can you let me know your thoughts about the brands I'm currently looking at as well as give me a few suggestions?

Thanks!

It really depends on which style you like.
I would take a look at Ring Jacket Calm Twist basic suits. Rolling three button closure and soft shoulders. Comes with unfinished trousers and sleeves, so that minor adjustments can be made. Really good OTR is better than "ok" MTM.
At $1650 from their webshop I think it is the best RTW out there.

Canali is good if you like a structured shoulder, but in my opinion, a bit on the short side.
Z Zegna is quite overpriced.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
where are you located?

iono

Reaction score
It really depends on which style you like.
I would take a look at Ring Jacket Calm Twist basic suits. Rolling three button closure and soft shoulders. Comes with unfinished trousers and sleeves, so that minor adjustments can be made. Really good OTR is better than "ok" MTM.
At $1650 from their webshop I think it is the best RTW out there.

Canali is good if you like a structured shoulder, but in my opinion, a bit on the short side.
Z Zegna is quite overpriced.
Thank you, I live pretty close to Japan and I'll check them out on my next visit.

Jaackytung

Reaction score
Canali has some killer stuff. If their garments fit you reasonably well OTR I would definitely suggest that route.

RapFan

Reaction score
Your first suit is probably going to be a work horse suit. One that you are going to wear often and to all sorts of occasions

Unlike some on SF I like Armani collezione (if it's at a reasonable discount) I find it fits well on slimmer more athletic builds...but again at a discount and probably not as your first suit. Giorgio Armani is out of that price range and EA is not very nice at all

Canali are beautiful but I find that most of their cuts are a little bit on the wider side and not ideal for slimmer men.

My honest recommendation is a Samuelsohn for a first suit. Fully Canvassed good construction, variety of fits and will last you for years to come. They are a good deal even when they are not on sale

iono

Reaction score
Your first suit is probably going to be a work horse suit. One that you are going to wear often and to all sorts of occasions

Unlike some on SF I like Armani collezione (if it's at a reasonable discount) I find it fits well on slimmer more athletic builds...but again at a discount and probably not as your first suit. Giorgio Armani is out of that price range and EA is not very nice at all

Canali are beautiful but I find that most of their cuts are a little bit on the wider side and not ideal for slimmer men.

My honest recommendation is a Samuelsohn for a first suit. Fully Canvassed good construction, variety of fits and will last you for years to come. They are a good deal even when they are not on sale

Thank you for your detailed reply!

You were right, I went to Canali and the suits were way too large at the waist even though the shoulders fit. E. Zegna was better, but not great. Especially for that price range.

I didn't try Armani Collezioni because I thought it was out of my price range. I will definitely try them out.

Unfortunately, there isn't a Samuelsohn retailer nearby. I will need to visit a Samuelsohn store next time I'm in the US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads