• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttondown shirts in the UK

PaulSLH

Reaction score
I've been looking for a while, with no real success for decent quality, fairly slim fitting OCBD shirts in the UK, available in a range of sizes more than S,M,L. I take a 16/36 dress shirt, but with 40 inch chest and 32 inch waist, really need slim or tailored fits.

Most places here only seem to sell buttondowns as casual shirts, and therefore only in larger cuts and in a smaller range of sizes. Normally I need an XL for the sleeve length and an S/M for the body, depending on the cut, so I end up with neither. I know BB in the US sells buttondowns in a range of sleeve lengths, and in slim fits, but is there anyone in the UK who does the same?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whereabouts in the UK are you Paul?

PaulSLH

Reaction score
At the moment, generally between Canterbury and Cambridge, although I do occasionally get into London.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you've already considered this and ruled it out for good reason, but how about Brooks Brothers' Regent Street store? Personally, the lack of decent (and I've become quite picky since finding SF) slim BDs has led me to try Tailor Store's online MTM service — only had one done so far but have been really pleased with the results. Just as long as you're in no hurry!
smile.gif
On the High Street, I've found Zara's shirts to be a good, slim fit, but it's hard to avoid overtly 'fashion-y' shirts at times.

PaulSLH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
I'm sure you've already considered this and ruled it out for good reason, but how about Brooks Brothers' Regent Street store?

Last time I went in there (which was, admittedly, some time ago), they didn't seem to have all that much in stock, and certainly nothing slim fit. I also have something of a moral objection to all the American brands opening a few shops in London and trying to position themselves much higher up the market by simply charging the dollar price (or more) in pounds, for exactly the same product. Maybe I should give them another try though.

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
Boggi Milano shirts are preety good, they have a nice collar roll and are reasonably slim fitting (though not excessively so). Also, Hackett shirts have a wonderful roll and are available online if there aren't any near you.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should note that many think the "proper" fit for a button down is to be not "too slim".

But like you, I don't want it to fit like a tent either. I finally picked up an old-stock Brooks Brothers and while not trim per se, it is trimmer than critics led me to believe it would be. The higher armholes certainly help.

I've not tried their BD's lately but you might give it another look.

Certainly you have the option of having whatever you buy tailored. It's a simple alteration and if you want them VERY slim you could have them darted as well.

MaxH

Reaction score
Thomas Pink have buttondowns that have sized collars (inches and half inches) and can take a tie. Pink is more expensive than Charles Tywhitt and T.M. Lewin, but I was happy with a couple of small check buttondowns I picked up from their Bicester Village outlet shop for at £34 each, and they are quite slim fitting.

-- Max.

PaulSLH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishLapel
Boggi Milano shirts are preety good, they have a nice collar roll and are reasonably slim fitting (though not excessively so). Also, Hackett shirts have a wonderful roll and are available online if there aren't any near you.

Unfortunately both only seem sell button downs in the S/M/L/XL sizes, so I'd still have the problem of needing to buy an XL to get a 36 inch sleeve.

Its not really so much the slim fit that I have a problem finding. Medium or 16" collar sizes in most brands generally fit me ok, at least well enough to be tailored, but the sleeves will be 2 or 3 inches shorter than I need. Going up to an XL for the right sleeve length would mean needing to take a huge amount of width out of the body and sleeves, as well as taking in the collar, which I'm not sure is even possible.

Seems like I will have to try Brooks again and see if they have some the button downs that they do sell in a variety of sleeve lengths.

PaulSLH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MaxH
Thomas Pink have buttondowns that have sized collars (inches and half inches) and can take a tie. Pink is more expensive than Charles Tywhitt and T.M. Lewin, but I was happy with a couple of small check buttondowns I picked up from their Bicester Village outlet shop for at £34 each, and they are quite slim fitting.

-- Max.

And they have a couple in 'long' fittings. Thanks, will have to nip into London soon and check them out, along with Brooks Brothers.

Unfortunately TM Lewin are one of the many that I had already looked at, no sleeve lengths on the buttondowns, thanks for all the help though.

MaxH

Reaction score
I wasn't looking for long sizes, so I don't know sorry. The one's I bought there were 15" collar and 33.5" sleeve (my chest is 39" and waist 31"). Have a look at their website, you can filter on button downs. Obviously the outlet shop doesn't hold everything they have in their main shops, but take a look at their website and in their Jermyn Street shop next time you're in London.

-- Max

PaulSLH

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant that there are a couple listed on the website that do come in 'long' sizes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have slim fit oxford button down shirts that might fit you well. More like regular business wear shirt than a casual one. Shipping to the UK is $10 and of course you can return if it doesn't work out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads