• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business suit with patch pockets

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a guy today on the street wearing a blue pinstripe business suit with patch pockets. It was unexpected to say the least. Anyone see this before? Is this acceptable? I thought it looked odd.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit casual, but I think it would work on a tradly 3/2 sack with flaps and welted breast pocket.

Sebastian

Reaction score
There was a DB (!) pinstripe suit with Patch pockets in the B&S forum some time ago.
It was made for Luciano Barbera by Attolini and I kinda liked the look.

Unexspected. Maybe also against the rules. But not bad at all.

Needless to say, that it wasn't sold very quick and when it finally sold, it did for a very low price. So obviously the look is not for everyone.

RileysCat

Reaction score
I would think patch pockets would inhibit drape too much to be considered high-end business wear, but now that I've said it, it will come roaring into fashion.

That's how it works, right?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't recall ever seeing patch pockets on a pinstripe suit.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I saw a guy today on the street wearing a blue pinstripe business suit with patch pockets. It was unexpected to say the least. Anyone see this before? Is this acceptable? I thought it looked odd.

Whatever next? I can imagine it some people looking good in it though. I used to be against patch pockets completely until I saw a number of patch pockets on WAYWRN. If done well it can look a bit rakish, IMHO. Though at this stage of my sartorial exploration, I would probably not get patch pockets on a business suit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I can't recall ever seeing patch pockets on a pinstripe suit.

Crittendon "Hand Tailored" (click for more pics):

- B

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just logged on to post this exact same question and boom, here it is on the front page. Would love to hear other's opinions.

I am thinking of getting a charcoal plaid suit and in my search for efficiency (read: cheap), I am thinking I may be able to double the jacket as a nice sportscoat if I get it with the patch pockets. Thoughts?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think of them as more causal, but I wonder what you mean by a "business suit." Today, just wearing a suit is formal enough for most industries except the whitest of the white-shoe law firms and maybe if you're a british banker or an accountant. I work with finance guys (sometimes) and I wear one all the time.

I would think a patch pocket suit would be "formal" enough for practically any business

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I guess by "business" suit I mean your classic navy pinstripe suit. In fact, the suit this guy was wearing was near identical to the one pictured above. I only saw it in passing so didn't have the opportunity to assess it really. As I'd never seen such a thing before I thought it odd at the time. Seeing the picture above, however, I see that it's actually not that bad. I guess I wasn't sure if there was a "rule" against this as it seems so rare to me. I'm guessing that the wearer was a lawyer as he appeared to be walking into a court house. Obviously I can't say for sure though.

RileysCat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RileysCat
I would think patch pockets would inhibit drape too much to be considered high-end business wear, but now that I've said it, it will come roaring into fashion.

That's how it works, right?

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
What?

Sanguis, what I mean is compared to a sleeker look like welt pockets. Drape may not have been the best term, but a patch pocket coat doesn't strike me as formal enough to ever be considered a classic business look. I'm an 80's kid, I think in terms of power suits, and I'm currently trying to rethink that structure.
The fact is that tweed and corduroy sport coats (which I love) are now common in the office, so it looks like patch pockets are likely to hang around for awhile.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My initial reaction was that patch pockets are not inappropriate for a business suit as much as they are inappropriate for a pinstriped suit. I think that the example Vox posted above looks kind of cool, but I wouldn't wear it myself. The pinstripes and patch pockets seem to be a contradiction in terms.

sarto

Reaction score
my dad gave me one of his old suits which fits me quite well -- still in excellent condition and and was made for him in brazil (late 70s hah!). it's charcoal glen plaid with patch pockets and it's in my normal suit rotation in my internship at the DA's office. one of my supervisor's complemented me on it. so, i guess it isn't quite the faux pas i was expecting.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is cool and quirky..You can pull it off if you're a dandy ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads