• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Dress For a Minimalist With A High Budget

minimalism

Reaction score
I'm a unique situation and would like feedback on strategies to help me dress better. I will start a similar thread in the streetwear sub forum because I'm interested in dressing better all around. I've lost a lot of weight recently and it's the perfect excuse to buy new clothes (that fit) and build my wardrobe from the ground up. I don't have a set budget in mind but I make decent money so I have many options open to me.

I'm 32 years old, live in the US, have a 6-figure traveling consulting job, never previously cared what I looked like, recently discovered how important it is dress well and would like to do so in a way that results in minimal but high quality clothing. I don't like owning more personal possessions than necessary. As an example, I own one pair of nice Edmund Allen black dress shoes and these will very likely be the only dress shoes I intend to own.

I look at everything in my life as on a cost/value curve. To me, the "cost" components are not just the price of the new thing but also the cost of storing it, maintaining it, worrying about it, moving it everytime I move cross-country (which I do frequently). I'd much rather have a pair of $2k suits rather than have 8 suits that cost $500 each.

Here's my thoughts so far on what I've purchased recently and what I'm thinking about purchasing. I'd like critiques on everything including my mindset of minimalism. I recognize that there's diminishing returns for all things, including minimalism, so I don't want to be "too minimalistic".

DRESS PANTS:
I own three pairs of wool slacks, which is all I currently need. I work four days a week (traveling consulting) and three pairs seems to be the optimal number. It means that I wear one pair twice during the week. Four pairs is excessive to travel with and two pairs is dangerous because if one of the two gets a stain then I'm down to one. I'd like to buy a fourth pair of pants to keep at home so I can rotate through, dry-clean one at a time.

So far, the magic number of dress pants (not too many, not too few) seems to be 4. This also works well if I stop traveling for work and get a local job doing 5 days a week in an office. I can rotate one of my 4 pants to wear twice during the week.

Colorwise, I tentatively settled on (1) Dark Charcoal, (2) Dark Khaki (3) Light Khaki (4) Lighter Charcoal

Brandwise, I've tried on many kinds and I like Ballin and Hugo Boss for my body type (athletic) for fit and how the material feels.

DRESS SHIRTS:
I bought 3 pairs of white Nordstrom brand wrinkle-free herringbone slim fit dress shirts and 1 light blue. I don't currently need to wear a tie to work and I actually prefer to wear some kind of nice pattern "dressy shirt", however, the white/blue dress shirts are nice because it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same shirt too often. If I wear a custom/unique design shirt then it's not something I can wear every week. It's something I can wear maybe once every 3 weeks. So going with the white/blue means I can wear the same shirt more often.

SEMI-DRESS SHIRTS:
Not sure what to call these but from my former wardrobe I own 5 pairs of various patterns of long sleeve button down Kenneth Cole Reaction shirts (around $80 each at the time) that look amazing with dress pants for business casual. I already own these so it won't cost me anything to keep them.I like to rotate in one or two of these each week along with the white/blue ones.

BUSINESS SUITS:
I currently own zero suits that fit however I don't need to wear one anytime soon. I'd like to buy two suits at some point in the near future. Perhaps a charcoal and a navy blue, just to have, in case something comes up that I need to wear one. I don't have a specific budget in mind but I like to spend a little more to hit the next value curve. For example, the difference between spending $10 on a wrist watch and spending $100 is significant for only $90 more. I don't know where that value curve bends for suits. I'd rather not spend $2k on a suit if a $1k suit is 99% as good for half the price. Please advise since I know nothing about suits.

SHOES:
I'm really happy with my Edmund Allens so far.

BELT:
I'm not really sure where to upgrade here. The only belt I've seen that I actually like is a $770 Hermes belt. That's my front runner right now. Considering I'll only own a single belt (and it will match my single pair of shoes), the money doesn't seem too high for me.

What else am I missing? Any comments/critiques? I'm very open to suggestions.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
post-650-0-39675800-1337307830.jpg

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I am a minimalist, this is what I would have:

1 black suit
2 white shirts
1 pair of black oxford
1 black belt
1 black or navy blue tie

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your strategies don't mesh with SF values. If you want to keep your minimalist views, you should leave and never return.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a good list.

-a navy blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
-mid gray flannel pants
-decent, non-chino khakis
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit
-a navy worsted single breasted suit
-a white shirt
-several blue shirts, at least one button-down collar
-black stitch caps
-some tasteful brown oxford laceup shoes (exact configuration up to you)
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burgundy shell cordovan
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine
-a plain white linen pocket square

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309783/...ollowing-things-you-are-not-well-dressed/0_50

Last edited:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress Pants: You are probably good with your 3 for the moment.

Dress shirts: I also favorite white and light blue for true dress shirts (i.e. to be worn with a tie).

Semi-Dress shirts: I'll classify these are casual button-downs (or OCBD). This is the area I stock up the most as I do not wear ties very often. I tend to favor oxford, pinpoint, and flannel fabrics for these. If you wish to add here, I would suggest Luxire or proper cloth for shirts. They are roughly the same price as your kenneth cole and will be superlative in quality (however many are not non-iron fabrics). I favor the oxford, pinpoint, and flannel because you can often get away without ironing.

Business Suits: Navy, Charcoal, black, medium gray. Any of those will serve you fine. If you were to pick two, I would go charcoal and navy as you state. As for price, do not spend over $1000, maybe $1500. You can get Brioni, Oxxford, or Zegna off Ebay for much cheaper than you would spend in a store. Learn to know your size and measurements, and make sure they have a return policy.

Shoes: I also favor Allen Edmonds, and also Vass. They both have excellent customer service.

Belts: I have 3 Allen Edmonds Manistee belts which I really like. If you want a casual belt, Equus leather is top notch.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
As a consultant you should understand the value of insightful, pertinent and effective conclusions. Whether these conclusions are gleaned from general experience, situational standards, or from measurable trial and error, an actionable plan requires a level of qualified insight that you (the client) lack. Accordingly, you pay to benefit from people who have been there before and know more than you know.

So, what are you going to give me if I lay out an itemized list of where you should invest and why? How would you valuate having to do zero research (or work) on your own, and delve no deeper than a cursory Google search? Where does the value curve bend for that level of convenience and actionable insight?

Suffice it to say that if you have a real interest in any of this, you need to take it seriously. Do your own work. Make your own discoveries. Quantify your victories and losses with some of that high budget. Noli esse piger.

One free piece of advice I will offer: Your concept of "high budget" will change drastically if you lurk around a bit.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As a consultant you should understand the value of insightful, pertinent and effective conclusions. Whether these conclusions are gleaned from general experience, situational standards, or from measurable trial and error, an actionable plan requires a level of qualified insight that you (the client) lack. Accordingly, you pay to benefit from people who have been there before and know more than you know.

So, what are you going to give me if I lay out an itemized list of where you should invest and why? How would you valuate having to do zero research (or work) on your own, and delve no deeper than a cursory Google search? Where does the value curve bend for that level of convenience and actionable insight?

Suffice it to say that if you have a real interest in any of this, you need to take it seriously. Do your own work. Make your own discoveries. Quantify your victories and losses with some of that high budget. Noli esse piger.

One free piece of advice I will offer: Your concept of "high budget" will change drastically if you lurk around a bit.

+1

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With only 3 trousers and 3 dress shirts you will:

1. Get sick of them
2. Wear them out
3. Not be prepared for various seasons/climates
4. When do you get them cleaned? What do you wear the week they are at the cleaners?

Just food for thought....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads