• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Casual with AE Evanston in Walnut

Newlaw

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a networking type event today. The event is business casual and will be filled with students and alumni. Here is what I plan on wearing:

AE Evanston in walnut
Khakis
BB slim fit no iron light blue shirt (faint vertical lines)
walnut colored belt

Everything fits well and is pressed. I do not have a sports jacket, but I am confident I won't be under dressed. My main concern is the walnut shoes with the walnut colored belt. Would this be too "matchy?"

What suggestions do you all have to wear with the walnut shoes in a business casual type environment? Wool navy slacks seem to contrast too much with the shoes.

Thanks!

chison

Reaction score
are you saying you do not own a jacket or that you are not wearing one that day? i'm asking because a jacket in that setting would be most appropriate, imo.

Kurt N

Reaction score
I don't think a walnut belt would be too matchy. But if you're worried about it, do you have a surcingle belt that's heavy-looking enough for fall wear? If not, another shade of brown would be better than black or burgundy.

For the future, a cool-weather sports jacket is a pretty basic wardrobe item and can easily be found at a thrift shop or on eBay.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Thanks guys... right after I posted I realized that I need a sports coat. Went to the thrift store and found a beautiful Ralph Lauren navy sports coat. It was the nicest jacket on the rack, and just so happens it was a 48L.

I'm going to bring it to the tailor because it is not perfect, but it is certainly passable.

Thanks for the help! I'm going to go with the walnut belt too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads