• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brown shoes confuse me

tonup277

Reaction score
anyone have a photo of varying shades of brown shoes.
chestnut, tan, beechnut, light brown, cognac, yada yada yada...all these names confuse me.
if you've got shoes side-by-side in any multiple combos of these, please post with color names.

i have a pair of church's brisbane in "chestnut".
now i'm looking at this tricker's kensington in "burnished light brown".
hell, looks same to me...argh!

tonup277

Reaction score
ok.
can anyone at least provide some general guidance?
i'm seeing cognac and beechnut to be somewhat similar and toward darker shade, while tan and chestnut are somewhat similar but are toward the lighter shade.

that about right?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
2229.jpg

I'm just a caveman. I don't understand your brown shoes--they frighten and confuse me.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you browsed the shoe pictorial index? There's an EG color chart here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...67&postcount=1

And a selection of leather colors here:

http://centipede.web.fc2.com/CATALOG...R/leather.html

Beyond that, the individual shoes are listed in a wide array of colors. That should give you an idea of the terms as used by a few manufacturers.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=33612

In general, fawn, tan, English tan, maple and chestnut are lighter colors. Burgundy, oxblood and cordovan are dark reddish. "Burnished" sometimes means "corrected grain leather," but not always.

The more exotic the color name, the more likely it will be used inconsistently by various manufacturers.

tonup277

Reaction score
nice - now that's what i'm talkin' about!
thanks doc.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
however varied the color names are, usually they are at least somewhat intuitive.

tobacco, whiskey, espresso, cognac, chestnut, coffee - it's what you'd expect...

tonup277

Reaction score
wtf is a beechnut?!
censored.gif

everyone probably knows this site already, but i just wanted to acknowledge it (based on someone having posted a pic from it on another query of mine). i love how they show the various angles on each shoe!
http://www.oldvic.jp

it's where i was able to confirm tricker's variation of burnished 1001 vs. beechnut (aka dark brown!).

Tiberias

Reaction score
Thanks for the color charts, very helpful.

Edward Green has a nice full-color brochure that illustrates their shoes in a variety of shades, ditto with Allen Edmonds; if you can find the equivalent for a brand you're interested in, that might help. I find that printed pictures are a bit more helpful than online images, color registration and all that. Nothing quite like seeing them firsthand, however.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do know that styleforum mantra about brown being suitable for farmers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads