• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :).

However, pricewise those bags seem really cheap. How do they compare to the bags mentioned in my initial post?
I have no experience with the briefcases mentioned prior. But I do have extensive experience with the leathers that Gion uses and its top notch. I have 3 briefcases on the way from them as well.

I think the reason they're cheap is because they're bases in Hungary and that you're not paying for the brand name like many other makers.

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a travelteq bag before, and it was nice and about worth what they sell it for. They did go through an acquisition/merger a couple years back, so no idea if it's still the manufacturer or not.

They do patina nicely, if that's what you're looking for. Actually, you can see examples of it on their pre-owned page: https://travelteq.com/collections/the-vintage-shop

Romiking

Reaction score
I've had a travelteq bag before, and it was nice and about worth what they sell it for. They did go through an acquisition/merger a couple years back, so no idea if it's still the manufacturer or not.

They do patina nicely, if that's what you're looking for. Actually, you can see examples of it on their pre-owned page: https://travelteq.com/collections/the-vintage-shop

Thanks for the reply :). The vintage ones look pretty decent in my opinion.

However, i have found another bag which i instantly liked very much, namely the Diplomat from Satchel & Page, which i will most likely order. Qualitywise it seems very solid.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, i have found another bag which i instantly liked very much, namely the Diplomat from Satchel & Page, which i will most likely order. Qualitywise it seems very solid.

Zippers that go all the way down, carry-on luggage loop and handles that can fold down...

Not sure why it's so difficult for manufacturers to design them this way.

zxc

Reaction score
Hi all!

Registered to post here since lurking for years. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask but does anyone know how to contact glaser design? Their bags caught my eye and I scheduled a zoom call with them on Monday and Tuesday and did not get a reply. Emailed them on Monday and did not get a reply too I’m actually not from US so I registered a Skype number and tried calling them on their land line. Got through multiple times on Monday but went to voice mail. Left them a voice mail but did not get a response. On Wednesday the call went straight to voice mail without ringing. And today I got a message saying the number did not have voice mail set up when calling them.

just wondering is this experience normal? Hope nothing serious happened to them

Mr Stevens

Reaction score

I considered these as well but ended up with Carl Friedrik one you mentioned. Ultimately, I needed black. Also, the photos of the satchel and page ones look sexy, but the more I looked at them, the more they look a little casual. They all use veg tan leather, so at least there's that. The CF seems to be aging well. The other thing to consider is how wide they are. I originally ordered the double version from CF but sent it back because it was way too big and looked sorta like a purse. In the end, I might have gone for the Portegna Fat Carter (from NMWA), but that may have also been too wide.

Nitrogen

Reaction score
I just want to leave this here as a warning: recently bought a Satchel & Page Executive briefcase, because many were praising the brand and their bags in the internet. Once I received the bag, I was not impressed. Overall it did not seem very high quality. Particularly the lining materials were a letdown, felt like a cheap plasticky leather imitation on the inside. I sent it back as fast as I got it. I guess it was a big mistake to believe all the influencers would have real opinions about the product they are praising.

Romiking

Reaction score
I considered these as well but ended up with Carl Friedrik one you mentioned. Ultimately, I needed black. Also, the photos of the satchel and page ones look sexy, but the more I looked at them, the more they look a little casual. They all use veg tan leather, so at least there's that. The CF seems to be aging well. The other thing to consider is how wide they are. I originally ordered the double version from CF but sent it back because it was way too big and looked sorta like a purse. In the end, I might have gone for the Portegna Fat Carter (from NMWA), but that may have also been too wide.

Interesting. For me it was exactly the other way around. The CF seemed to me too "professional", almost stiff. Also the internals seemed a little bit too inefficient for the size of the bag. I am looking forward for my "Diplomat" briefcase :). The Portegna Fat Carter seems really nice, however, at some point you need to take into account your budget ;).

I just want to leave this here as a warning: recently bought a Satchel & Page Executive briefcase, because many were praising the brand and their bags in the internet. Once I received the bag, I was not impressed. Overall it did not seem very high quality. Particularly the lining materials were a letdown, felt like a cheap plasticky leather imitation on the inside. I sent it back as fast as I got it. I guess it was a big mistake to believe all the influencers would have real opinions about the product they are praising.

Did they not upgrade the internals with regard to the lining? Isn't leather regarded as the higher quality option for the lining? I also saw pictures of the old versions of the bag with the previous lining, however, if the leather is well done on the inside, i would guess it is more durable that some sort of fabric? We will see when the bag arrives.

Nitrogen

Reaction score
Did they not upgrade the internals with regard to the lining? Isn't leather regarded as the higher quality option for the lining? I also saw pictures of the old versions of the bag with the previous lining, however, if the leather is well done on the inside, i would guess it is more durable that some sort of fabric? We will see when the bag arrives.

I don't know, maybe I was hallucinating and it was real high quality suede. Honestly, I was recovering from Covid fever so it might be plausible...

I kind of made up my mind immediately seeing the bag in real life and opened it once and touched the lining and it did not feel good. I was impressed by the product photography on their website, but IRL everything about the bag seemed somehow cheap to me. My only real comparison is a cheap leather courier bought from Florence, and in my eyes it beat that executive bag 6-0.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
Interesting. For me it was exactly the other way around. The CF seemed to me too "professional", almost stiff. Also the internals seemed a little bit too inefficient for the size of the bag. I am looking forward for my "Diplomat" briefcase :). The Portegna Fat Carter seems really nice, however, at some point you need to take into account your budget ;).

I wanted something more professional. I use a messenger bag most days but wanted a black briefcase for things like interviews and when I give talks at conferences (basically, when I'm wearing suits, which is not most days). I also don't like carrying around lots of stuff, so more minimal is better for me. That said, I think there are probably nicer bags than the CF one I got for similar prices. Yeah, the Portegna bag is a bit more, but NMWA eventually put it on sale (briefly). I couldn't wait for that though as I had a series of interviews lined up.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Gion briefcases arrived today.
Oxblood calf, medium size, two gussets.
IMG_20220809_160238.jpg

Brown calf, small size, one gusset.
IMG_20220809_160252.jpg

Deer brown suede, size between M and L, three compartments.
IMG_20220809_160306.jpg

Last edited:

Nitrogen

Reaction score
My Gion briefcases arrived today.
Oxblood calf, medium size, two gussets.
Brown calf, small size, one gusset.
Deer brown suede, size between M and L, three compartments.

I love the oxblood and the suede! Are these custom made? I couldn't find those models on their website. Can you share some pics that show the side profile and maybe a shot or two into the belly of the beast(s)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads