• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I was planning on buying the Equus Attache this year, was my dream case. But then they went out of business and ghosted everyone including prepaid orders.

Clegg finished mine 6 weeks from order. Equus probably would have been 6 months if not longer.

People like to crap on how many people post Clegg and then never list anything else. Unhelpful.

Leander walker

Reaction score
Well,Tumi isn't even in this top quality.group It's a ubiquitous brand made in cheaper labor countries. Atlas was top-notch American made in Philadelphia. Leather Specialty-Korchmar purchased them , moved manufacturing to Dominican Republic and the brand was discontinued within a few years. Korchmarr did the same thing with another excellent American made brand-Schlesinger. Tanner Kroll was a legendary British manufacturer which has gone out of business a few times in the last 10 years and the name was purchased and now being made in Italy with nowhere near the prior quality. Swaine Adeney now under French ownership and name shortened to 'Swaine' They continue to produce excellent briefcases,top quality , in England. Still,Ettinger,Fosters, and British made briefcases from Pickett are superb quality Clegg designs are quite pedestrian and uninspired , but I'm sure they are grateful for such a loyal customer

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of Ettinger leather goods including custom wallets crafted through their now defunct partnership with Turnbull.

Ettinger quality is nowhere near Clegg quality wise.

For better than Clegg quality you could look at like....Chester Mox.

Leander walker

Reaction score
I certainly agree that ''Ettinger quality is nowhere near Clegg quality" Ettinger bridle leather British-made business cases outclass Clegg on any occasion-both style- wise and quality- wise. And Swaine with its long history of quality and current quality and style,beats Clegg any day. Clegg only stands out because outside of G,hurka , there are few quality business cases made in America

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I certainly agree that ''Ettinger quality is nowhere near Clegg quality" Ettinger bridle leather British-made business cases outclass Clegg on any occasion-both style- wise and quality- wise. And Swaine with its long history of quality and current quality and style,beats Clegg any day. Clegg only stands out because outside of ,hurka , there are few quality business cases made in America

Bro. Slow down.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Well,Tumi isn't even in this top quality.group It's a ubiquitous brand made in cheaper labor countries. Atlas was top-notch American made in Philadelphia. Leather Specialty-Korchmar purchased them , moved manufacturing to Dominican Republic and the brand was discontinued within a few years. Korchmarr did the same thing with another excellent American made brand-Schlesinger. Tanner Kroll was a legendary British manufacturer which has gone out of business a few times in the last 10 years and the name was purchased and now being made in Italy with nowhere near the prior quality. Swaine Adeney now under French ownership and name shortened to 'Swaine' They continue to produce excellent briefcases,top quality , in England. Still,Ettinger,Fosters, and British made briefcases from Pickett are superb quality Clegg designs are quite pedestrian and uninspired , but I'm sure they are grateful for such a loyal customer
SAB is nowhere near what they used to be. I think Clegg is higher quality and at a much more honest price. Not hand-stitched, but not priced like it either – unlike SAB, which I believe trades off a reputation it doesn't uphold with its craftsmanship.

EDIT: I should add that I've never bought anything from Clegg and don't especially like their designs – I just respect what they're doing at their price point.

marlinspike

Reaction score
People like to crap on how many people post Clegg and then never list anything else. Unhelpful.

I posted a Halliburton, so....

Personally, I don't see Clegg as being better quality than Ettinger. They are of equal quality, though I think Ettinger designs are nicer. That said, there are about a dozen better makers in Japan, though they won't do business with you without an in-person visit

I don't believe SAB isn't as good as it used to be. People are always saying this about all these high end brands that got bought up, but in many cases can't specifically identify how.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
I posted a Halliburton, so....

Personally, I don't see Clegg as being better quality than Ettinger. They are of equal quality, though I think Ettinger designs are nicer. That said, there are about a dozen better makers in Japan, though they won't do business with you without an in-person visit

I don't believe SAB isn't as good as it used to be. People are always saying this about all these high end brands that got bought up, but in many cases can't specifically identify how.
SAB bags used to be hand-stitched and aren't anymore – but their pricing remains more in line with hand-stitched bags.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly agree that ''Ettinger quality is nowhere near Clegg quality" Ettinger bridle leather British-made business cases outclass Clegg on any occasion-both style- wise and quality- wise. And Swaine with its long history of quality and current quality and style,beats Clegg any day. Clegg only stands out because outside of G,hurka , there are few quality business cases made in America
I wonder if you are British. Although high end briefcases are a global market, national tastes vary.

I would agree with you that English bridle leather cases may be best made…in England! I actually prefer bridle leather visually in some cases. The curve of a stiff, bridle leather, flap-over case has an unparalleled sculptural, architectonic, quality versus softer leathers.

I have the Frank Clegg designed “Obama” bag (zip top, two exterior pockets), and a Hrothgar Stibbon flap-over bridle leather case with a brass lock.

I like them both. I find the Hrothgar Stibbon more beautiful. I glance at it more frequently when sitting at my desk.

I end up using the Clegg designed bag more frequently due to the zip top and side pockets, which allows easier access on the run.

marlinspike

Reaction score
SAB bags used to be hand-stitched and aren't anymore – but their pricing remains more in line with hand-stitched bags.
How long ago were they hand stitched? I only remember them ever being partially hand stitched, which I thought is still the case?

Leander walker

Reaction score
For many years , the Swaine Adeney briefcases were all hand stitched , and they claim that they still are so one would assume they are. For many years , Swaine also manufactured a briefcase brand called Papworth. Many of the styles were near identical to Swaine Adeney , but these cases were machine stitched, and sold at a lower price. The Papworth cases were still excellent quality and made with English bridle leather. The Papworth name seems to now be dormant and ceased manufacture

garigo

Reaction score
Personally I don't find the Swaine designs particularly inspiring. Clegg's zip-top briefcase is much more attractive and relevant in today's environment than anything they are offering. And stitch count is always secondary to the design element.

Leander walker

Reaction score
Glad you find a zip top briefcase to be "attractive and relevant". But certainly not proprietary!!!! Every briefcase manufacturer from low to high end markets a zip top briefcase. Nothing to get excited about there

bjhofkin

Reaction score
For many years , the Swaine Adeney briefcases were all hand stitched , and they claim that they still are so one would assume they are. For many years , Swaine also manufactured a briefcase brand called Papworth. Many of the styles were near identical to Swaine Adeney , but these cases were machine stitched, and sold at a lower price. The Papworth cases were still excellent quality and made with English bridle leather. The Papworth name seems to now be dormant and ceased manufacture
Swaine definitely does NOT claim that, at least not on their website – check for yourself.

(And that's good, because they're absolutely machine-stitched.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads