• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazers on ebay

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy wanted opinions, and I gave him mine. I started no argument and made no slight on anyone. If anyone chooses to wear peak lapels or db for day to day wear then they should enjoy doing so, but I'll still hold the opinions I do and if people ask for them I'll freely give them.
True and you are certainly entitled to your opinion I just thought it funny how you seemed to have wanted to apologize to A Harris for what you said and then proceeded to repeat what you said.

JJF

truthhurts

Reaction score
I think A Harris looks fantastic in his photo. I don't know if he has the personality to pull off that level of dandyism or not and I think he's a rare man indeed if he can.

A Harris obviously has a lot of style, so he can make his own rules. The original poster is only making his first E-bay purchase, and looking at the choices he put forward I'm positive that my comments would apply to him. I think he'd be better off with something much less anachronistic.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't mean to make it personal, as I'm not offended or anything. I just love to play devil's advocate. Â
smile.gif

color_reporter

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant _or_ peak lapels.

I know that's it's a romantic look but it's totally out of fashion and outside of formal occasions it looks very out of place and affected.

I don't think peaked lapels are totally out of fashion. Just look at the Dior Homme 2005 summer collection. It has a lot of jackets with peaked lapels and a few of them both have peaked lapels and DB.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think peaked lapels are totally out of fashion. Just look at the Dior Homme 2005 summer collection. It has a lot of jackets with peaked lapels and a few of them both have peaked lapels and DB.

Both single and double breasted suits with peak lapels are quite common in current collections. Neither will ever look dated, unless taken to extremes - like the 80's versions with aircraft carrier shoulders.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single breasted peaked lapel collars are found in pretty much every designer collection this fall and next season, and streetwear designers (Check out Rogan and Paper Denim) are latched onto to the peaked lapel (though not so much the double-breasted thing) like a dog on teriyaki marinated ribs.

Peaked lapels are, if anything, very, very, au courant, de rigueur, whatever French I can muster up.

Phil

Reaction score
I have to agree with the consensus, peak lapel suits are very popular now, as they were in the 1930s. They have certainly enjoyed a resurgence. Most of my suits are the single breasted peak lapel variety, and in fact I am wearing one today. I love the way peak lapels on a single breasted suit give the impression of broader shoulders, without the bulk of extra shoulder padding. They are a bit quirky, since not many people own them, and the 2 button single breasted peak lapel suit jacket over a vest is just stellar.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think A Harris looks fantastic in his photo. I don't know if he has the personality to pull off that level of dandyism or not and I think he's a rare man indeed if he can. A Harris obviously has a lot of style, so he can make his own rules. The original poster is only making his first E-bay purchase, and looking at the choices he put forward I'm positive that my comments would apply to him. I think he'd be better off with something much less anachronistic.
Well, then I guess I look like a dandifyed fool two days out of the week; oh well.
dozingoff.gif
koji

JuniorJetSet

Reaction score
I am very greatful for everyone's advice/suggestions. Frankly, before reading this thread, I didn't even know what peaked lapels were.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads