• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie Wedding

moosy

Reaction score
I have a black tie wedding in Dublin this summer. As this is my first black tie wedding I am a little confused, but want to seize the opportunity to educate myself and buy formal-wear for the future.
I got a tux and a shirt from Brooks-Brothers but I have a few questions:
1) Is a Cummerbund necessary?
2) If so what color - does it have to match the tie?
3) Does black-tie mean a black tie or is there latitude on the color of the tie.

Thanks

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black tie absolutly means a black bowtie, preferably freestly(no clips ons) The cumerbund should matc the tie but a vest may also be worn in the same color to be more festive considering it is a wedding. Some men have been getting away with a long tie instead of the bow but I would go with the bow sticking to the tradition of the black tie event.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Black tie absolutly means a black bowtie, preferably freestly(no clips ons) The cumerbund should matc the tie but a vest may also be worn in the same color to be more festive considering it is a wedding. Some men have been getting away with a long tie instead of the bow but I would go with the bow sticking to the tradition of the black tie event.

+1.

Stick with black....please.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would disagree with the counsel set forth above to the effect that the cummerbund should match the bowtie, unless both are black, which they probably should be. Matching sets of bowties and cummerbunds in floral, paisley or tartan prints or weaves or, God forbid, something like gold lame are sartorial atrocities. The general rule concerning black tie is that no more than a single item should be colored. Among men of taste, the pocket square seems to be the favored item for this, with red, marroon or purple being the colors most commonly suggested. However, a black bowtie, black vest or cummerbund and white linen square are always correct.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Agreed. Unless you are going to the prom (in which case you still shouldn't) or want to be accused of going to one, avoid color. The simple and clean look is precisely what makes it formal. And yes, you must have either a vest or cumberbund. I saw a GQ article a few months ago mentioning not to wear a cumberbund, but that is strictly for fashion forward people. Traditional, classic dress dictates something over your belly.

Cordovan

moosy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer
You are certain it is a black tie wedding - I mean it says so on the invitation? I only ask because they are unusual this side of the Atlantic.

Yes, the invitation states clearly "black tie" hence all this frenzy.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, something like a low-cut waistcoat would work as well though (much better IMO). Cummerbunds suit only the tropics.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
However, a black bowtie, black vest or cummerbund and white linen square are always correct.

Question: Having just recently purchased my first tux, I'm having trouble with the vest part of the equation. It's a 2 piece, 1-btn (peak, of course), and I prefer a vest to a cummerbund. But If I get a bowtie, and match it to the vest, don't a run the risk of having the black of the vest clash against the black of the tux itself?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Question: Having just recently purchased my first tux, I'm having trouble with the vest part of the equation. It's a 2 piece, 1-btn (peak, of course), and I prefer a vest to a cummerbund. But If I get a bowtie, and match it to the vest, don't a run the risk of having the black of the vest clash against the black of the tux itself?

Your vest should match your dinner jacket; so if your tux did not come with a vest, don't wear one. Your bow-tie, ideally, should match (in SHADE OF BLACK as well as texture) the facings of your jacket lapels.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Your vest should match your dinner jacket; so if your tux did not come with a vest, don't wear one.

Not necessarily. You can wear a white pique vest; this looks best with a wing collar shirt, however. Or you can wear an odd formal vest out of silk or something (low cut only!). Most of these look awful to me, but they are not incorrect.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Not necessarily. You can wear a white pique vest; this looks best with a wing collar shirt, however. Or you can wear an odd formal vest out of silk or something (low cut only!). Most of these look awful to me, but they are not incorrect.

Perhaps, but as you said, they look awful.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers sells a low-cut, backless three-button waistcoat with grosgrain lapels. While it is true that there are degrees of grosgrain, I find it a reasonable match with my tux, which is not a BB product. They also sell a similar waistcoat in white pique.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Brooks Brothers sells a low-cut, backless three-button waistcoat with grosgrain lapels. While it is true that there are degrees of grosgrain, I find it a reasonable match with my tux, which is not a BB product. They also sell a similar waistcoat in white pique.

I have both of these. For the sake of science, here's a picture of the white:

Formal1.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ Nice.

Wing collor look good too, nice & high. Also BB?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads