• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit with navy stripes?

Tensomoko

Reaction score
Hey guys I posted a topic regarding interview suits a while ago, I know many people recommended against black, but I found a suit for 300 dollars that fit me perfectly that was decent quality, Versace mainline. It is black but it has thick about 1/4 inch width alternating dark navy stripes on it, that to be perfectly honest looks black in normal lighting as far as I can see, noting I'm not that much into style, yet.. I was wondering if that makes a difference from a regular black suit since though charcoal also appears black to me in most lighting, it is considered different. I was thinking of wearing it with a light blue shirt and a navy tie with white thread stictched in a paisley design. Sorry, no picks, just wondering.

bankboss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tensomoko
Hey guys I posted a topic regarding interview suits a while ago, I know many people recommended against black, but I found a suit for 300 dollars that fit me perfectly that was decent quality, Versace mainline. It is black but it has thick about 1/4 inch width alternating dark navy stripes on it, that to be perfectly honest looks black in normal lighting as far as I can see, noting I'm not that much into style, yet.. I was wondering if that makes a difference from a regular black suit since though charcoal also appears black to me in most lighting, it is considered different. I was thinking of wearing it with a light blue shirt and a navy tie with white thread stictched in a paisley design. Sorry, no picks, just wondering.

what industry are you interviewing for?

From what I have seen:
Once you get the job, that would work
Trying to get the job - better to go with the navy blue suit solid if possible..

young Ego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tensomoko
I was wondering if that makes a difference from a regular black suit since though charcoal also appears black to me in most lighting, it is considered different.

If it looks black in most lighting then it's not charcoal, or maybe you're just regularly in strange lighting. In photos the colors can be confusing but in person you can easily tell.
As far as the navy stripes go, someone who doesn't care might not notice but anybody with decent eye will most certainly notice when you are face to face.

Tensomoko

Reaction score
I think you may be right. I compared my suit to a black wool crepe suit and it looks duller than that black....is that what a dark charcoal would appear like?

mco543

Reaction score
I've seen a recent DKNY suit that was black with fat navy stripes. It was slim fitting with low rise pants and side vents i believe.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a charcoal/navy stripe Isaia suit that I purchased a few years ago. It's not one of my favorites, but it's not a bad looking suit. I think I've seen a black with navy stripes suit from Dolce & Gabanna or a similar brand.

Tensomoko

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to revive an old topic, but I think it's a midnight blue now.... I saw it in really bright light, still looks black-ish to me in normal indoor lighting. Just curious, is midnight blue/navy good for interviews or does it have to be a pure navy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads