• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BJJ/MT Gyms in DC?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to begin training Brazilian Jiujitsu and/or Muay Thai. I have no aspirations of becoming the next Anderson Silva; I am primarily interested in the physical fitness and artistic aspects of the sports. The two big BJJ/MT gyms in the DC area are Yamasaki and Lloyd Irvin. Does anyone have any experience with these gyms? Or any recommendations of other places to check out?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest checking out a site like sherdog.com and searching for DC related threads, there will surely be some discussing places in that area to train.

I have trained at the Yamasaki location in Richmond, but since any place is only as good as the people training you directly, it wouldn't do much good to recommend them based on name alone.

Good luck.

mizanation

Reaction score
ambulance chaser, i highly suggest that you don't go to sherdog to ask any questions, unless you like to get your advice from twelve year-old TUF fans. go to lloyd irvin's gym. one of my old training buddies, ryan hall, is an instructor there. for bjj, muay thai and mma, the arlington school is the best in the area by far. you will not be disappointed there. *edit* funny, i just noticed that i'm the guy getting triangled in his bio.
smile.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I lurk on Sherdog but don't post because the forums there make the CE forum here look like a kumbaya session. A search on Sherdog revealed recommendations of Irvin, Yamasaki, Capital Jiu-Jitsu (Royce Gracie's school), and Maguilla. Some of Renzo Gracie's students have apparently also opened a school. Because I have limited free time and no car, I will likely choose a school largely based upon my ability to get there easily.

I assume most schools will allow you to observe a teaching session to see that it's what you're looking for? I know there is a lot of variation, but what is the ballpark cost and financial commitment schools ask?

mizanation

Reaction score
yes, all schools will allow you to observe a class (usually a beginner's class).

other things you need to consider is how the payment structure is set up. some schools are notorious for locking you into an extended contract.

also, some schools severely limit the amount of time you can train unless you pay more. this is not a good place to go. you should call up each school and find out how the payment system works.

if you go check out lloyd irvin's school, ask when ryan hall is gonna be teaching and check him out. tell him that his boy ryan from new york sent ya.

i hope you end up going there because they are the best school in the area for a number of reasons. pm me if you want more details...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads