• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big decision - Korea or Japan?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Well, as GS would say, "They all speak ****inese."

teacha.gif

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
words of wisdom:
you 'stick and move' through life.

This is a good piece of wisdom. My life hasn't turned out the way I planned it when I graduated high school, or when I graduated college or when I was out of college for 5 years and I have no complaints. You'll constantly be re-evaluating situations and adjusting your goals and expectations. This is probably just one of the first of many adjustments you'll make. I'd go to Korea for the job and see what happens. You can always go to Japan from there if that burning desire never fades.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
How about both? Go to Dokdo.

crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

Or he could go to Okinoshima, in the Oki District, in Shimane Prefecture!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I'll try not to be one of those ****. Thanks for the advice. dtmt, I heard about Nova. A few people I've met worked for them and just quit recently. It's a real bummer for sure. I don't think my gf is expecting marriage. It's too early for that, but I'm not afraid of going down that road anyway, eventually.
If you guys are planning on living together, then she's going to expect marriage not long after. If you live with a girl and don't get married later, she's no better than a whore to her family to those who know her family. Just saying that's something I'm 99% sure you're going to deal with.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Korea is the easy choice, especially if you're serious about the girl. If I were you, the job alone would be the determining factor. On top of that, a good friend of mine lived in Japan for 10 years, and he had a lot of difficulty relating to the Japanese people and culture, but he visited Seoul a few times and absolutely loved the city, the people and the culture. He really raved about it.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I may be slightly biased here since I was born in Korea and all, but go to Korea.

Japan = the sucks.

Also, Dokdo is not "both." Scalawag.

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
Go to Korea. The girl's there, the job's there - not much to decide. You're still young. You've got a substantial Japanese background and connections, which you can always fall back on. You might not have reason to go to Korea again if things don't work out with this girl.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments. I haven't committed to it yet but I've been leaning towards going to Korea. The fact that the money is there and much better than Japan, and Japan is so close, as GS said, I could always visit my friends in Japan on a long weekend and get my nihongo fix.

I also just learned that I'd be teaching English to Graphic Design students, which is right up my alley as a graphic desing major. The deal really seems to be constantly getting better.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Koreans tend to be very religious (Christian) and family-oriented, you could end up living the life of a 40 year old daddy even if you don't get married or have kids. Visit first.

I've been to Tokyo and Seoul, and Tokyo is a lot more fun.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Real unbiased there, chobochobo. 4v4 BGH $$$ toss v toss nr 20 gg no re? -hasuhasu
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads