• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better quality shirts than Ike Behar

Razeus

Reaction score
In setting my sights for shirts down the line, what are better quality shirts than Ike's? I love his shirts and I'm able to get them for about $40-50 a pop and own about 5 currently.

If you can give the name, where they can be found (for price checking) and what you like about them.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
They're not bad shirts. It just all depends on the fit -- Ike Behar don't fit me. But most of their shirts are single needle stitched, with pearl buttons, and nice collar designs. Their cottons are pretty good, I think -- I think they're superior to Hickey Freeman, for example.

At $40 - $50, you're not going to find a markedly superior shirt -- at least not regularly -- in terms of construction and fabric quality. But, again, it all comes down to fit and whether you like the fabric pattern.

Once you bump up the price range to the $85 - $100 area, then you can start finding RLPL and the like.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can find RLPL in the $125 to $175 range regularly at Neiman Marcus Last Call. I have also purchased numerous Turnbull and Asser, Corneliani, Brioni, Charvet, and Borrelli shirts in the $125 to $200 range at NMLC here in Atlanta. You will not find markedly better quality shirts in the price range you quote. In fact, I have several Ike Behar that I bought in that price range, as well as full retail, and I have been very happy with them.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
I have a series of Ike Behar shirts and a couple of his ties as well.
It's a very sturdy construction, but the shirts are baggy and need alterations.
After alterations..the look of the shirts are sharp.

I do have a couple brioni, borelli, kiton, and zegna shirts in the 300-450 range..and they are a bit "softer" in feel and more delicate.

For color and solid feel..Ike Behar is very nice.

For delicate and exotic..you have to go to the 300-450 range.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And to reiterate my own comment, as well as expand on some of the comments of Holstein, I regularly find Brioni, Kiton, and Borrelli shirts at Neiman Marcus Last Call, all under $200 but almost never under $150. In other words, you can find these $300 to $450 shorts for far less if you have a Saks Off Fifth or Neiman Marcus LC near you. If you spend enough, you can even have sales associates who will call you and alert you to new merchandise and allow you to "reserve" pieces before it hits the floor. I bought a few Brioni and T&A shirts like this last month.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
And to reiterate my own comment, as well as expand on some of the comments of Holstein, I regularly find Brioni, Kiton, and Borrelli shirts at Neiman Marcus Last Call, all under $200 but almost never under $150. In other words, you can find these $300 to $450 shorts for far less if you have a Saks Off Fifth or Neiman Marcus LC near you. If you spend enough, you can even have sales associates who will call you and alert you to new merchandise and allow you to "reserve" pieces before it hits the floor. I bought a few Brioni and T&A shirts like this last month.

Agreed. I found mine at a fire sale at Bergdorf Goodman in NYC for 159 and 199 for them.

Find the great deals and you'll get the nice ones.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay.....now I'm just curious. Is this about price or quality? I'm asking because there is a big gap between Behar (which I own and like, even if they are a little blousy) and T&A, Kiton, Brioni, Borelli. So, I've thought of a few shirtmakers in between those in price point and I'd like to know two things?

1> On a relative scale, is it worth the money (e.g. if I can get a $450 shirt on sale for $175, I'm sure I can get a $175 shirt on sale for $80-90).

2> Where does the benefit of getting MTM trump the overall quality of the shirt (construction and fabric)? if at all.....

Bonus points if anyone can give me Retail and avg. sale price for each, along with ranked order.

CEGO
Robert Talbott Estate
Ike Behar CEO
Hickey Freeman
Tailorbyrd
Richard James
Paul Smith
Canali
Barney's house brand
Lorenzini
E Zegna
Luciano Barbaro
Loro Piana
Michael Kors
Brooks Brothers (Made in USA or Can)
Brooks Brothers (MTM)
Paul Stewart

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads