• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Slim White Dress Shirt <$50?

mispoke

Reaction score
Looking to build up office attire staples.

What's the best slim, white dress shirt under $50 ?

I'm around a 15.5 collar; 34 arm OTR

mispoke

Reaction score
preferably semi-spread collar.

also, how many white shirts would a suit-wearing working man need in rotation?

Ivar

Reaction score
Depends on how you define "slim fit." Boilerplate answer is T.M. Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, and (if you're in the US) Brooks Brothers on sale.

I -- and I'm joined in this by many others -- only wear white shirts in the evening. Mostly because they tend to wash out your complexion when worn in daylight.

JackAndy

Reaction score
Depends on how you define "slim fit." Boilerplate answer is T.M. Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, and (if you're in the US) Brooks Brothers on sale.

I -- and I'm joined in this by many others -- only wear white shirts in the evening. Mostly because they tend to wash out your complexion when worn in daylight.
Thanks I'll check those out. I guess it depends on your complexion, but yeah I think I get washed out pretty easy too. I still can't make heads or tails of the "12 season color analysis" things. It seems like black magic.

Jthaeler

Reaction score
Neiman Marcus Last Call house brand shirts - Trim fit model. They routinely (once per quarter) go on sale for $35 a piece. Two ply, usually x100s. Nothing is going to beat a tailored fit, however. My best advice is to buy a shirt for the fabric and then take it to the tailor.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
On the lower end of the price spectrum, Chaps, yes Chaps, makes a slim non-iron dress shirt. Solid workhorse shirt, can get them for $25-$35.00. Fit is just a hair slimmer than Brooks Brothers Extra Slim or Very Slim or whatever they call it. Pick em up occasionally at Kohl's or JC Penney.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

I guess it depends on your complexion, but yeah I think I get washed out pretty easy too. I still can't make heads or tails of the "12 season color analysis" things. It seems like black magic.

It's not very complicated, really. If the white shirt makes you look pallid, it's probably time for a light blue one; if not, rock on!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on Charles Tyrwhitt. The extra slim fit works very well for me and they have a size guide in the Charles Tyrwhitt thread. The slim fit is not all that slim fitting, so depending on your build, I'd look at the extra slim fit.

A man really needs only one or two white dress shirts in a normal sized shirt rotation or 10 or so (I have three in a rotation of around 30 shirts, though I should note that my work dress code is business casual and I generally do not like white dress shirts without a jacket and tie; if my office were business formal, I might go up to 5 or 6). Some people on here wear white shirts everyday and I am sure they can look elegant doing so, but it isn't something one needs to do. In most environments, light blue is a perfectly acceptable substitute and also comes in a variety of patterns to keep things interesting (broadcloth, end on end, herringbone, bengal stripes, etc.).

Troilus

Reaction score

preferably semi-spread collar.

also, how many white shirts would a suit-wearing working man need in rotation?

It depends on your profession. I split time in two different law offices with very different styles. In one, I can get away with an entire week without a white shirt. In the other, I wear white shirts daily. I would never go to court in anything but white.

White is considered much more formal than blue and other shirts. I was once told by a senior partner that when he was an associate (1970s), only senior partners were permitted to wear anything but white.

In total, I have around seven white non-iron ESF from Brooks Brothers, all semi-spread. I probably have another dozen non-iron shirts (all BB) in different colors.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

White is considered much more formal than blue and other shirts. I was once told by a senior partner that when he was an associate (1970s), only senior partners were permitted to wear anything but white.

I hear you somewhat. White is more formal, but I don't think there's a huge change in level of formality between a white shirt and a light blue shirt. Of course the white's more conservative and may be preferred in some offices as your experience indicates, but I don't think there's a huge difference today. The comment from the senior partner seems to be more a reflection of the 1970s, when I would guess the white dress shirt uniform was much more common, than indicative of anything today (the number of places where a light blue shirt would be frowned upon are few and far between in my experience).

deadAngle

Reaction score
If you're willing to order before the end of March, Natty Shirts has all their fabrics for made-to-measure, made-to-order shirts priced at $25.00. You could probably get exactly the fit you want in exactly the colour and pattern you want. I haven't ordered yet but am definitely considering it.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shudder to think of the fabrics that get sold on a $25 shirt. Even back in the day, Jantzen was almost twice this and had fairly mediocre fabric. You're also not guaranteed a good fit using online MTM (some people have success, others have stuff that looks like crap).

haze324

Reaction score
Agree on Last Call shirts and for a little slimmer I like Nordtrom Rack shirts. Both around 30-35 bucks.

Robstheme

Reaction score
Moderator's note: This post was shilling for Nattyshirts. The user and others shilling for them have been banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads