Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best shoe in the 400-500 range?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nickrut, Feb 10, 2013.

1. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Been looking to take a step forward from Allen Edmonds into something in that next tier of quality. I've seen that the Alfred Sargent Exclusives seem to get good reviews, as do C&J's and Trickers.

Is there anything that really stands out in this price range from a quality standpoint? I wish I could justify the extra 2-300 needed for G&G's...maybe with my next promotion, who knows.

Appreciate any help!

2. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Church's and CJ's. You won't get GG for 2-300 more unless if you get lucky on B&S. However, I would wait to get G&G's

What are your sizes?

3. silentfox74

silentfox74 Active Member

In terms of what readily available to acquire, I would say Church's, Tricker's, and Alden (coming from Allen Edmonds & Clarks). C & J seem to have a shortage of sort in most of the online store I frequently visit. You could try Carmina's online store, but after paying for custom, and shipping fee, the total cost would be over the 500 dollar range.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

4. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

So these are better than the AS Exclusive line? I think I want a more european last so Alden is probably out.

Thanks for the responses so far. I wear a 13 D or E in Allen Edmonds so they aren't so easy to find in the BS forum.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

S Exclusives are great. You can also get C&J BG directly from them and they will run $400 and change. Carmina will run around $500ish depending on the shoe. Vass is also an option and will run around $500ish too I think. I like Tricker's but their smart shoe lasts are closer to Alden so that might not be to your liking.

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Church's quality is very hit or miss and it uses A LOT of corrected grain. Tricker's is very nice, but can be rather boring. You mentioned that you're looking for a European last/style, can you be more specific? More details are always better to help recommendations.