• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shoe in the 400-500 range?

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking to take a step forward from Allen Edmonds into something in that next tier of quality. I've seen that the Alfred Sargent Exclusives seem to get good reviews, as do C&J's and Trickers.

Is there anything that really stands out in this price range from a quality standpoint? I wish I could justify the extra 2-300 needed for G&G's...maybe with my next promotion, who knows.

Appreciate any help!

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church's and CJ's. You won't get GG for 2-300 more unless if you get lucky on B&S. However, I would wait to get G&G's

What are your sizes?

silentfox74

Reaction score
In terms of what readily available to acquire, I would say Church's, Tricker's, and Alden (coming from Allen Edmonds & Clarks). C & J seem to have a shortage of sort in most of the online store I frequently visit. You could try Carmina's online store, but after paying for custom, and shipping fee, the total cost would be over the 500 dollar range.

Last edited:

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So these are better than the AS Exclusive line? I think I want a more european last so Alden is probably out.

Thanks for the responses so far. I wear a 13 D or E in Allen Edmonds so they aren't so easy to find in the BS forum.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S Exclusives are great. You can also get C&J BG directly from them and they will run $400 and change. Carmina will run around $500ish depending on the shoe. Vass is also an option and will run around $500ish too I think. I like Tricker's but their smart shoe lasts are closer to Alden so that might not be to your liking.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church's quality is very hit or miss and it uses A LOT of corrected grain. Tricker's is very nice, but can be rather boring. You mentioned that you're looking for a European last/style, can you be more specific? More details are always better to help recommendations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads