• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Plain Men's T-shirts?

cedarpine

Reaction score
This is a bit of a rant, and also a plea for help!

I want to buy a bunch of plain crewneck tees for myself, black and/or white.
I'm a bit picky when it comes to undershirts. I have a couple black ones from H&M, and the price is great (under 7$), but they shrink awkwardly and I can't always remember not to put them through the dryer.
The collars also sorta lose their "integrity" they flop around a bit instead of staying flat like when I bought them.

I see a lot of good deals at places like Winners and Marshalls for "good brand" multipacks, but Its hard since a CK medium looks to be like an H&M L or XL even, and usually you can't try them on since their they are sealed, and sorta considered underwear. Even in standalone brand names stores, like Banana Rep. they are often packaged.

Sometimes even brand new tees are all linty and pilled looking ( note: I wear a lot of plain black tees so this is why they prob appear linty, since black shows lint so easily), and I also worry about durability - I have a plain black tee from Uniqlo and it just doesnt feel nice after washing, and looks pilly and linty all the time.

Also with white tees - they are often made pretty of pretty thin material which isn't very flattering when worn as clothing (not Marlon Brando, sorry!)

So in summary I'm looking for

- Durable, thicker material (doesn't have to be 100% cotton,)
- Crew neck
- Cut: not too baggy, a little slim is fine but not tight or super-slim fitting!
- Affordable!
- Plain black or plain white
- can work as an undershirt, but works equally well as a simple component of an outfit, or standalone shirt

So...please share your experiences with plain tees!

falla

Reaction score
I actually dont have any good experience with t-shirts. The only t-shirt that has fitted me good is a Margiela and I really dont want to pay that much for a plain t-shirt more than once.

I have also been looking for some new plain tees lately, without any experience from owning or trying on, these are the ones I think atleast look good.

http://www.stevenalan.com/1950'S-SP..._VEN__ALL__NA__VA-40850-0032_color=GREY MELEE - Have heard from some people that the LVC-tees has dropped their fit-quality though.

http://www.subject096.com/product/6706

http://www.norseprojects.com/store/all/tshirts - Good looking colours and tees overall for an okay price.

Cosstores.com also hold some simple t-shirts. I own a few and they fit me quite good, not sure whether I like the non-thick fabric though.

Tell me if you find any good tees, please!

Thanks

falla

Reaction score
Yeah, forgot to add:

Have heard alot of people talk good about Dries van Notens plain tees, aswell as Alexander Wangs ( if youre okay with black/grey/white ).

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo 3-pack of white tees.........can be worn anyway you like and hoid up for quite some time.

Cheers!

cedarpine

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't tried any of the suggestions mentioned!

Has anyone had good luck with American Apparel tshirts? They make so many different kinds that its confusing on their website!

cedarpine

Reaction score
I also saw a three pack of CK black crew neck cotton Ts again, but for only $20, but wasn't sold on the texture - any experience with them?

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 Year basic T from Lulu Lemon

SmileForum

Reaction score
This thread is a joke right? unless it doesn't have some significant change in design with length, seams, and cut than sorry, but this thread is a bit silly.

Uniqlo Supima/Premium 100% cotton T-Shirts will do you good. This is my go to brand for t-shirts/buttoned shirts/and spring or summer essentials. "Holds up" better than Everlane, and other brands in my opinion. If you feel price really does make a huge difference, you can always try Lands End supima t-shirts.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/featured/supima-cotton.html
http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-short-sleeve-tailored-fit-super-t/id_200182

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads