• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to buy a 'reasonably priced' suit in UK?

Bungalows

Reaction score
So I have a job interview coming up and I need a suit. I have a budget of somewhere between £250-£400. I plan to buy the suit 'off-the-rack' online and then get it tailored so that it's a nicer fit. It will need to be size 52R (which is annoying because most places seem to only go upto 50R). I would really, really appreciate your help finding a nice RTW suit online because I don't want to end up regretting my purchase.

I've already bought a suit from Jaeger and I honestly quite liked it, but the jacket was too tight (I tried a 50R and that's their biggest size) so it will have to go back. It's this one:

http://www.jaegeroutlet.com/Navy-He...r_285541Z_size=38R&start=9&q=navy herringbone

Really, for the price (I paid £150) it is unbelievable. The fabric is really nice and it's half-canvassed (I think), but alas.

Then I was looking at buying this Hugo Boss suit, because it comes in a 52R (i.e., Euro 62):

http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/comfor...Dark Blue#prefn1=size&sz=48&prefv1=62&start=1

But then I read some stuff on here about HB being really bad quality, so that's probably out of the question!

What would you guys do in my shoes? Bearing in mind, I don't have enough time to get a suit tailored from scratch (I have about 2 weeks until my interview), and that would probably be too expensive anyway.

I just want something that is nice (but not flashy) and reasonably priced (even though I will be prepared to spend more if I can, e.g., get a canvassed suit for the extra). As an alternative, any recommendations on a nice blazer would do, because this isn't a super-formal workplace.

nmoore82

Reaction score
Marks & Spencer? They no doubt have some that will go up to a 52 and in your price range. The Collezione or Autograph ones will normally be of an ok quality too.

Bungalows

Reaction score

They look quite nice, but are they really any better than Jaeger's stuff? Jaeger has good word of mouth and are typically at least semi-canvassed. I'm not sure if I'd be better off seeing if I can get the Jaeger one I've already bought taken out a bit by a tailor? I'm sure I could get an extra inch out of it.

What would be the next step-up suit-wise from Jaeger/M&S/TML?

Last edited:

nmoore82

Reaction score
They look quite nice, but are they really any better than Jaeger's stuff? Jaeger has good word of mouth and are typically at least semi-canvassed. I'm not sure if I'd be better off seeing if I can get the Jaeger one I've already bought taken out a bit by a tailor? I'm sure I could get an extra inch out of it.

What would be the next step-up suit-wise from Jaeger/M&S/TML?

If a tailor can let out an extra inch, then great - will save you the stress of looking for a new one before your interview deadline.
See if you can order some navy horn buttons online (include smaller ones for the cuffs) and ask the tailor to replace the plastic ones you normally get on an OTR. Touches like that will bring the suit to life a bit.

If Jaeger / TML etc are all half canvased, next step up would be a full canvas - might be a little out of your budget unless you are able to find one in a sale.

To be honest, the quality is probably just as good as a designer suit that is also half canvased. I rememeber watching a BBC documentary on this - they visited a factory where designer suits were being made next to M&S ones. Only difference was that there would be jazzy lining and branded buttons (which no-one sees) on the designer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads