• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Omelettes

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Omelettes are one thing I can pretty reliably make quite well, and they can range from just comforting and nourishing to quite impressive depending on what's inside. I rarely go out of my way to get omelette fillings, generally pulling things I already had in the fridge like lunchmeat, leftovers, vegetables etc. - though I do buy bags of shredded cheese mostly for omelette purposes. I try to keep all my omelette prep down to 5-10 minutes total, because by the time I think of making food I'm usually already quite hungry.

Today for lunch I made a three egg omelette, stirring a bit of Cavender's Greek Seasoning (it's an herbed salt and I think it has MSG, but it's very all purpose, and I don't use much anyway) and dry oregano flakes into the eggs. I'm careful not to whip air into the eggs and I don't see any need to water them down or add milk, etc. (I rarely have milk anyway.) On occasion I'll add other herbs, like fresh chives if I have them, thin chopped green onions, etc. to the eggs, because cooking them into the egg infuses it with a lot of flavor, as opposed to just putting these things inside. A matter of preference of course. If I make an omelette to put into ramen, I add a tiny bit of soy sauce to the eggs while stirring them.

I use what I guess is a hybrid method for cooking the egg part - I pour the eggs into a medium heated, buttered/oiled pan and stir them with a fork until they start to solidify. I then pull them away from the edges and continue moving them around and spreading them out until they cook evenly and leave no gaps. I had gone with a sort of pseudo Italian theme for this one so I cut up some Cotto salami lunchmeat and simultaneously sauteed it in another pan with some olive oil so it would be a little less squishy and hot as well. Once the eggs were almost not-wet on top (not dried out, but there is a point when they aren't slick anymore yet still need more cooking) I put mozzerella cheese over the whole thing and let it melt. Once it was melted I spread some green olive tapenade I had in the fridge on one half and put the sausage pieces on the other half. I let it sit for just a bit longer while I put a plate on the smaller burner that had just been turned off (I don't like putting an omelette on a cold plate - I eat slow). Then I carefully slid it off onto the plate, folding it in between the sausage and olive half.

It was excellent.

Other fillings I use are the obvious ham and cheddar, fresh tomatoes chopped (without the wetter parts generally), other cheeses, chopped up katsu leftovers, shrimp with cocktail sauce (maybe with cream cheese...hmm), black olives, capers, all kinds of things. Generally, there is a cheese, some sort of meat, and if I have anything appropriate, some vegetables.

Does anyone have any favorite omelette recipes or anything I could improve in my technique?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Salmon, cream cheese, chives or green onions.

Pancetta, mozzarella, avocado, bit of tomato, lots of pepper.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds rich. My favorite omelette is filled with artichoke hearts, garlic, and sharp cheddar cheese.
clap.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Sounds rich. My favorite omelette is filled with artichoke hearts, garlic, and sharp cheddar cheese.
clap.gif

That does sound good.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite. Makes a fine frittata, as well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The technique you describe is pretty much what I do. I use a little more heat, more like medium high. But then I semi-scramble with a rubber spatula, then pull in the edges, then tilt the pan around to let the still-liquid eggs run everywhere, then reset the edges. Then fold onto the plate as you say.

I would recommend you try some nice cheese at least once. Freshly grated gruyere is great. Or an extra sharp cheddar. Sprinkle it in perpendicular to the pan's handle. It makes the omlette easier to fold, and the cheese will be more evenly distributed.

Oh, and on something simple like an omlette, the taste difference between pre-ground pepper and freshly ground is noticeable.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend, shrimps.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like (nice call, persid) Comte, portobellos, and good ham. Feta, chicken and spinach is also interesting. Poached potatos and bacon. Turkey and mushrooms. Dill and smoked sturgeon.

More will come to me.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much what I do too. I put anything into an omelette. Quick, easy, nutritious, and tasty. They're pretty much like the ideal 24 hr bachelor food.

A big + 1 on the green peppers!

Stax

Reaction score
I like them very simple. Maybe some frehly grated parmesan, rocket and cracked black pepper or feta, kalamatas, and grape tomotoes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
sounds too much like hard work. I wonder if I could train the maid to make them. She ended up quite proficient at spaghetti from a jar.

I am quite the omelette fan though. Laziness once saw me buy an omelette maker thingy in Australia, but they came out way too thick, so used it once, stuck it in the cupboard, and there it died I guess.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a variation on this pleasure, make an omelette soufflÃ
00a9.png
e.

Also, upon serving your omelette, you can drizzle a little bit of malt vinegar or balsamic vinegar on top.

I like to make potato omelettes (sauteed potatoes, either sliced or cubed). If only truffles were easily available near here.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd second (or third) the suggestion of cream cheese. Also, I've used salsa (generally added just before folding or poured on top after folding and removing from the pan). It's been awhile since I've cooked one, however.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
I like them very simple. Maybe some frehly grated parmesan, rocket and cracked black pepper or feta, kalamatas, and grape tomotoes.

Delicious!! How about a little onion??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads