• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best dressed list

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching The Today Show on NBC (thank gawd Katie Curic is gone) and they just had a feature on Vanity Fair's best dressed list. Among the men were:

George Clooney
Prince William (or was it Harry? The older one anyway).

It got me to thinking, especially with the latter, that it isn't much of an accomplishment to dress well when you have 10s or 100s of millions of dollars (or billions!). It almost makes me appreciate Blackwell's worst-dressed list all the more--if you can't dress well when you have all that money you have a problem. I know price tag never guarantees how it will look (and my very cheap seersucker suit is a perfect example) but come on. Get a stylist if you can't dress yourself.

It also makes me like The Sartorialist's blog and his photos of people on the street.

Anyway. [They've also had two proposals this morning on the show, I've never seen any before.]

bob

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never taken much stock in any of the "Best Dressed" list. The print media picks celebrities who it deems well-dressed. This is just self-serving on the highest degree; they (media and celebrities) are just ass-kissing each other. Much better for the media to pick some random person on the street and do a contest that way. As I recall, Oprah was also on this Vanity Fair list. I would be much more surprised (shocked) if she DOES NOT make the list, given how wealthy she is.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nor have I. But watching that this morning when they showed Prince William, I just thought "oh for crying out loud, of course he can dress well..."

You have to ignore the men's list when you see them put someone up who has notched lapels on his "tuxedo" and wears no tie with it, etc. But then again, maybe I'm picky since I'm in the hunt for one myself right now.
wink.gif

bob

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
re: best dressed with money, how hard is it to look nice when you're george clooney and you not only are good looking, you get a ton of free clothes, and if you don't like the free clothes you can buy anything you want? kind of like playing poker against a bunch of college students and you have $10M at your disposal. you'll probably end up winning

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I'm sitting here watching The Today Show on NBC (thank gawd Katie Curic is gone) and they just had a feature on Vanity Fair's best dressed list. Among the men were:

George Clooney
Prince William (or was it Harry? The older one anyway).

It got me to thinking, especially with the latter, that it isn't much of an accomplishment to dress well when you have 10s or 100s of millions of dollars (or billions!). It almost makes me appreciate Blackwell's worst-dressed list all the more--if you can't dress well when you have all that money you have a problem. I know price tag never guarantees how it will look (and my very cheap seersucker suit is a perfect example) but come on. Get a stylist if you can't dress yourself.

It also makes me like The Sartorialist's blog and his photos of people on the street.

Anyway. [They've also had two proposals this morning on the show, I've never seen any before.]

bob

Ah, but Katie Curic will be anchoring for the evening news on one of the major networks. I'll make it a point to miss her tepid, mousey -voiced reporting.

Buddy Love

Reaction score
I have a mantra for you. To be repeated daily.

"I wasn't in the best dressed list, because they haven't seen me."

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be easy to look great if you're blessed with good genetics and/or megabucks, but you still need to care in order to dress well. It also takes at least some minimal taste and talent to coordinate colors, patterns, and textures, or at the very least the good sense to hire someone with these skills to help. I think celebrities who dress well should be applauded for caring enough to set a good example for all those who idolize them (Although in the case of Prince William that category probably included primarily teenage girls
laugh.gif
). Look at all the celebrity counterexamples who are constantly ripped on the fora for *not* dressing well. Let's not minimize the efforts of the few good examples we do have.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
It may be easy to look great if you're blessed with good genetics and/or megabucks, but you still need to care in order to dress well. It also takes at least some minimal taste and talent to coordinate colors, patterns, and textures, or at the very least the good sense to hire someone with these skills to help. I think celebrities who dress well should be applauded for caring enough to set a good example for all those who idolize them (Although in the case of Prince William that category probably included primarily teenage girls
laugh.gif
). Look at all the celebrity counterexamples who are constantly ripped on the fora for *not* dressing well. Let's not minimize the efforts of the few good examples we do have.

I tend to agree. A lot of people with tons of money dress like total slobs. Money has nothing to do with taste.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, with Harry, it's less a matter of money than of culture, environment and expectations. Him not being able to dress well is like him not knowing how to ride or shoot or know which fork to use. In a way, it's almost superfluous to have a Royal on the list.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness, George Clooney looks great with a very minimalist look.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I'm sitting here watching The Today Show on NBC (thank gawd Katie Curic is gone) and they just had a feature on Vanity Fair's best dressed list. Among the men were: (or was it Harry? The older one anyway).
Actually Harry got lots of coverage for how he dressed but it was not for good taste...
prince_harry_naziCrop2.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I tend to agree. A lot of people with tons of money dress like total slobs. Money has nothing to do with taste.

I agree, many mega wealthy don't dress well. But as those on this Forum know, You don't have to be mega wealthy to dress well.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Some musicians:

1. Peter Cincotti in Zegna does very well.
2. John Pizzarelli, not sure what he wears.
3. Wynton Marsalis, always snappy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads