• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginner In Need of Some Suit Advice

jmike389

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just starting out building my suit collection and I'm not extremely knowledgable on the subject. Most of what I've learned I read here.

I've seen what appears to be some "very good" deals on Stile Latino suits. I know they are a lower like on Attolini, but how do they fit in to the overall heirarchy of high end suits? I can't find much information on them at all.

Are they pretty much in the same class as Isaia? I've had one seller (who is selling Isaia, go figure) tell me the Stile Latino is no where close to the quality of Isaia and that they use synthetics and may not be fully canvassed. I'm not sure how this could be when the Isaia I was looking at retails at around $3250 and the Stile Latino retails at $3900.

I just don't want to make any mistakes.

Thanks!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those sounds ok for starter suits, however later try to buy suits made of all wool worsted.

Ivar

Reaction score
You sound like you don't know nearly enough about traditional menswear to splash out that kind of money right now. I would suggest you go very slowly at first. Perhaps starting out with a few thrift-store finds or w/e.

jmike389

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the response, then is it safe to assume that the Isaia suit is better quality and the better use of my money?

Ivar

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you're getting at ... Yes, if it stood only between those two makers, the Isaia might conceivably be a better deal. But that's a rather binary way of looking at it, no? There are thousands of suit makers vying for your money.

jmike389

Reaction score
I agree, the purpose of this question was really to see if anyone had experience with Stile Latino suits and could compare them quality-wise to Isaia or other popular makers as a benchmark for me to make a decision on whether the Stile Latino is worth my money or if I should pursue the Isaia that I like because it is simply a better, or more quality suit for the money.

Mox C

Reaction score

I've had one seller (who is selling Isaia, go figure) tell me the Stile Latino is no where close to the quality of Isaia and that they use synthetics and may not be fully canvassed.  I'm not sure how this could be when the Isaia I was looking at retails at around $3250 and the Stile Latino retails at $3900.

"The testers found striking differences in quality, sometimes out of line with the suit's price. Both testers said the $614 Suitsupply suit matched the $3,625 Armani in quality. Both saw little difference in quality between the two, or at least not enough to justify a $3,000 difference in price."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703385404576258671135584478.html

Don't let prices fool you. In the world of fashion, you often end up paying quite a bit extra just for the name on the tag.

I agree with Ivar. I have a few months of research under my belt and I'm no where near the point where I could make effective use of $3000 on a suit. I'd start off with one under $1000. Once you've worn it a while, you'll have a better idea of what you might want to look for in an upgrade.

jmike389

Reaction score
Thank you all again for the advice. As i said I quoted retail prices. I would not be paying the full price. Both of the suits I'm looking at a deeply discounted I'm just trying to make a decision and was hoping to find someone to speak the the quality of these two to make my decision easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads