• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beatle boots, what to wear with?

Alextuf90122

Reaction score
Well, I don't think necessarily that I can't pull them off. I tend to pull off whatever it is that I choose to wear, whatever it may be. I think most of it is attributed to the fact that I place little value on what others think of how I look, etc. I don't like to dress well for others, I dress well for me. I like to do it. If I were comfortable walking through the city on a Friday night in my pajamas, I'd do so. So I've the confidence thing down fine, I think. It's more just, what the hell do I wear with these suckers.

Thanks for the posts guys. You've been very helpful, and I know how annoying it can be to be helpful to...ehrm...noobs.
blush.gif

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alextuf90122
Well, I don't think necessarily that I can't pull them off. I tend to pull off whatever it is that I choose to wear, whatever it may be. I think most of it is attributed to the fact that I place little value on what others think of how I look, etc. I don't like to dress well for others, I dress well for me. I like to do it. If I were comfortable walking through the city on a Friday night in my pajamas, I'd do so..

that's what they all say.

You said they look "goofy." If you think they look "goofy," then you don't have the confidence to wear them. If you don't have the confidence to wear them, then you can't pull them off. If you have the confidence to look like a salsa dancer, then more power to you.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Cuban heels can't be done.

Cuban heels look best on cowboy boots, IMO. I always loved those early 70s concert pics of Iggy and the Stooges where he has his silver pants and cuban heeled cowboy boots - very stylish in a rock & roll sorta way.

Cuban heels on ankle-boots I've never really gotten into- but I have seen them done well. Usually Brit bands of the mid 60s.

Alextuf90122

Reaction score
Well, I just tried them with some very very old indigo Cheap Mondays that no longer fit me (they now show every contour of my knee, thigh, shin area...ew), just to try the color. And I do believe I've found the solution
laugh.gif
. If I look in the mirror without my glasses/contacts/x-ray specs, so I don't see the absurd details of the pants, and just the general form, I like what I see. Darkwash denim it is. I may post photos later and see what you guys think...

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alextuf90122
I think most of it is attributed to the fact that I place little value on what others think of how I look, etc.

Well piss off then!!! Why are you then on here asking us what you should wear them if, A) you don't care what we think anyway and B) you reckon you have the confidence to wear them.
If that is the case it shouldn't matter to you what you wear them with.

So my conclusion is that you're either a complete hypocrite or you've inadvertently contradicted yourself because in truth you're not confident at all, and You know you won't venture out the door with them on until you've gained some kind of approval from others on this forum!
That ain't confidence mate! That's the opposite of confidence, no matter how much you protest to the contrary with statements like the above!

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
that's what they all say.

You said they look "goofy." If you think they look "goofy," then you don't have the confidence to wear them. If you don't have the confidence to wear them, then you can't pull them off. If you have the confidence to look like a salsa dancer, then more power to you.

EXACTLY!

Alextuf90122

Reaction score
Spirit of 69, I don't have a clever retort, I think the term "piss off" is totally unnecessary, and as I'm new to the forum, I'm not interested in getting into an argument and making more people dislike me than I already have.

That being said...

I absolutely do care what the individuals I'm consulting on this forum think. Absolutely I do. There's advice, opinions, information to be had, and I value all that I've gotten, both positive and negative. But I don't appreciate your being, frankly, in my opinion, an asshole to me. If you believe that what you said is true, than say so. But please instead offer it up as advice or constructive criticism. This is a "style forum", and confidence accounts for a large part of a person's "style", so who's to say that's not fair game for discussion on this forum. I'd honestly have graciously considered every word of what you said.

Anyhow. I've ventured out the door numerous times in the shoes. I've felt totally fine. I noticed looks of intrigue, amusement, pity, and what have you. And to be perfectly honest, I've felt fine. I've been confident that hey, I'm in a fairly conservative area, and a few people probably think I'm a cowboy/weirdo/dandy, and I've not cared but a tad. What I simply asked everyone is, what kind of ensemble could this footwear be worn with to look a bit more appropriate. End of it.

People who claim to care nothing for what others think of them are filthy liars, as are those who claim to "have no regrets". You're absolutely right. I care a little bit what people think of me. I am, after all, only human. But when it comes to what it is that I choose to wear, my amount of concern for other's negative opinions measures very very low on the importance scale. Do I, though, care what the knowledgable and informed people on this forum think? Absolutely. Have I come to them for guidance on simply throwing together of an outfit? Yes. If every one of the people in this thread tells me "Well piss off then! It can't be done! You haven't the confidence!", will I walk out the door tomorrow in my drainpipe jeans and beatle boots, maybe looking like a twat, maybe not, with my head high, my self-esteem in tip-top, clean-as-a-whistle shape?
You bet your sorry ******* ass I will.

Alextuf90122

Reaction score
Well, 69, in retrospect, your message seemed to take on a less abrasive tone in the second half. Therefore, I apologize for my defensiveness IF such is the case. If not, then, well, nevermind!
smile.gif

Dion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Try posting a pic - what you describe sounds like the trad match for winklepicker-style boot. Maybe you need a flatter heel or maybe you have a cuban heel now? Maybe try a chisel toe in a Chelsea boot?

**** you thats my avatar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads