• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beards

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I can grow a bitchin goatee, but those are so overdone not to mention nasty looking, so better to shave. Mmmm Trumpers. I'm trying out my T&H Ultimate Comfort samples now, though.

UC is good isn't it? Me likes lavender - but I cannot justify getting those (not different enough, I feel). As for the goatee, go for a combo. I accessorise my small goatee with medium-low lower angular sideburns, with a slight downwards angle
smile.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
UC is nice but it didn't smell like lavender to me at all, more like bergamot. If I'd buy either of them, it would be the aftershave I think. The English creams have great scents, but as far as performance goes, nothing beats Will G's soaps or that cheapo Surrey soap melted down with a little vegetable glycerin stirred in before hardening.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
For those who don't like beards, they can save your life. (Or your face at least) Last year around this time I grew a beard and I got in a bicycle accident that put me in a coma. I had landed on the left side of my face and the beard completely cushioned me and prevented any mishap to my face although my ear was not quite so lucky. (got a severe case of road rash).

Wow, I've never heard of a bicycle accident ending in a coma. Care to tell that story?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UC is nice but it didn't smell like lavender to me at all, more like bergamot. If I'd buy either of them, it would be the aftershave I think. The English creams have great scents, but as far as performance goes, nothing beats Will G's soaps or that cheapo Surrey soap melted down with a little vegetable glycerin stirred in before hardening.

The aftershave balm was very nice, I must agree. Have to try the Surrey.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If ya do, be sure to stir in 1/2 a tsp of glycerin into it while melted. On its own, the Surrey is pretty poor.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I guess you could consider what I have to be a beard. I've not been entirely clean shaven since I was about 16 or 17, with the pinnacle of my facial hair being a LONG full beard my first two years of college. Currently I'm sporting something similar to Jeremy Popoff from the band Lit, who is the guy in the picture linked below, except that I have a moustache, and I don't braid the goatee part (my goatee's only about 4.5" long). http://www.dailyceleb.com/thumbs/tn.DC.140511.jpg

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
devndra_img_01.jpg

i was looking for a picture of devendra from the recent NYT style magazine, but i couldn't find one.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ODD, I looked at that pict of your/Lit's facial hair and was about to say "lame" until it made me think of King Tut. Now I amend my comment to "cool".

Max

Reaction score
I had a beard for about 8 months last year, but shaved it because I think I look better without one. Full beards and moustaches are fine, but as far as I'm concerned soul patches, goatees, and "stylish" sideburns shouldn't be worn unless you're in a Nu-Metal band.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
I had a beard for about 8 months last year, but shaved it because I think I look better without one. Full beards and moustaches are fine, but as far as I'm concerned soul patches, goatees, and "stylish" sideburns shouldn't be worn unless you're in a Nu-Metal band.

Oh crap, I have to hurry up then and get together my band... "Stelios and the Lemon Curry Loonies of Death" is looking for a manager! Any takers?

laugh.gif

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
ODD, I looked at that pict of your/Lit's facial hair and was about to say "lame" until it made me think of King Tut. Now I amend my comment to "cool".

I'd say that your connection to King Tut is actually pretty accurate. Since I don't braid mine in a small strand, it's much more "square", like that of the young king's.

It's not a conventional look, but it works for my appearance. I've been everything from rockabilly to goth in my teens, but I'm now trying to cultivate a slightly less outlandish appearance (I'm still a rocker, with a few well-done tattoos and long hair, but I've exchanged my skateshoes for Steve Maddens and my numetal for indie rock).

Since my original post, I've grown my sideburns into more of the shape of the picture faustian bargain posted, but with the lengthened goatee.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more reason I have a goatee: chin burns and extra cushioning when I am wearing the men for kendo (the headgear). Because it anchors around the face and under the chin, the material can burn me if I have shaved under my chin completely plus it adds a little more cushioning for when I get popped on the noggin!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads