Beards

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Hawkeye, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt [email protected]

never had one, totally wouldnt suit me.

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

The beard I'd like to have is Katie Holmes.
    Ooooh iceburn!

I have a scraggly goatee type thing right now. I probably shouldn't, but it amuses me for the meantime.

I had no idea it was currently fashionable, although I notice that all the current Ralph Lauren ads feature a team of beardie-weirdies.

3. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I guess beards are OK if you are protesting the war, capitalism, or hygiene in general. I'll stick with cultivating a respectful, clean appearance by shaving though.

Wow, way to cast aspersions on those of us who choose to have them. I protest none of the issues you raise. My appearance is no less respectful because of the beard. None of my partners has ever suggested I shave (indeed, there are several partners at my firm who have beards).

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

5. jay allen

jay allen Well-Known Member

I've had a goatee for probably 10 years. I keep talking about shaving it off.....but my wife is adament that I keep it. Maybe I'll surprise her some morning when I walk out of the bathroom.

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Scruffy always, but I usually keep my facial hair somewhere in between "haven't shaved" and "very short beard". I trim the edges so that it doesn't look *too* scruffy. It visually reinforces my jawline. My girlfriend likes it, as do most of my female friends/acquaintances, so I'll keep sporting it for a while.

7. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

I've had one for the last six months as a part of a mourning ritual which has justy come to an end this week. I've never considered myself a beard person -- am very clean cut, quite conservative, fond of Georgian and art deco style, and generally preppy or SR in attire -- but it receives innumerable compliments from many, many women who've known me a very long time. (I might as well be Walt Whitman to women under 30, however.)

I had been having second thoughts about shaving it off at the end of the mourning period -- especially as I've only just determined the right length for it -- but someone gave me a gift certificate for the Art of Shaving in honour of the event and I feel I need to make a break with the mourning period. The fact that the NYT is reporting them as cool is an added incentive. Unfortunately, when I grow it again in the autumn I'll be thought to be following the NYT -- sigh.

8. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

The beard I'd like to have is Katie Holmes.

I think NBC is looking for your help in their Thursday lineup.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have had a beard for about 15 years - a goatee. I just shaved it off a few weeks ago for the first time. I feel like a real tool, but I wanted to take it off before a job interview. I will grow it back later.

10. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I have had a beard for about 15 years - a goatee. I just shaved it off a few weeks ago for the first time. I feel like a real tool, but I wanted to take it off before a job interview. I will grow it back later.

I have done the same thing, also. Goatees grow back, at least this way one more possible bone of contention with the interviewer is gone.

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

I guess beards are OK if you are protesting the war, capitalism, or hygiene in general. I'll stick with cultivating a respectful, clean appearance by shaving though.

arethusa is right. you are a bit of a troll.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

*bows

Don't take anything I say too seriously, Flannel. I am a bit of a troll, he's right hehe. Borderline, perhaps.

Beards look great on some people, terrible on others. I fall into the latter category is all.

13. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

*bows

Don't take anything I say too seriously, Flannel. I am a bit of a troll, he's right hehe. Borderline, perhaps.

Beards look great on some people, terrible on others. I fall into the latter category is all.

I guess being a "chinny" (aka non-beardie) makes it easier to enjoy the full effect of high-end lather - it can be difficult to get the DE around my goatee when my face is covered in meringue-like layers of Trumper's [​IMG]

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

I can grow a bitchin goatee, but those are so overdone not to mention nasty looking, so better to shave. Mmmm Trumpers. I'm trying out my T&H Ultimate Comfort samples now, though.

15. denning

denning Senior member

For those who don't like beards, they can save your life. (Or your face at least) Last year around this time I grew a beard and I got in a bicycle accident that put me in a coma. I had landed on the left side of my face and the beard completely cushioned me and prevented any mishap to my face although my ear was not quite so lucky. (got a severe case of road rash).