• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beach front hotels around LA

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be any closer to LA than Malibu, but there's only one place in Malibu which is the Malibu Beach Inn which frankly doesn't look that great. Is there some kind of special place somewhere around LA or should I go all the way to Santa Barbara for the weekend?

I'm looking for something special and serene.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I have not been here myself, but have heard good things about it. http://www.terranea.com It's about 15 minutes from where I grew up, and I can say that the location is fantastic -- a beautiful spot on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. (In high school I actually worked on the property in its former incarnation, which was Marineland -- a smaller, crappier precursor to Sea World.)
That said, I think it's more sprawling resort than small, intimate hotel.
Your impression of the Malibu Beach Inn is correct -- it's fine, but not great.
I imagine there are some nice places in Laguna Beach if you wanted to go that direction, but that's really no closer than Santa Barbara and not nearly as nice of a drive. (PCH > 405)
If you do bite the bullet and stay in Santa Barbara, you might want to check out http://www.spanishgardeninn.com I stayed there this past fall and really liked it. It is not on the beach, though; it's a few blocks off State Street.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have not been here myself, but have heard good things about it. http://www.terranea.com It's about 15 minutes from where I grew up, and I can say that the location is fantastic -- a beautiful spot on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. (In high school I actually worked on the property in its former incarnation, which was Marineland -- a smaller, crappier precursor to Sea World.)
I imagine there are some nice places in Laguna Beach if you wanted to go that direction, but that's really no closer than Santa Barbara and not nearly as nice of a drive. (PCH > 405)
If you do bite the bullet and stay in Santa Barbara, you might want to check out http://www.spanishgardeninn.com I stayed there this past fall and really liked it. It is not on the beach, though; it's a few blocks off State Street.

I'm strongly considering SB. It is for a special weekend so I would like the hotel to be as nicely appointed as possible, and hopefully not in the dreadful "California casual" style, if possible.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I remember when I was in college I took my girlfriend to Shutters for one night of sun and sex, and when we got there we looked out the window and some disgusting woman was taking photographs for what was clearly the beginning of her career in Appreciation.

I love the SB Biltmore. It is a little run down, or was the last time I was there, but I think it remains one of the very special places in CA.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember when I was in college I took my girlfriend to Shutters for one night of sun and sex, and when we got there we looked out the window and some disgusting woman was taking photographs for what was clearly the beginning of her career in Appreciation.

I love the SB Biltmore. It is a little run down, or was the last time I was there, but I think it remains one of the very special places in CA.

I was at Shutters this weekend.

I will maybe check out the biltmore.

What about Carmel? Is that nice?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The town of Carmel is so awful that it almost ruins what is an absolutely beautiful setting. The Lodge is a little like the BH Hotel or the Biltmore. A CA classic.

If you are willing to go that far, however, the best waterfront hotel in CA, without question, is in Big Sur. That is an hour or so closer to LA.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The town of Carmel is so awful that it almost ruins what is an absolutely beautiful setting. The Lodge is a little like the BH Hotel or the Biltmore. A CA classic.

If you are willing to go that far, however, the best waterfront hotel in CA, without question, is in Big Sur. That is an hour or so closer to LA.

Which is that one, the Post Ranch Inn?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stayed there last weekend. Our room was not particularly special, but the grounds are spectacular. It's a cool place with a bit of an old school vibe.

ctkim

Reaction score

Hey! I grew up 15 minutes from this place too. Rolling Hills!

Terranea is beautiful and has some amazing views of the ocean. With that said, it's not a "beachfront" hotel. There's no easy access to the beach. It has some nice pools though. The restaurants are really great too.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Hey! I grew up 15 minutes from this place too. Rolling Hills!

Terranea is beautiful and has some amazing views of the ocean. With that said, it's not a "beachfront" hotel. There's no easy access to the beach. It has some nice pools though. The restaurants are really great too.

RPV here. The former Rolling Hills High School, class of '86.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LD, good to see you posting again!

The recommendation for the Terranea is a good one. I've stayed there a number of times and will be there again later this month. It's our go-to staycation spot. Good whale watching this time of year too.

CT, you're half-right. There is a technically a beach connected to the property, but it is small and rocky, not sandy, and not particularly pleasant. The adult pool or spa pool is the place to be when you are there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads