• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bbros cotton suits?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what you guys thought of Brooks Bros. cotton suits in stone and khaki. They are on sale now for $198, and for a cotton, summer suit with pretyt limited usage, I think that's a pretty good deal. Obviously you're not getting an Oxxford, but I've tried the B.Bros. suits on and they drape really nicely and look good. A good deal for $198, no?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like a really low price to me. I can't believe they go that low.

So, my feelings are (1) I don't particuarly like khaki suits, but some people can REALLY pull them off, and can look great in them. (2) For $198, that sounds like a pretty good deal assuming you live in a climate where that type of suit is necessary. But, it all depends upon what you normally pay for an all season wool suit, and what you need. If the purchase isn't taking away from your need for a four season lightweight wool suit, then I say go for it, take it home and dress it up with your nicest linen or cotton shirt and a nice pastel or bright tie and some brown dress shoes and see how you look at home (always a better test than the dressing room in my book).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been looking for a cotton blazer and most of them are more than that. I'll have to check this out. Good tip, thanks.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the website actually just started showing a bunch of sales; the store said that the sale wouldn't take effect in the stores until the 9th.

Phil

Reaction score
I had to buy that cotton BB suit for a wedding in which I was the best man (in navy blue). I got the sack suit version (3 button, lapel rolled to the middle one, flat front pants). The suit is made in Turkey, which pretty much says all you need to know about the quality of it. That said, it did fit well, and looked pretty decent, all things considered. Keep in mind, I have no problem with stuff made in Turkey, or elsewhere for that matter (im in the manufacturing biz, and outsource alot of stuff to China), but I have to admit, its a bit disconcerting to see what is an iconic american suit style made in Turkey. But what can you do, thats the way of the world, at least right now. The short of it is for $198 you really cant go wrong.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Just make sure it's the cotton one, and not the poplin where there's a good deal of polyester blended in. You can get mileage out of during the summer and not care if something happens to it.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 The suit is made in Turkey, which pretty much says all you need to know about the quality of it.  That said, it did fit well, and looked pretty decent, all things considered.  
Yeah, I realize that. But I'm looking for a cotton suit to wear on Fridays to the office maybe three times every summer when it's 7,000 degrees out. Very specialized limited use.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm.. All I see is the poplin one with the polyester blend. Is the all cotton suit on the website somewhere?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. All I see is the poplin one with the polyester blend. Is the all cotton suit on the website somewhere?
I was going to pose that question as well. I don't see a 100% cotton suit on there. That being said, polyester is not the four-letter word it used to be. I've seen it used nicely as a blend in certain garments and it's not '70s-leisure suit offensive.

regularjoe

Reaction score
I guess it depends what the blend is. I got a poplin blend that was like close to 40% poly from JosABank years ago and that thing trapped heat like nobody's business.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends what the blend is.  I got a poplin blend that was like close to 40% poly from JosABank years ago and that thing trapped heat like nobody's business.
The poly in these suits is much lower, I think around 15 percent or so, and is there to help the drape and keep it from getting so wrinkled. I've tried these on, and was amazed how nice they looked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads