1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Man In Space, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Battlestar Galactica is The Wire of sci-fi.
    I agree with this. While it might not have been able to keep the amazing intensity of S 1 & 2, S 3-5 were still better than 99% of what was on TV, or still is on TV for that matter.

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Any shows out now or coming soon that might be comparable?

So this is happening.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    So this is happening.

That does look interesting. Hopefully they pull it off.

4. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Caprica died because it was too meandering and never really had a solid direction. I thought it had great potential if it had managed to find its stride. The thing is, BSG was compelling right out of the gate and didn't have to settle into itself, it was at its best at the beginning, which is why it succeeded.

5. Jr Mouse

When it was on TV, I always explained it as the best drama you can watch and it just happens to also be Sci-Fi.

6. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

just saw this thread and thought I'd point out that this is the best television series ever made, hands down. nothing in it's league (a shortlist including only the wire/sopranos, according to metacritic at least) even holds a candle to it.

7. Jr Mouse

just saw this thread and thought I'd point out that this is the best television series ever made, hands down. nothing in it's league (a shortlist including only the wire/sopranos, according to metacritic at least) even holds a candle to it.

Tell that to harvey_birdman. [​IMG]

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Gaius Baltar remains one of television's finest characters.

9. Jr Mouse

My favorite was always Commander William Adama.

10. Nil

Nil Senior member

One of the top 5 sci fi shows easily.

What are the other shows in your top 5? I love scifi novels but I never got into much of it on TV beyond BSG.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

That's DEFINITELY going to need its own thread.

12. Jr Mouse

What are the other shows in your top 5? I love scifi novels but I never got into much of it on TV beyond BSG.
    That's DEFINITELY going to need its own thread.
    Interesting question! It's certainly easier to think of good Sci-Fi movies then TV shows. Rambo is right that it could use it's own thread, but I can toss out a few that come to mind. Fore sure: Firefly Babylon 5 (S2-4) I'm on the fence about this one: Star Trek Star Trek TNG (Bearded Riker years) I'm sure more will come to me later.

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It was like "Lost" in space. All buildup and no payoff. I feel like a chump for watching it.

14. horndog

horndog Senior member

I thought it made a helluva lot more sense and wasn't as nearly contrived as Lost. It teased you here and there and probably left a few things unanswered, but I thought they wrapped it up nicely.

I echo the comment earlier about it being a great military drama that happened to be in space. There's constant anxiety, constant threat, no safe home-base to rest. Honestly, what's real sci-fi about it? They use guns, bullets, phones, paper. There are no aliens.

Speaking of which, the "no safe home-base to rest" is one variable which made FarScape so fun. But that show deserves its own thread, as it is the best sci-fi show ever made. You just need to get past the campy, australian quirks that turn most people off at the start. Once you're into the universe though, you're there for life.

15. Jr Mouse

I really enjoyed the final of LOST and never understood the confusion/dissatisfaction people had over it. Did they tie up all the loose ends? Nope, but I don't think anyone could have realistically expected them to. Show was on for a lot of years and when that happens, plot points can be forgotten or ignored.

EDIT: Just watched the first season of the new version of DR WHO. Only season I have ever seen of any of the incarnations and I think I could easily add it to my list. Great stuff.