• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barefoot running shoes

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think that running 10% of the normal distance and the running only once every other day thing on their website is a bunch of nonsense - seems like they are just saying that to avoid getting sued if someone gets injured from carelessly overdoing it.
For me - the "normal distance" before I got these was zero - since I got them, 3 miles a day, 5 days a week at a fairly slow pace (4.5-5.5mph) First few days felt a little funny, but nothing severe, yesterday I went for a run and not a single moment of foot discomfort. But I may have gotten used to it faster because I run slow, or because I'm actually used to running barefoot - the last time I remember running on a regular basis was in karate years ago - and that was always barefoot - that was like my AHA moment.
I haven't run in my new shoes, yet, but may do so tomorrow morning. Your experience encourages me to get started with them.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say to take it easy the first 2 weeks. I developed plantar fasciitis after overdoing it in a 10k without preparing enough last year, and I'm having some nagging tightness in my achilles on one foot now as I train for a marathon. I ran a half on Saturday though and felt better at the end than I used to feel after running 5 miles with traditional shoes, so I definitely recommend them overall.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the Nike Free Run+ 3 the other week. Done a few runs in them and they feel great. My running is so much more pain free now that I have transitioned from a heel stricker to landing on the front of my feet.

This is too extreme for me, but interesting nonetheless:

Last edited:

bluesdance

Reaction score
I just want to put in a word for actual barefoot running as in: no shoes at all. Of course you need to find the right terrain, I have a very clean and nicely paved jogging trail across the street from my house (Soffer Trail in Aventura, FL) and I go barefoot jogging there once a week or so. It's a great workout, feels very refreshing, and I love the price of the shoes = $0 :)

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else use barefoot running shoes? I picked up a pair of these today - they looked so goofy I was almost embarassed to try them on in a crowded store - but after a run in the gym, I'm a believer. Before I couldn't run more than 10 minutes without sharp pain in my arches - I went to a podiatrist and he told me he was stumped. Today wearing them for the first time I was actually able to run 3.5 miles (I'm not sure I've ever done that before.) :D
m148-hero.jpg

there could have also been a psychological factor in this

I bought a pair of Brooks minimalist shoes today. They have padding at the forefront and felt very comfortable. Looking forward to seeing how they work out for me.

the pureProject shoes or the actual minimalist shoe they came out with? I had the pureProject all green pair and I really liked them. Thinking of buying them again actually.

Forefoot running is very important regardless of what you are wearing.

for those of you who walk in the VFF, I have a new pair but they just sit in the closet not sure how I feel about them yet, do you guys heel strike when you walk or are you on your toes at all times? I heel strike when I walk but when I run in them its forefoot only.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the pureProject shoes or the actual minimalist shoe they came out with? I had the pureProject all green pair and I really liked them. Thinking of buying them again actually.
for those of you who walk in the VFF, I have a new pair but they just sit in the closet not sure how I feel about them yet, do you guys heel strike when you walk or are you on your toes at all times? I heel strike when I walk but when I run in them its forefoot only.
Not sure, I'll have to check when I return home.

As for forefoot walking, when I think about it, I try to do it.

bluesdance

Reaction score
Forefoot walking is something you don't see much discussion of on the interwebs or anywhere else. Personally, I do it when barefoot (actually barefoot = no shoes) but in sandals/sneakers/shoes I heel strike.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

there could have also been a psychological factor in this

Where you land is more or less a function of your stride: the further in front you swing your foot, the more on the heel you land (also: braking effect). Conversely, the shorter your swing, the closer to mid- or fore-foot you become. A mid-foot striker generally lands directly under the body - any further forward and you're hitting heel first unless you plantar-flex (which I consider a bad idea).

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where you land is more or less a function of your stride: the further in front you swing your foot, the more on the heel you land (also: braking effect). Conversely, the shorter your swing, the closer to mid- or fore-foot you become. A mid-foot striker generally lands directly under the body - any further forward and you're hitting heel first unless you plantar-flex (which I consider a bad idea).

I see what you are saying, from what I have been told/read by "experts" you should always try to avoid heel striking, do you agree with this for every type of runner? . I have been told that it causes hip problems and other joint pain. I am sure there were other benefits they mentioned but I do not remember.

So when walking in VFF do you heel strike or continue to land on your fore-foot?

Does anyone have any thoughts on SuperFeet?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I see what you are saying, from what I have been told/read by "experts" you should always try to avoid heel striking, do you agree with this for every type of runner? . I have been told that it causes hip problems and other joint pain. I am sure there were other benefits they mentioned but I do not remember.
So when walking in VFF do you heel strike or continue to land on your fore-foot?
Does anyone have any thoughts on SuperFeet?

I'm reluctant to say that every runner should do XXX because we're all subject to various biomechanical quirks and old injuries that can flare up. That said, heel striking doesn't have much, if anything, going for it other than some people naturally run that way.

Incidentally, one of the debates around running comes in teaching form and gait. Some say that form and gait can be changed and improved, and others say 'we run how we run' (notably, Kenyans which makes the argument rather hard to ignore). In any case, lasting form change takes a while if you go that route, and has been known to sideline a competitive runner as he/she adapts and incurs the possible injuries.

MetManChris

Reaction score
Minimalist shoes are great for you. Of course, be careful as you get started. Some people will have a shorter or longer adjustment period depending on what their feet are used to. If you're used to walking around barefoot and jogging barefoot, minimalist shoes will be a breeze to adjust to. If you're used to running in combat boots, take it very slow. The answer is somewhere in the middle.

Minimalist shoes allow the joints in your feet to articulate and move (the way they're meant to), so they're awesome for your feet. Bear in mind, you're using joints you might not of used much in 10+ years, so be careful.

runweighmodel

Reaction score
Quote:
I have very flat and large feet. Had severe plantar fasciitis, so bad that, for a few years, I had to walk on the outsides of my feet for the first two hours of every day.

Got expensive custom orthotics. Didn't help.

Lost the 60 pounds I'd put on since college track and field. Didn't help.

Went to a different doc, he told me to try SuperFeet Black insoles.
Within 2 weeks, plantar fasciitis was totally gone, and has never returned since. That was about seven years ago.

The SuperFeet Blacks are expensive ($30-35 a pair), but I would pay hundreds for them if I had to. And they make them in my size, which makes me happy. (I'd love to give the Vibrams a spin, but they don't make them big enough.)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
retart question -- also good for walking rather than running?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

retart question -- also good for walking rather than running?
I think so. I walk in mine around the house and when running errands or walking the dog. I love them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads