Barefoot running shoes

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by FidelCashflow, May 5, 2012.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I haven't run in my new shoes, yet, but may do so tomorrow morning. Your experience encourages me to get started with them.

2. js4design

js4design Senior member

I would say to take it easy the first 2 weeks. I developed plantar fasciitis after overdoing it in a 10k without preparing enough last year, and I'm having some nagging tightness in my achilles on one foot now as I train for a marathon. I ran a half on Saturday though and felt better at the end than I used to feel after running 5 miles with traditional shoes, so I definitely recommend them overall.

3. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I picked up the Nike Free Run+ 3 the other week. Done a few runs in them and they feel great. My running is so much more pain free now that I have transitioned from a heel stricker to landing on the front of my feet.

This is too extreme for me, but interesting nonetheless:

Last edited: May 14, 2012

4. bluesdance

bluesdance Well-Known Member

I just want to put in a word for actual barefoot running as in: no shoes at all. Of course you need to find the right terrain, I have a very clean and nicely paved jogging trail across the street from my house (Soffer Trail in Aventura, FL) and I go barefoot jogging there once a week or so. It's a great workout, feels very refreshing, and I love the price of the shoes = $0 :)

5. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

there could have also been a psychological factor in this

the pureProject shoes or the actual minimalist shoe they came out with? I had the pureProject all green pair and I really liked them. Thinking of buying them again actually.

Forefoot running is very important regardless of what you are wearing.

for those of you who walk in the VFF, I have a new pair but they just sit in the closet not sure how I feel about them yet, do you guys heel strike when you walk or are you on your toes at all times? I heel strike when I walk but when I run in them its forefoot only.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Not sure, I'll have to check when I return home.

As for forefoot walking, when I think about it, I try to do it.

7. bluesdance

bluesdance Well-Known Member

Forefoot walking is something you don't see much discussion of on the interwebs or anywhere else. Personally, I do it when barefoot (actually barefoot = no shoes) but in sandals/sneakers/shoes I heel strike.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Where you land is more or less a function of your stride: the further in front you swing your foot, the more on the heel you land (also: braking effect). Conversely, the shorter your swing, the closer to mid- or fore-foot you become. A mid-foot striker generally lands directly under the body - any further forward and you're hitting heel first unless you plantar-flex (which I consider a bad idea).

Last edited: May 17, 2012

9. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I see what you are saying, from what I have been told/read by "experts" you should always try to avoid heel striking, do you agree with this for every type of runner? . I have been told that it causes hip problems and other joint pain. I am sure there were other benefits they mentioned but I do not remember.

So when walking in VFF do you heel strike or continue to land on your fore-foot?

Does anyone have any thoughts on SuperFeet?

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm reluctant to say that every runner should do XXX because we're all subject to various biomechanical quirks and old injuries that can flare up. That said, heel striking doesn't have much, if anything, going for it other than some people naturally run that way.

Incidentally, one of the debates around running comes in teaching form and gait. Some say that form and gait can be changed and improved, and others say 'we run how we run' (notably, Kenyans which makes the argument rather hard to ignore). In any case, lasting form change takes a while if you go that route, and has been known to sideline a competitive runner as he/she adapts and incurs the possible injuries.

11. pascal

pascal Member

i like merrell trail gloves for running

12. MetManChris

MetManChris Well-Known Member

Minimalist shoes are great for you. Of course, be careful as you get started. Some people will have a shorter or longer adjustment period depending on what their feet are used to. If you're used to walking around barefoot and jogging barefoot, minimalist shoes will be a breeze to adjust to. If you're used to running in combat boots, take it very slow. The answer is somewhere in the middle.

Minimalist shoes allow the joints in your feet to articulate and move (the way they're meant to), so they're awesome for your feet. Bear in mind, you're using joints you might not of used much in 10+ years, so be careful.

13. runweighmodel

runweighmodel Member

Quote: I have very flat and large feet. Had severe plantar fasciitis, so bad that, for a few years, I had to walk on the outsides of my feet for the first two hours of every day.

Got expensive custom orthotics. Didn't help.

Lost the 60 pounds I'd put on since college track and field. Didn't help.

Went to a different doc, he told me to try SuperFeet Black insoles.
    Within 2 weeks, plantar fasciitis was totally gone, and has never returned since. That was about seven years ago.

The SuperFeet Blacks are expensive ($30-35 a pair), but I would pay hundreds for them if I had to. And they make them in my size, which makes me happy. (I'd love to give the Vibrams a spin, but they don't make them big enough.)

14. eg1

eg1 Senior member

retart question -- also good for walking rather than running?

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I think so. I walk in mine around the house and when running errands or walking the dog. I love them.