• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviators - but not sure about brand

jimbo123

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I mainly signed up to this forum to ask this question. But it seems like a pretty good place to get overall fashion advice so I'll probably stick around longer and see what else I can learn/offer.

So... I want to get some (polarized) aviators but I'm not sure which brand to go for. The first brand which was recommended to me was Ray-Bans but I really don't like the logo they have on the lens. Having a look at past threads I also get the impression that Ray-Bans aren't as good quality as other brands? As far as I know Persol or Oakley don't do aviator styles that I want.

So to sum up:

1. I want aviators that have this exact type of shape (I hate variations)

2. Without a logo on the lens

3. With a very good quality, good for the eyes, polarized lense.

Anyone know any good brands?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want the 'real' aviators, check out Randolph Engineering. The Concorde has the same shape sans logo.

jimbo123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
If you want the 'real' aviators, check out Randolph Engineering. The Concorde has the same shape sans logo.
Nice I'll give their range a look if I find it next time I go shopping.

Anyone got any other ideas? I'm not against the idea of buying online but I would like to try them on first in the shops - and I mostly go shopping in London.

zyg0te

Reaction score
Personally I'm looking at the kaenon basis (i know, not really aviators) and some mosley tribes frames.

Mosley tribes look great, however they don't come polarized, most (if not all) of the time its gradient tint.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can remove the logo - I have with all my RBs.

Also, the Randolph E are the original & only glasses certified for flying by the USAF - RayBans got their boost from Top Gun.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Randolph E don't have as many colors as the Ray Bans. I really like the silver frames, but I may go for the OG gold ones with the grey lenses. The knock off pair I have now are probably similar to the Crew Chief, maybe I'll get a pair of Concordes with the tan lenses. http://www.randolphusa.com/c-2-aviation.aspx

kcc

Reaction score
Have you tried Revo?

UTVol085

Reaction score
Unless you insist on having polarizedthe best Aviator sunglasse are the Ray-Ban Ambermatic and the Ray-Ban Photogrey lenses. I have a pair of Ambermatics from the 1970's and they're the best lenses ever made, imo. I also have a pair of Ray-Bans from 1973 with rose colored lenses that turn dark grey in the sun but they're extremely rare, given to my by an old optician, and a tad too pink.

All three can be worn day and night, changing color depending on the temperature and lighting conditions. With the cable (hook style) temples they're more comfortable and almost impossible to knock off. The only downside is the cost, due to collectors driving up prices. Was lucky enough to bet mine for $60 off eBay. You're also unlikely to see anyone else wearing them.

Ray-Ban got their boost from WWII US fighter pilots...they were around and very popular for a long time before Top Gun.

Anyways if you're looking for cool Aviators go vintage. Ray-bans before 1980 have no logo on the lenses. Make sure not to get any made in Italy by Luxottica, as the US-made B&Ls are of better quality.
dd68_1.JPG

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UTVol085
Unless you insist on having polarizedthe best Aviator sunglasse are the Ray-Ban Ambermatic and the Ray-Ban Photogrey lenses. I have a pair of Ambermatics from the 1970's and they're the best lenses ever made, imo. I also have a pair of Ray-Bans from 1973 with rose colored lenses that turn dark grey in the sun but they're extremely rare, given to my by an old optician, and a tad too pink. All three can be worn day and night, changing color depending on the temperature and lighting conditions. With the cable (hook style) temples they're more comfortable and almost impossible to knock off. The only downside is the cost, due to collectors driving up prices. Was lucky enough to bet mine for $60 off eBay. You're also unlikely to see anyone else wearing them. Ray-Ban got their boost from WWII US fighter pilots...they were around and very popular for a long time before Top Gun. Anyways if you're looking for cool Aviators go vintage. Ray-bans before 1980 have no logo on the lenses. Make sure not to get any made in Italy by Luxottica, as the US-made B&Ls are of better quality.
dd68_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-B-L-RAY-...QQcmdZViewItem Good info and quite pricey. I am seeing a lot of 62mm on ebay, I think I need the 58mm. I like the idea of the cable ones, though Randolph Engineering only has cable models available in the aviators and I'm thinking about getting the Concordes since they are only $71 and look similar, though not *quite* as cool, but still pretty cool since they are the official ones.
410.jpg
http://randolphusa.com/pc-42-2-concorde.aspx Notice Randolph also has the logo, but I'm sure a shop could take it off for you.

UTVol085

Reaction score
Randolphs are really cool and priced better since they aren't as heavily marketed. They have a really nice lense; high contrast tan would be similar to the color of Ambers in cold sun.

Try looking around at older, established opticians. Sometimes they have a lot of great parts of glasses (extra pairs of lenses, etc) that were sold years ago. NOS cable temples can be found quite easily. That's the good thing about the model staying the same for 50 years. The sweat guard is also cool, although without it less "old".

BL didnt let the patent for "Changeable" lenses go to the new owner. They came in many colors: ambermatic and photo -green, -grey, and -brown. Blue and pink were the first 2 "test" colors. Only glass transitioning lenses ever.The early 70s...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UTVol085
Randolphs are really cool and priced better since they aren't as heavily marketed. They have a really nice lense; high contrast tan would be similar to the color of Ambers in cold sun.

Try looking around at older, established opticians. Sometimes they have a lot of great parts of glasses (extra pairs of lenses, etc) that were sold years ago. NOS cable temples can be found quite easily. That's the good thing about the model staying the same for 50 years. The sweat guard is also cool, although without it less "old".

BL didnt let the patent for "Changeable" lenses go to the new owner. They came in many colors: ambermatic and photo -green, -grey, and -brown. Blue and pink were the first 2 "test" colors. Only glass transitioning lenses ever.The early 70s...

What is NOS? I'm sure I could get my optical shop friend to put whatever lenses I wanted in there. But for $75 for the Randolphs I get made in the USA, don't have to wait and it will be cheaper.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Randolphs and ended up sending them back because they just didn't fit (oddly, the ear thingies didn't extend back far enough on my head -- never had that problem with glasses before).

In any case, the Randolphs were old school. Made to last. Seriously the heaviest and sturdiest sunglasses I've ever seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads