• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Just buckled under the pressure and picked up a pair of C&J Islay's in dark brown from AT...

Last edited:

mjba

Reaction score
The RL flagship store in Collins Street (Melb) certainly has some Purple Label apparel. Department store outlets seem more focused on their casual/preppy stuff.
sorry, i should have been more specific: in Sydney?

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score

Trying to talk to school girls again I see.

Wrong. You're talking about a dandy foxy coxy foxy. The school girls are talking to him

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something I never understand on Reddit is Americans buying goodyear welted shoes online.

Here, I can understand as there are really no options for bricks and mortar (recently changing with Double Monk and Kazuna).

But when you have AE and Alden at your doorstep? Why order Meermins, Carminas etc and take such a gamble on the fit?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you threaten to withdraw his classical concert privileges?

Not as yet, but that's one to remember for the future!

Thankfully, he's largely avoided catching the "like" plague, which afflicts many people nowadays.

Kudos to all the Brisbane SF forumites who managed to put on the last get-together. Was in SG at the time, but I'm damn saddened I missed it.

As @lukejackson mentioned, it was just the two of us, but it was great to catch up, put a face to the name, and hear about his adventures in Jordan. We'll have to plan a larger gathering soon.

Oroton has ditched Brooks Brothers who will now go it alone in Aust.

Interesting. Given the considerably investment that BB/Oroton have made already, let's hope that they maintain their presence *and* expand the size and quality of their range.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something I never understand on Reddit is Americans buying goodyear welted shoes online.

Here, I can understand as there are really no options for bricks and mortar (recently changing with Double Monk and Kazuna).

But when you have AE and Alden at your doorstep? Why order Meermins, Carminas etc and take such a gamble on the fit?

Oli, you're certainly correct about people gambling on the fit if they're buying online and haven't had the opportunity to try the shoes on in person.

However, with respect, you're making a mistake comparing AE and Alden to Meermin and Carmina, as they are, in general, very different styles of shoes. AE and Alden typically make round-toed shoes that look serviceable but which don't, by and large, look very elegant. They suit a certain aesthetic style, but that style doesn't appeal to everyone. Meermin and Carmina do offer a couple of soft, round-toed styles but they also offer quite a few more elegant options in narrower lasts with soft-square, chisel and almond-toe styles.

Also, I don't know about Meermin but Carmina's shoes have closed-channel soles, whereas AE doesn't and I don't think that Alden does, either.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I saw that. He also posted a comment over on the Ambrosi thread here on SF.

I'm very glad that the trousers finally arrived, and that Andrew's very happy with them.

It's good to see that Andrew mentioned his experience with Ambrosi, as well as the trousers, because a lot of bloggers do tend to skip over the less pleasant aspects of a transaction and only mention the positive points or, at the very least, downplay the negatives.

Personally, whilst I'm sure that they're lovely trousers, they're not for me. I really can't imagine paying $1300 for a pair of trousers and then having to wait eleven months for them to be delivered - especially when I'd been told that they'd be ready in one months' time and then I'd either been ignored or fobbed off repeatedly over the following ten months. Frankly, when paying $1300 for a pair of trousers, surely it's reasonable to expect that one would receive service that is far better than usual, rather than considerably worse than usual?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads