• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents what do you use as your daily briefcase/bags ? For me it started with a messenger bag , then few bags here and there. These are on my rotation
1f60e.png
SAB too grand at times, Filson 256 is easy, 257 a bit too bulky, BB black fleece is a bit too casual, dark brown Coach is a bit too small. Mulberry is quite good.
I predominately use my TOJ Suede Daypack. I generally jet set around in boots, jeans, OCBD and my Barbour or TOJ varsity, so it goes well there. On the odd occasion I'm wearing something more formal, I'll use a tan Filson 256. I also use a tan Filson medium duffel for traveling.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who attended and contributed to the Wear For Success Sale on Friday and Saturday.

The money raised goes toward paying our rent, keeping the lights on and the doors open to assist long term unemployed (refugees, new arrivals, disabled, disadvantaged) look good/appropriate in job interviews.

Make sure you sign up for the mailing list for the next sale.

A reminder:

The SBS Insight Program on Homelessness which was filmed a couple of weeks ago will be shown tomorrow night - I think- Its a bit hard to tell from SBS website - it isn't as clear as It could be, Tune in and see how well we went dressing our couple.

It will probably be on SBS On Demand for a few weeks afterwards.

Thanks again

www.wearforsucess.org.au

We will soon be changing the look and feel (and improving content) of our website. And sprucing up our facebook, twitter etc

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents what do you use as your daily briefcase/bags ? For me it started with a messenger bag , then few bags here and there. These are on my rotation
1f60e.png
SAB too grand at times, Filson 256 is easy, 257 a bit too bulky, BB black fleece is a bit too casual, dark brown Coach is a bit too small. Mulberry is quite good.

Started off with a brown Filson 256 and moved on to the La Portegna Fat Carter briefcase which will serve me well for years to come. The Filson has been repurposed to store my camera equipment.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Started off with a brown Filson 256 and moved on to the La Portegna Fat Carter briefcase which will serve me well for years to come. The Filson has been repurposed to store my camera equipment.
It's a nice looking bag. I will definitely add a top handle leather briefcase on my rotation - most convenient bag for commuting.

RGLZ

Reaction score

Quote:
awesome! Thanks for the link! btw, how did U get the 25% discount code? cheers
They emailed a code when I registered. Try PATRONPRE. Saved over 90pound and at least $150 from Double Monk.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When not cycling to work I use a Filson in Otter Green (same model as Foxy and Gazza) and most recent the Monocle x Porter Tote which I really like.

When travelling large Filson duffle in tan, with Filson Dopp Kit in Navy. Might get an Porter bag down the line.

As you can tell I prefer the more casual bag but do always look at Nice Guy Nelsons briefcase with envy.

Monocle x Porter Sub Club Tote

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Currently using an old duffle bag my parents got me when I started working. Need a new one though, the fake leather has peeled. Thinking of a filson but the exchange rate doesn't make the bag worth the while.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Currently using an old duffle bag my parents got me when I started working. Need a new one though, the fake leather has peeled. Thinking of a filson but the exchange rate doesn't make the bag worth the while.

Look up filsonsale and sign up to their emails. They send you all the deals. Patience will be rewarded.

Arch3r

Reaction score

Ok so in reply to this, I would not go to either of those stores, nor would even consider any of those online retailers.

If you are after affordable MTM in Australia I would choose between Oscar Hunt, SuitShop, Herman Brothers or Deerstyle. The others do not come close to these in terms of quality, fitting expertise or styling.

You may still be happy with the outcome and your mates may have been happy with theirs, but you won't find people on this forum recommending many other places due to the reasons I've mentioned. Indeed I would recommend off the rack suiting before those operators as at least you can have confidence about the quality of the product and the way it will fit.

I have to agree with this. When I first started to look at suits seriously I looked at institchu, hiras, Montagio and germanicos. They're all rubbish especially once you work out its going to cost you about $900 for a suit in a decent fabric. You might as well go for something tried and tested - SuitShop, Oscar Hunt etc.

Also FWIW Geoffrey Edelstens has his suits made by Germanicos. This is a pretty solid reason not to go down this route!

The blog article mentioned earlier while old still applies almost verbatim to the current offerings. I would not blink in following it's advice.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally feel that filson products are worth the price you pay, and when compared to other makers isn't all that expensive. Grailed is also another good place to look. I scores my medium duffel for $220 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads