• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromeo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice getting some new suits in the coming months - just graduating from uni and starting work (moving from Perth to Melbourne - so looking forward to some better suiting options). Been browsing around these forums and hopefully got some idea of what's on the market ...

Current wardrobe is not great, all fused still and not perfectly fitted - I tend to be a bit out of proportion for RTW suits, which is a bit of a problem. I'm 168cm, 70kg, bodybuilder physique, extreme waist drop.

So far got a Charcoal Studio Italia (First suit and cheap!), a Brown Sticchi Uomo and a Navy herringbone (although it's starting to bubble) and Mostly TM Lewin shirts - which I quite like, fit is pretty good, although could use a bit of taking in around the waist for me.

My main problem is I tend to be a bit too wide and arms a bit too big to fit into most RTW suits. My current suits now are definitely a bit tight around the shoulders/arms/lats - not totally unacceptable, and not terribly uncomfortable, but I know it could be better.

I'm looking to get a nice collection of 3 more suits before starting work in February in Melbourne (and hopefully phase most of my present wardrobe out ..)
I've still not got the biggest budget, but I'm hoping to take a step up in quality/fit this time around. Considering going down the offshore MTM route. I'd ideally like something at least half canvassed, but budget is <$1000 per suit - less is better if at all possible! Not ideal, but fused is not a big deal to me - I'm no suit connoisseur (Maybe in a few years when I can afford it!)
I know alot of you would recommend sticking to quality RTW at my price level - and I'm still tossing up between the options - but I've yet to find a RTW suit that fits my build!

So far I've been considering these MTM Options:
George and King - Half Canvassed Suits $600-700
Suitshop.com.au - from $750.00 - seen some decent reviews for these guys on these forums?
MJ Bale MTM Service - From $995.00

Also planning to pop into some stores and browse .. maybe will find something I can fit into!
Always been a fan of MJ Bale (2 for $1000 or $1500)
Rhodes & Beckett - Currently having some great sales with a few <$500 each
TM Lewin Suits

Would appreciate any thoughts/opinions :)

Last edited:

Spandexter

Reaction score
Based on the description of your physique I'd probably just go with mtm via suit shop or Oscar hunt. Both know what they are doing and both produce a quality product. Price will end up being around the $900 mark but we'll worth it IMO.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Another day, another 'should I get Suitshop/OH/MJ etc...' post.

Can't we have one standard reply for this that we can churn out as a default? Pro's and con's of each or something?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to our wiki?

And I'm looking for any places in melbourne that stock cheap shoe laces in non standard colours ie not black, white and brown.

Looking for both flat and round waxed laces.

Last edited:

Thanasi

Reaction score
(1) Navy blazer - B grade fabric, half lined, half canvassed, MOP buttons $625

(2) Light grey odd jacket - B grade fabric (linen/wool blend), fully lined, half canvassed, MOP buttons $675
Very differently. Closer, less boxy fit.

What type of pockets did you get?

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
(1) Navy blazer - B grade fabric, half lined, half canvassed, MOP buttons $625

(2) Light grey odd jacket - B grade fabric (linen/wool blend), fully lined, half canvassed, MOP buttons $675
Very differently. Closer, less boxy fit.
Oli puhlease post pics

genes888

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I've actually read that before & it gives some good insight into suiting choices here in Oz.

However, its a bit dated now and needs updates to include new suppliers. Especially custom tailors and Oz based online retailers.

Hence why I asked about feedback from guys who have bought from Suitshop, Institchu or Montagio in Sydney.

Thanks again in advance for any feedback!

genes888

Reaction score
^ Double monk are opening a store in Sydney soon. Not sure exactly when though.

Thanks for that! Hopefully soon and somewhere in the conservative business dress!

Tried to call them to ask, but they're closed on Mondays!
confused.gif

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I've actually read that before & it gives some good insight into suiting choices here in Oz.

However, its a bit dated now and needs updates to include new suppliers. Especially custom tailors and Oz based online retailers.

Hence why I asked about feedback from guys who have bought from Suitshop, Institchu or Montagio in Sydney.

Thanks again in advance for any feedback!
Agreed it's a bit dated but pretty sure it says to ignore most guys like institchu. It's simply not the same quality product, same experience level of fitting, same classic fit/styling that appeals to most on SF as PJ/SS/OH. There is a reason I have never seen someone post on this forum a suit from Institchu. A quick look at "Montagio's" website confirms the same.

And who are the Oz based online retailers?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed et al trunkshow is a go.

I'm helping to put together a guest list.

Their new website is also up if you want to peep their new RTW collection, their lasts, and leathers -- http://edetal.sg/
They'll be taking bespoke and MTO orders. Their RTW collection will also be available.

As part of the trunk show, they're running this promotion/discount: 20% off 1 pair, 25% off 2 pairs and 30% off 3 pairs and beyond in a single receipt.

Every MTO order will come with a free custom belt.

PM me if you're keen and/or need more details!

genes888

Reaction score
Agreed it's a bit dated but pretty sure it says to ignore most guys like institchu. It's simply not the same quality product, same experience level of fitting, same classic fit/styling that appeals to most on SF as PJ/SS/OH. There is a reason I have never seen someone post on this forum a suit from Institchu. A quick look at "Montagio's" website confirms the same.

And who are the Oz based online retailers?

thanks for the reply! Ok, I see where you are coming from.

I actually had a 'having a look' appointment with both Institchu & Montagio recently to determine what they had to offer and pricing. I chose them based on Google feedback ratings & referrals from some mates.
Both stores are quite similar in what they offer and also in pricing.
I looked at an italian wool super 130s houndstooth pattern suit with working buttons, stitching and customised jacket lining. Got quoted around the $900 - $1100 mark for a 2-piece custom tailored suit.

Am still deciding which store to go for. Would love some feedback on Aus-based SF members who have purchased from them before.

regarding online retailers in Oz, there are heaps! haha....
The most popular ones seem to be George & King, thesuitfactory, Chokman, suitmeup, tailorsmark & Germanicos.
not sure who is good, they all seem to mostly do made-to-measure with some offering on-site visits.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads