• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanohare

Reaction score

I must admit that I don't know how conveniently (or inconveniently) it is located, but you could always head out to "Shop The Finest". Apparently, Jeff has an absolutely massive amount of stuff, far more than he lists on the StF website or eBay and people have picked up some fantastic bargains.

Awesome, thanks I'll check it out. I've got wheels so can look it up.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry - it's Ian Daniels at Shop the Finest - I was getting confused with Jeff Daniels, the actor.

I think that he's previously mentioned that you should call him first to make an appointment before heading out there:

http://www.shopthefinest.com/t-contact.aspx

There are a few threads on SF about visiting the StF warehouse and how there's a lot - a lot - more stock at the warehouse than is listed on the StF website. Here's an example:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/102089/shop-the-finest

ozloupgarou

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Anyone know a good place to have a IWC Mark XV serviced in Sydney? Its been going great for a very long time but alas it needs some love.....
LG
PS Would like to avoid Richemont if possible.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys
Anyone know a good place to have a IWC Mark XV serviced in Sydney? Its been going great for a very long time but alas it needs some love.....
LG
PS Would like to avoid Richemont if possible.
tried Fredman?

ozloupgarou

Reaction score
Might do. Have had a good experience with them a while back but have since changed owners . Will give them a call anyway to see if they can help out .. Thank You Mr Romp and please keep up the excellent Blog!

Gilmour

Reaction score
I have a pair of Cordovan boots on their way bought from an SF member he was going to ship a Deer bone with but was advised against it as Australian law or customs wont allow bones to be imported into Australia ( I have no idea if this is true )

Anyway in the absence of a Deer bone is there somewhere in Australia to get a Deer bone or has any one a suggestion what to use in its place, a Roo bone perhaps ?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that, whilst some people swear by deer bones for helping to polish shell cordovan, other people say that it's fine to just give the shoes a good brushing 99% of the time, and if there are some scratches that you want to get out, then you can just use the back of a spoon instead of a deer bone.

Others with more experience with shell cordovan may chime in.

iSurg

Reaction score
Is there a similar place in Melb? Not as fortunate to have a XV but have had my XVI for 5 years...

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Cordovan boots on their way bought from an SF member he was going to ship a Deer bone with but was advised against it as Australian law or customs wont allow bones to be imported into Australia ( I have no idea if this is true )

Anyway in the absence of a Deer bone is there somewhere in Australia to get a Deer bone or has any one a suggestion what to use in its place, a Roo bone perhaps ?

I'd be surprised if Double Monk didn't sell them, but I wouldn't bother. Just use anything with a smooth, rigid surface, and it'll have the same effect (people commonly use the back of a teaspoon.).

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if Double Monk didn't sell them, but I wouldn't bother. Just use anything with a smooth, rigid surface, and it'll have the same effect (people commonly use the back of a teaspoon.).

What he said.

Also, get a stiff horsehair brush together with an old nylon stocking and then:
  1. Wipe down the shoes with a slightly damp (not wet cloth)
  2. Brush each shoe rapidly all over for a couple of minutes (they'll get a lustre at this point)
  3. Buff with the nylon stocking for the final shine

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double Monk sell them for $35. If they where more expensive than that I would have used a deer bone but for that price I didn't see a problem with it. I need to polish up all my shoes when I get home.

Arch3r

Reaction score
Been looking for an overcoat like the below for a while and pretty bummed I miss this at suit supply.

Any thoughts on where i can find similar? I'd prefer to keep it under 1k. Will be in Italy at the end of the year, maybe I should wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads