• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean no disrespect and no snarky/sarcastic intention, but I cannot be too optimistic about Australia's future when sports take up such a disproportionate amount of the national psyche. It is like we have nothing much as a nation to rally around other than sporting achievements. On a practical scale, this means a disproportionate amount of funding and resources going into creating athletes, when we should be directing resources at creating engineers, scientists, etc. 

Agree with you that we should be spending more education wise on what matters in terms of social advancement. But sport like it or loathe it not only provides intangible personal and cultural benifits to society but also solid economic ones.

Sadly so much of 21 century Australia is defined by myths from the 19 Century. Bean's formulation of ANZAC being the most dominant.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a practical scale, this means a disproportionate amount of funding and resources going into creating athletes, when we should be directing resources at creating engineers, scientists, etc. 

Pete, it should not be either/or.

Sport plays an important role in our economy and is an incredibly positive force in the community, particularly at junior levels. Australians love participating and competing.

What is happening to the scientific community at the moment is a disgrace.

We should never let politicians wedge us into believing that the choices are so binary.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It did sound like a very nice funeral, insofar as any funeral can be nice.
However, I have been astonished by the sheer amount of media coverage that Phil Hughes and his life have received over the past couple of weeks. Yes, he was a good cricketer and by all accounts he was a lovely person. Yes, he was too young and it was a tragedy, particularly for his family.
At the risk of sounding grumpy, or like Oli - and maybe I'll be excoriated for saying this - he was just a cricketer. It's not as though he saved lives, changed the world or anything like that. Did we really need to have Phil Hughes headlining the newspapers every day? Did his funeral need to be televised and shown on large outdoor screens (such as happened here in Brisbane, in King George Square)?
Furthermore, I found it quite appallingly hypocritical of the media (media hypocrisy - how surprising!) to focus so obsessively upon Phil Hughes and his untimely, accidental death, and then at the same time to talk of how everyone was "so supportive" of the man who bowled the ball, Sean Abbott. At the risk of putting words into Abbott's mouth, I'm sure that he would have felt a lot less stress and pressure, and he would have felt a lot more supported, if the media had stopped obsessively broadcasting or printing articles about Phil Hughes and his untimely death as the result of a ball bowled by Abbott.
I roughly agree. I might point out that no one in this house had heard of this bloke was until it was allover the news. The assumption that these sports workers are household names is wrong headed but ultimately in Australia its self fulfilling as so much of media is devoted to sport. Its certainly impact-full that it happened in public under the gaze of media and TV cameras and no doubt thats a contributer. Hopefully it might remind some people that there a many young lives taken by disease and car crashes and that each is devastating to family and loved ones. Very few of them getting such widespread public support to get through. When my son was a teenager he had 2 friends murdered in separate incidents a year apart. Other friends have had their children/young adults die. Sometimes the media hoohah is almost insulting.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JMThere is no such thing in this country as just a cricketer. Sport is part of the national psyche....

I mean no disrespect and no snarky/sarcastic intention, but I cannot be too optimistic about Australia's future when sports take up such a disproportionate amount of the national psyche. It is like we have nothing much as a nation to rally around other than sporting achievements. On a practical scale, this means a disproportionate amount of funding and resources going into creating athletes, when we should be directing resources at creating engineers, scientists, etc. 
Careful. You could turn into someone like me. Only with longer rants.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Careful. You could turn into someone like me. Only with longer rants.

Somehow I don't think that is humanly possible.

El Rob

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the place to post this but anyway:
Can anyone recommend someone close to Newtown, Sydney for a haircut?
My previous guy has moved to Victoria.

thanks

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about sport, does anyone have the Epaulet trainers?

No, but I've heard that they're well-made and that sizing is comparable with Converse All-Stars, for what it's worth.

I've paid a deposit on two pairs of the SF x Epaulet shell cordovan sneaker collaboration.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SO I bought 3 shirts from Luxire a month ago.

I email today to see if they'll be ready before I move, since like if they aren't obviously I use a different address.

THey email me back: "The shirt you want reproduced has not arrived."

So, somewhere in the aether is my nicest shirt, anyone have any idea how to go about this? I was planning on talking to Auspost, and I can probably use e-banking to get the receipt #, but in terms of tracking, I didn't have any (AFAIK) and the receipt is God only knows where.

I don't think I'll bother with Luxire again. The first item didn't fit right, neither did the second, and now this. Every time I've felt stupid for trying to save some money: local M2M is just so much more reliable. I'm sure people who are super accurate with measurements and understand these processes do fine - I just want a ******* shirt that fits.

Last edited:

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SO I bought 3 shirts from Luxire a month ago.

I email today to see if they'll be ready before I move, since like if they aren't obviously I use a different address.

THey email me back: "The shirt you want reproduced has not arrived."

So, somewhere in the aether is my nicest shirt, anyone have any idea how to go about this? I was planning on talking to Auspost, and I can probably use e-banking to get the receipt #, but in terms of tracking, I didn't have any (AFAIK) and the receipt is God only knows where.

I don't think I'll bother with Luxire again. The first item didn't fit right, neither did the second, and now this. Every time I've felt stupid for trying to save some money: local M2M is just so much more reliable. I'm sure people who are super accurate with measurements and understand these processes do fine - I just want a ******* shirt that fits.

FWIW, Luxire started offering this service quite some time ago, I had mine picked up from the office from DHL, arrived with Luxire 3 days later.

http://custom.luxire.com/products/prepay-for-shipping-an-item-to-us

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My early Christmas/ late birthday present .
It's a mini herringbone navy fabric. Looks solid navy unless looking very closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads