• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiva

Reaction score
I assumed "conservative" was a reference to the subjects of the painting rather than its school/style.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Here's my outfit pic of the week. I went with 2 shades of blue which I think looks awesome. A navy jacket and lighter blue trousers. The trousers are tad long but meh.

Jacket - Uniqlo
Shirt - MJ Bale
Tie - TM Lewin
Pocket square- Kent Wang
Pants- MJ Bale
Shoes - meermin

boff

Reaction score
I like all this watch talk. When I decided to start wearing a watch again last year I knew exactly what I wanted. When I was 18 and leaving the family nest for an 8 month trip in South America my dad took me out for lunch. Towards the end he was shocked to see I wasn't wearing a watch (how would I catch my plane on time?). He handed over his 60's vintage Omega Seamaster and told me he'd like it back in one piece. A few months later it was in about 30 pieces on the lap of a street watch repairer in Quito (rain forest humidity knackered it). Amazingly it's still going 20 years later.

Being the cheap c*nt that I am, I started my search on ebay and quickly found a world of scammers and 'frankenwatches' (google it). If anyone is going to go down this route, get friendly with the good folks on one of the many watch forums. The guys on http://omegaforums.net/forums/vintage-omega-watch-topics.23/ were brilliant. They guided me and when I found a 1967 Seamaster with a 565 movement and very detailed photos they were confident it was authentic. It was from Mexico and I paid $275. I had it shipped to Rob Schurmann in New York who is a brilliant horologist/watch repair guy. He sourced an original calendar dial and serviced the watch and shipped it to me for $200 (In Sydney I was quoted close to a grand for the same job). So far it's worked perfectly, loses about a minute a week.

My 2c on movements - Gotta be spring powered not battery powered (or chrono not quartz). We all carry around a battery powered phone/clock/laptop/whatever that keeps decent time. A mechanical movement may be anachronistic, but in a way, no more so than many if not most of what makes up today's dress code (e.g. ties, lapels etc...). For me it's the notion that, given the available technologies, a mechanical movement is just about the worst way to keep accurate time that makes it so perfect.
This from wikipedia;
Compared to electronic movements, mechanical watches are less accurate, often with errors of seconds per day, and they are sensitive to position, temperature[9] and magnetism.[10] They are also costly to produce, require regular maintenance and adjustment, and are more prone to failure.

My watch

wishiwasricher

Reaction score

The only thing i like more than watches is shoes. But my grail watch for a long time was a Tag hueur Monaco but i went off them. I ended up getting a Breitling Navitimer 01- and love it. I must admit i am nervous wearing it to some degree but im sure in 20 years time it will be still ticking.

Superfudge

Reaction score
Also to the guy that said he has a JLC Ultra Thin but isn't a watch guy - you are most definitely a watch guy, embrace it!! And I don't mean a watch guy In a snobby way, I'm just not sure there are many people rocking a JLC that don't take a keen interest in all things horological.

I guess you could make the argument that no one who's not into watches would shell out for a JLC. The way I see it, while I'm not into watches, but I am into this particular watch. After looking around for about a year, I struggled to find any other watch that matched the JLC in the aesthetic I was after; discrete, tasteful and elegant.

The ultra thin is all of these things, right down to the tiniest details like the slight curve of the lugs and the font used for the numerals, all in a package barely thicker than 3mm. To me, it's the watch equivalent of the Seagram Building. I like to think Mies would really like this watch (Mies also doesn't seem to have been a watch guy either; I've never seen any photos of him with a watch).

Having said that, I feel no need to get another dress watch, it hasn't sparked a desire in me to get another watch, other than a beater to wear on wekends. I can really only fund that level of extravagance once. I also don't really consider my watch to be a significant part of my outfit. It's slim enough to fit comfortably under the cuff, at which point it disappears and I never think about it beyond wanting to know the time.

Shoes, on the other hand...

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
I like all this watch talk. When I decided to start wearing a watch again last year I knew exactly what I wanted. When I was 18 and leaving the family nest for an 8 month trip in South America my dad took me out for lunch. Towards the end he was shocked to see I wasn't wearing a watch (how would I catch my plane on time?). He handed over his 60's vintage Omega Seamaster and told me he'd like it back in one piece. A few months later it was in about 30 pieces on the lap of a street watch repairer in Quito (rain forest humidity knackered it). Amazingly it's still going 20 years later.

Being the cheap c*nt that I am, I started my search on ebay and quickly found a world of scammers and 'frankenwatches' (google it). If anyone is going to go down this route, get friendly with the good folks on one of the many watch forums. The guys on http://omegaforums.net/forums/vintage-omega-watch-topics.23/ were brilliant. They guided me and when I found a 1967 Seamaster with a 565 movement and very detailed photos they were confident it was authentic. It was from Mexico and I paid $275. I had it shipped to Rob Schurmann in New York who is a brilliant horologist/watch repair guy. He sourced an original calendar dial and serviced the watch and shipped it to me for $200 (In Sydney I was quoted close to a grand for the same job). So far it's worked perfectly, loses about a minute a week.

My 2c on movements - Gotta be spring powered not battery powered (or chrono not quartz). We all carry around a battery powered phone/clock/laptop/whatever that keeps decent time. A mechanical movement may be anachronistic, but in a way, no more so than many if not most of what makes up today's dress code (e.g. ties, lapels etc...). For me it's the notion that, given the available technologies, a mechanical movement is just about the worst way to keep accurate time that makes it so perfect.

Cool story! Half way through reading it I thought it was going to end badly - you're right, if one finds themselves in a situation such as yours, watch forums are the go to. Can't get over how far your watch's journey has come though

Onto movements - my thought is this - mechanical watches are (as per wikipedia) inferior to electronic movements in many ways. But, consider their accuracy - yours you say loses a minute a week, which gives it a 99.99% accuracy rate (1/10080 mins a week). Can you seriously think of anything else man made at that accuracy? I think not... And so, when I look at my watch, I see a level of accuracy that I should try to strive for in my work / life. I am of course, pretty close. No I'm not actually. My stock picks are more like.... 50/50? Joking. The fragility of the movement also gives it character - when it survives all the falls and bumps over say 10 years, and still maintains that 99.99% accuracy, that's what makes you say wow.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My rotation is Stowa MO and IWC Mark 16.. Plan on picking up something new (vintage) in NY later this year from Tourneau

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An update on my Church's shoe restoration. i have emailed them and I can drop them of in the store in Edinburgh when there (which of course leaves a shoe size hole in my luggage...). Seems like there is one set price for the repair and it includes includes inner sole if required - so think I might continue to wear them lightly (once a fortnight or so, inside only). Quote from email - "Refurbishment covers: Complete long sole and heel replacement, with shoes being pulled over original last, new heel sock and pad, new insole if necessary, re polished and returned in a new box with new shoe bags. The repairs are currently taking about 6 weeks and cost £89.95 per pair, plus P & P. The store will contact you when your shoes are ready to organise payment and shipping. " This was also nice of them to add -
"The longevity of your shoes can be greatly extended by keeping them dry, alternating pairs, storing in a well ventilated place and employing a regular care routine. A full range of shoes accessories; shoe tree, shoe horns, cleaning brushes and shoe polishes are available from the Factory Outlet, our staff will be happy to advise further."
I have posted this before (see below) - but here is the magic (and process) of Church's restoration service. http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/post/5117969310/old-becomes-new-read-more http://www.wallpaper.com/fashion/churchs-repair-service/2450 Unfortunately, the old picture which you could roll across no longer works but other photographs can be send here - http://www.first-magazine.net/2008/06/shoe-repair-the-professional-grown-up-way/
I do hope not. My five year old Church's have developed a small hole in the sole. Very sad. Trying to decide what to do next.
1. Find somewhere to get them fixed in Melbourne/Australia. 2. Send them to Church's from here and get them sent back to my house in Edinburgh once fixed to collect at Christmas. 3. Send them to Church's once in the UK (or hand them in to the Edinburgh store) and get them send back to Australia. I am leaning towards 3. (As I expect they can get cheaper shipping and maybe exclude VAT from price). Not sure of process involved, time or cost. Anyone had shoes repair by Church's or similar (seem to recall Calfornia Dreamer had C&J's fixed). I will get in contact with them too. Other question is do I just keep wearing them until they get fixed or do I stop using them (as I have for now) so the problem does not get worse? If it is one cost for any refurbishment then maybe no harm in wearing until they are sent to be fixed. Appreciate any experience/knowledge/general abuse about this. Here is the offending hole in the sole.
Here is post I made a while back...nice to see I agree with my old self (except it only took 5 years not 10 for shoes to need repaired, but I have a lot more shoes to rotate through now).
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Turns out the water seepage was from the top of the shoe as the wind whipped rain under my trouser cuffs. The outermost layer of the oak bark soles were soaked, but not through to the inside - thank you Goodyear welt. As for the uppers, the water just wiped off with no harm. After letting them dry out naturally on shoe trees, I reapplied some shoe cream and they were good as new. I now have no fear about wearing these in the rain nor feel a need to topy.
Thank you PoP, and I agree regarding your answer Blahman's exposed stitching question. __PG__ - Cycling in seems like the perfect reason to wear leather soled shoes. Use a rucksack or pannier and enjoy yourself using the lift and carpet. bhall41 - Score leather soles with a letter opener or knife to get a little grip, a couple of Xs or diamonds usually does the trick. Blahman - Church's restoration service is about 85 GBP, around AU$150 just now, and you would only need to do it once every 10-20 years depending and you could get results like the attached image. See more at: http://linenforsummertweedforwinter....-new-read-more This is why you buy, and pay for, quality.
[

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vastly prefer watches that are acutally accurate instad of endless faux-romanticism panache for watches that are, objectively, inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads