Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Click on 'My Profile' in the menu at the top. Near the bottom of the page, you can click on 'Edit Signature Text' and put your signature in.

2. tomee

tomee Senior member

Doh! thanks for that

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

I wouldn't try the the extreme stripping colour method on those brand new shoes - yet.

Instead of the Kiwi Nugget you might be better of trying a Collinol Cream paste from the sponge topped tube. More colour less wax and avoid that cracking. You wont get such a dark colour immediately ( I think) but it will look interesting over time.

Theres at least one thread on here with pictures of people successfully taking the complete strip back and change colour route.

Depending on what you already have in shoes - I'd be inclined to just try a darker brown for a while and see. Brown and Mahogany say every third clean, will look good.

er I should add - this is not professional advice etc etc and no responsibility taken etc etc.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  4. joiji

joiji Senior member

As fxh hinted at, the cracking is the wax, which is caked ontop of the leather, breaking under stress. To properly change the colour of a pair of shoes you'll need to do a pretty aggressive strip, and then colour. I did it recently with a pair of Barker's which i can snap a couple of pictures of if you'd like, but it's just a process of using an aggressive solvent (I used acetone, I had some laying around but any paint shop should sell you a pot fairly cheap.) and rubbing the existing finish and colour off, then dying the leather. You won't get a perfectly uniform colour like a tannery will, but it will get more and more uniform as you polish it over time.

If you want to know more I can direct you to some relevant tutorials/products, but realise you won't be able to turn back if you dont like the finish (about the only option that is 100% successful is black).

5. joiji

joiji Senior member

6. tomee

tomee Senior member

Awesome thanks guys. Wouldn't mind having a look at those tutorials and pics if you dont mind?

7. joiji

joiji Senior member

White to black: http://www.styleforum.net/t/111897/paul-smith-starr-dye-results-pics
    Brandy to dark brown: http://www.styleforum.net/t/47061/adventures-in-dyeing-antiquing-shoes-a-preview
    Ron Rider's antiquing explanation: http://www.styleforum.net/t/45530/shoe-antiquing/15

There's more around you can find with a simple search for shoe dying/colouring, but those three aren't bad.

I'll throw up a picture of mine this week for you.

8. centrix

centrix Senior member

hi styleforum gents, Im a foreign student, living in sydney. Ive been wearing sports outerwear for the past few months, and have gotten so sick and tired of it frankly. I want to step up my game and go back to my old style, but have no idea where to procure some outwear. It would help if it is low cost, since i am living the life of a impoverished student afterall. Any reccomendations would help. Im quite big and relatively fat, 6 ft tall slightly above 200 pounds haha.

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Sorry, what do you mean by 'outwear'...?

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Hi centrix! What is your old style?

11. sliq

sliq Senior member

thrift; that'll save you plenty of money.

i went out to dinner with some good friends on friday and they were blown away by my thrift fit. everything except for my underwear and socks was thrifted, i.e. suit, shirt, tie and shoes. didn't cost me more than $48 altogether, and it looked like $700+ outfit.

12. centrix

centrix Senior member

Well I'm looking for something that can be dressed up and dressed down, like I'm thinking of getting a pair of rm Williams and wear a ton of denim and chinos. If I can find a cheaper alternative to rm Williams I'm open to that too. I was thinking of getting a peacoat, but it
    Is starting to feel like everyone is wearing it. Where are good places to thrift? I'm new to this
    Thrifting thing but I'm totally open to it since it seems pretty
    Cool.

13. sliq

sliq Senior member

here's a good start:

http://opshop.org/

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Do they have DFO in Sydney?

You might pick up some stuff there.

15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

RM Williams, some patterned/striped shirts, merino knits, denim/chinos, and some funky knit ties. Sorted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.