• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKLan

Reaction score

I think those need meds.

Johknee

Reaction score
I popped into Herman Bros last week for a fitting. Good cloth selection, and makes overcoats which should be useful for the coming winter.

Decided on a light weight casual navy suit. Minimal shoulder padding, patch pockets, quarter lined.

5 weeks till we see the result.

Are the Herman Bros good journalists? BUONJOURNO!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would I go about purchasing and restoring an old Omega Seamaster?

Look on eBay, a vintage watch re-seller with a dedicated website, or someone with a good rep on Timezone or similar.

If buying from eBay, look for perfect feedback, preferably a watch business.

There are a number of good guides on the net that tell you how to spot the differences between fake and real Seamasters, such as:

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/How-to-Spot-a-Fake-Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-300-/10000000000958528/g.html

With regard to restoring, hopefully any watch that you buy won't need any restoration as it will be good running condition. For a lot of people who buy vintage watches, having "patina" is all part of the charm of a vintage watch. To be frank, I don't really agree as if I'm buying a watch I want it to be in as good condition as possible but I suppose that some patina at least helps to reduce the chance that it's a fake (of particular concern when buying Rolexes).

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good to hear guys and thanks for supporting my stockist. Will actually be in Sydney next week for a day trip and hoping to drop in and see him

Good to hear you've expanded!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been wearing Tom Ford Noir de Noir today perfect for autumn, first time I've worn it in a while. Not only impressed by its complexity, but also by it's longevity. Thanks again PP.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look on eBay, a vintage watch re-seller with a dedicated website, or someone with a good rep on Timezone or similar.

If buying from eBay, look for perfect feedback, preferably a watch business.

There are a number of good guides on the net that tell you how to spot the differences between fake and real Seamasters, such as:

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/How-to-Spot-a-Fake-Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-300-/10000000000958528/g.html

With regard to restoring, hopefully any watch that you buy won't need any restoration as it will be good running condition. For a lot of people who buy vintage watches, having "patina" is all part of the charm of a vintage watch. To be frank, I don't really agree as if I'm buying a watch I want it to be in as good condition as possible but I suppose that some patina at least helps to reduce the chance that it's a fake (of particular concern when buying Rolexes).

Ideally I'd go a new watch - I don't think Omega make seamstress in the same design anymore.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ideally I'd go a new watch - I don't think Omega make seamstress in the same design anymore.

It all depends on what design of seamstress (sic!) you'd like.

If you want one of the classic, dressier Seamaster designs from the 1950s or 1960s, sometimes called the Seamaster de Ville models, then you're out of luck, as Omega don't make them anymore. You can, however, pick up pretty decent vintage models for anywhere from US$650 up to a couple of thousand, depending on the model, condition, whether it is steel or gold, whether it has things that make it attractive to collectors (particular style of lugs, particular dial or subdial) etc.

Omega has, however, recently begun re-introducing some of their more classic designs. Of course, they've given them fancy movements, slapped a transparent case-back on them so you can see the fancy movements, and jacked the price up.

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...a-150-m/master-co-axial-385-mm/23110392101002

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...150-m/co-axial-annual-calendar/23113432202003

They even re-introduced a model with a lovely sub-seconds dial, but for some reason which is utterly unfathomable to me, they put it in a case which is 5cm in diameter!

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/aqua-terra-150-m/xxl-small-seconds/23113491006001

Here's an original with the sub-seconds dial, in a sensible size:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-OMEGA-...993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636e9fcd1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur