• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats if you are serious about running and dont want any injures that could have easily been prevented.

Anyone doing the Sydney half marathon in Sept?

@Nabil - you can easily run that pace. Obviously you don't run that pace everyday. The trick is to get a really good program and never run the same pace/distance two days in a row.

@Marbles - Cheers for directing us to Wiggle.

@Lach - Minimalist running isn't a trend, we've been doing it for about 40,000 years.

@G-banger - I was thinking about doing the half-marathon but I ran City2Surf the other weekend in a pair of old ASICS and I totally busted my foot, so I can't run for a while. That's another note, if you train barefoot on grass all the time, and then suddenly switch it to old shoes and go out hard, you'll destroy yourself. Blisters and blood was everywhere. So yes, get the right shoe :).

JayH

Reaction score
good advice - Go to footlocker and find out if you pronate or overpronate and get them to recommend you a shoe, nothing worse than buying online and having the wrong shoe. thats if you are serious about running and dont want any injures that could have easily been prevented.

I have seen too many horror stories with ill fitting equipment for exercise from bikes to running, While getting a pair of dress shoes that are a half size too large, narrow or wide can be an annoyance but nothing that an inner sole or different socks can't sort out. It is easy to overlook the amount of stress coming through contact points when exercising, for running that being the shoes. Saving a bit of money buying online and getting a bad fit can quickly be a negative saving when you are looking at $75 per session with a physio.

Nolvadex

Reaction score

good advice - Go to footlocker and find out if you pronate or overpronateand get them to recommend you a shoe, nothing worse than buying online and having the wrong shoe. thats if you are serious about running and dont want any injures that could have easily been prevented.

You can look at the wear of the rubber heel on your dress shoes

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Lach - Minimalist running isn't a trend, we've been doing it for about 40,000 years.

Oh come on, that is incredibly trite, it is absolutely a trend over the last 5 years since Nike went with the Free run, copying the 5 fingers fad (which are only 10 years old themselves).

Whether it stays around, or the wheel turns back to "you need the most support you can get" which defined 1980s and 1990s running is what remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Superfudge

Reaction score
Would be interested to know what draws you to American Psycho.

Not trying to be critical, btw; genuinely interested to know. I have a blog named 'greed and disgust' after all. ; )

This is pretty common for people who don't actually remember the eighties first hand. The novel is a shallow, vacuous and soulless ****-heap, which I guess it has to be to be a relevant cristicism of the decade, but boy it makes for a tough read. The film, I think, is too much fun, it loses a lot of the banality that makes the novel such an edifying drag.

I don't think the film works as a criticism of the eighties, it's a bit too nostalgic, and not really how I remember them.

The music back then was still ******* awesome though.

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Superfudge - agree with every word of your American Psycho book review except for "shitheap". It's confronting, hilarious, totally original, and brilliant. This was the first of a trilogy (including Glamarama and Lunar Park) in which Ellis really hit his career peak.

The movie nearly made it over the line (and Bale is fabulous), but ultimately is played a little too hard for laughs, at the expense of the book's profound darkness.

Regarding running shoes, I've been on Vibram 5-fingers for a couple of years and love them, even on hard pavement. But they really force one to use a different - dare I say it, "more correct" style. I find now that even in "normal" running shoes, I take the impact with the balls of my feet rather than my heels. I think it's a great way to run and the entire theory behind it makes perfect sense to me.

charliechan

Reaction score
Completely agree.

I'm a casual runner, and I sometimes wear the runners as beaters to get coffee or to throw out the garbage.

Serious running shoes (Asics, New Balace, Saucony) are an investment, and cost about $300 and upwards.

Hmm I think investment might be stretching it a bit, unless you are a short / mid distance track runner. Once you start doing long / endurance distance on roads, you will be wearing your shoes out six months at a time... assuming you mean serious running shoes for serious runners.. I think we are saying the same thing though.. don't buy expensive runners! Buy 'good' runners, for your feet / running style. I used to buy the same model in bulk once I find a good one.

Quote:
It is a bit of a fad isn't it, although I like to think of it as a developing niche, there are definite advantages depending on the runner. I do lunch time runs at the Botanical Gardens and rarely see people wearing the 5 fingers. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]I've had 2 pairs for four years but was only an occasional user until recently - it is very good for the joints, but takes ALOT of getting used to. Man I I'm such a shoe addict.[/FONT]

Superfudge

Reaction score
Superfudge - agree with every word of your American Psycho book review except for "shitheap". It's confronting, hilarious, totally original, and brilliant.

I have a love/hate relationship with that book. I get what it's trying to do and I respect the author for doing it, I just feel that the joke is often at the reader's expense. There's vast barren tracts of literary wasteland between the funny parts and the funniest one didn't even make it into the film. I guess getting Tom Cruise to cameo would have been too much, but hey, they could have used Miles Fisher!

For Brett Easton Ellis movie adaptations, The Rules of Attraction hits the mark better than most.

Marbles

Reaction score
I take the impact with the balls of my feet rather than my heels. I think it's a great way to run and the entire theory behind it makes perfect sense to me.
Switching to running on the balls of my feet solved shin splints and feels like I get way better power transfer, although I find that with my casual approach to running frequently I'm now getting really sore points on the inside of my forefoot. Time to HTFU...

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone was looking for a seersucker suit, IIRC

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/haspel-seersucker-suit-for-men~p~4412w/

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick straw poll: what in your opinion (dear reader) are the most SF-approved and versatile colours for t-shirts? White, navy, heather gray...others?

(For possiblities, look here.)

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tobias: white and marle grey. I've seen some people really pull off black too, I personally don't.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick straw poll: what in your opinion (dear reader) are the most SF-approved and versatile colours for t-shirts? White, navy, heather gray...others?

(For possiblities, look here.)

Think you cover the main ones.

Next on the list, for me at least, would be a nice pale pink.

Marble grey is probably my favourite choice.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy t-shirt, and pale pink t-shirt. Natural white t-shirt is good. Optic white is too white for me, sometimes.

The single BEST thing, though, when it comes to wearing t-shirts it to keep yourself in the best physical condition/shape possible. You invariably look better in the t-shirt, and probably without, but that doesn't interest me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads